got my acceptance letter from Iowa State yesterday, housing suggestions?

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Just got my congratulations/acceptance letter from Iowa State yesterday. I have to admit i'm pretty excited. Any suggestions for housing? best dorm rooms closest to campus, etc?

Reactions: ISUKyro

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Just got my congratulations/acceptance letter from Iowa State yesterday. I have to admit i'm pretty excited. Any suggestions for housing? best dorm rooms closest to campus, etc?
I'm pretty far removed from the housing situation. Hopefully some of the younger guys here can help you. I'm thinking the dorms where Helser used to be are the closest. Maple Willow Larch was nice when I lived there.
Congratulations either way.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Stay where I stayed, Storm Towers baby! Oh wait......

In all honesty if I moved in now I'd want to be as close to the UDCC as possible. I'd look at Friley.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If you want the best experience available I'd say Friley. If you want comfort/nicest dorm then Eaton or Martin would be the choice but they come at a premium price.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Every dorm is close to campus, except the towers. The closest are probably dorms in the UDA, followed by the RCA, and the farthest away are Maple, Willow, and Larch (but, still not too bad as those are right on the Orange route, and just a block farther away than RCA).

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Every dorm is close to campus, except the towers. The closest are probably dorms in the UDA, followed by the RCA, and the farthest away are Maple, Willow, and Larch (but, still not too bad as those are right on the Orange route, and just a block farther away than RCA).
The bus makes everything easy access from MWL. We had to pay when I lived there.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I liked Birch-Welch-Roberts.

The very good side of BWR is that it has some of the larger rooms on campus.

Downside is that it is an all guys dorm. (but Oak-Elm is an all girls dorm right across the courtyard.)

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I really liked living in Friley and BWR. There really isn't a bad residence hall on campus though...some would argue Helser.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Definitely...join a Fraternity. Live in the dorms for a year maybe, but then join the big leagues. That's where the parties and hot girls are.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I lived in BWR my first year, and all I can say is stay the hell away. No AC and the building is so incredibly old and not updated. I had to tape my plugs into the outlets to keep them from falling out. Personally I loved living in Fredrikson but I can't remember if they allow freshmen into the student apartments or not. Helser to me seemed like the best dorm, always had a tightknit group of guys there.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I had a blast when I lived in the dorms at Friley. Long time ago though. If you're in Engineering, most of the classes will be near Friley.

cylen

Jul 5, 2006
close to your classes - UDA (friley, helser, the new suites)
close to the girls - RCA & Maple, Willow, Larch

at least that's how it was back in my day (1999-2004)

Help Support Us

Become a patron