Good books

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance, fits none of your genre's of interest but I love it.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I know this was posted recently, perhaps this past summer (long time member, but I rarely post). But, I've just finished a book and am struggling to find something interesting. I enjoy Horror, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and sports books, but I am always willing to try any genre if the book is interesting enough. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I just finished Hade's Gambit (think end of days with zombies). Full disclosure - the lead author is my brother, so I read it with an overly critical eye. And, I must say while it isn't the greatest book of all time, it was certainly enjoyable, and I'm eagerly awaiting book 2 sometime next spring. I recommend it if you enjoy Stephen King/Dan Brown/Left Behind and the like.

What Should I Read Next? Book recommendations from readers like you

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
The Risk Pool - Richard Russo
The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay

Nowhere close to the areas of interest you mentioned. But really outstanding novels.

Reactions: jcats322

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove. Good stuff.

A group of South Africans upset with the freeing of America's slaves travels back in time to hand off modern-day rations and weapons to Lee and his army. AK-47s produce a dramatic change in the South's fortunes.

Turtledove went on to write a series (with the time travel) in which the South outlasted the North to remain independent. He took that series all the way to the end of World War II.

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
Reading 11-22-63 right now. Excellent book, but I love almost all of King's work. If you want a good time travel story, there is a great two book series, Blackout/All Clear, by Connie Willis. Only time travel story I've ever read or seen that avoids all the plot holes. I'll second the Ender series by Orson Scott Card. I think I read all 4 books in less than two weeks. Also second Ready Player One. If you grew up in the 80's you will love that one. For sports books, I just finished Perfection by Bob Griese. Really enjoyed it, but I'll admit I'm a huge Dolphins fan.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's gripping, even as the murderer fileted the skin from his victims. The idea that somebody actually built that murder house in Chicago is chilling and thrilling.

Theres two or three more by that guy, same type of books.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I no longer read fiction and prefer well-written non-fiction.

My latest read:
The Shooting Salvationist: J. Frank Norris and the Murder Trial that Captivated America

Read the reviews. Best story I never heard about until I tore through the book.

The Shooting Salvationist: J. Frank Norris and the Murder Trial that Captivated America: David R. Stokes, Bob Schieffer: 9781586421861: Amazon.com: Books

Learned that story in seminary. What I know is amazing. I can only imagine that the whole story is even wilder.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
For reals tho:

Michael Lewis
- Liar's Poker - 80's mortgage business boom & daily life on the trading floor
- The Big Short - Story of the '07-'08 crash, mortgage back securities, and credit default swaps (and how people got loaded off the crash)
- Boomerang - Author's travels through the "new third world" - Europe's financial crisis causes/effects

only genre I can really buy a book and be excited to sit down and read

View attachment 16244

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
For fantasy, Robin Hobb, and Lois McMaster Bujold are good. I thought the Sharing Knife series was very good by Bujold recently but almost all her books are good and relaxing. The Vorkosigan books, you should take her advice on where to start and finish. Robin Hobb, I didn't care for the Soldier's son series but the rest of her books are good. Generally, I enjoy reading Dickens. I also enjoy the English writer, A.S. Byatt. I have enjoyed Sherri Tepper's writing in Sci. Fi. You might not like her if you are conservative. But if you enjoy getting angry, no one can make conservatives more angry than Sherri Tepper. I have read almost all of Phillip ****'s books. I like some of Tim Power's potboilers. A.A. Attanasio has written some outstanding books which are always interesting to me anyway.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
His "In the Garden of Beasts" is fascinating if you are a WWII buff.

I am a sucker for non-fiction history novels. All of Erik Larson's stuff that I've read is great. I'm reading Candice Millard's "Destiny of the Republic" right now. It's in a similar style to Larson's and I'm enjoying it.

The book I've most enjoyed lately though is "Brave Dragons" by Jim Yardley. It's a really interesting look at professional basketball in China.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron