Good books

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I know this was posted recently, perhaps this past summer (long time member, but I rarely post). But, I've just finished a book and am struggling to find something interesting. I enjoy Horror, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and sports books, but I am always willing to try any genre if the book is interesting enough. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I just finished Hade's Gambit (think end of days with zombies). Full disclosure - the lead author is my brother, so I read it with an overly critical eye. And, I must say while it isn't the greatest book of all time, it was certainly enjoyable, and I'm eagerly awaiting book 2 sometime next spring. I recommend it if you enjoy Stephen King/Dan Brown/Left Behind and the like.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I know this was posted recently, perhaps this past summer (long time member, but I rarely post). But, I've just finished a book and am struggling to find something interesting. I enjoy Horror, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and sports books, but I am always willing to try any genre if the book is interesting enough. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I just finished Hade's Gambit (think end of days with zombies). Full disclosure - the lead author is my brother, so I read it with an overly critical eye. And, I must say while it isn't the greatest book of all time, it was certainly enjoyable, and I'm eagerly awaiting book 2 sometime next spring. I recommend it if you enjoy Stephen King/Dan Brown/Left Behind and the like.

If you like sports books than you should check out Mike Leach's "Swing Your Sword." Great Book.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Ever heard of Harlan Coben? Great author, has a series about a sports agent whose clients always seem to get in some sort of trouble. Good thriller/ mystery action stuff. Quick, fun reads. He has a few other independent books, I don't remember the plots in particular, though.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Brent Weeks books, just finished the Night Angel series over the summer, very good. Haven't started his new series yet but looking forward to them

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Ender's Game- great book, great series of books.

I have been enjoying the Warhammer 40k books a lot.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm enjoying Game of Thrones, though there is a bit too much made of the underage sex thing in it. I can understand trying to set the book in a place with a different set of values (more medieval-like times), but the way the books revel in it at times is a bit gross and unnecessary.

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
Since you're a sci-fi and fantasy guy, you've probably already read all of these, but....

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy
Pat Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicle (beware, this is not finished. third book is still being written)
Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Series (once more beware, not finished)
Phillip K **** - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Selected Stories.
Frank Herbert - Dune
Dan Simmons - Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion
Orson Scott Card - Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Since you're a sci-fi and fantasy guy, you've probably already read all of these, but....

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy
Pat Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicle (beware, this is not finished. third book is still being written)
Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Series (once more beware, not finished)
Phillip K **** - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Selected Stories.
Frank Herbert - Dune
Dan Simmons - Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion
Orson Scott Card - Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead

Not a big fan of the shadow series?

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
For reals tho:

Michael Lewis
- Liar's Poker - 80's mortgage business boom & daily life on the trading floor
- The Big Short - Story of the '07-'08 crash, mortgage back securities, and credit default swaps (and how people got loaded off the crash)
- Boomerang - Author's travels through the "new third world" - Europe's financial crisis causes/effects

only genre I can really buy a book and be excited to sit down and read

Last edited:

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I've been reading The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. It's a great sci-fi, sort of a hard-sf-ish space opera set in an interesting universe.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Last book I read that really hit the spot for me was the Stephen King book 11-22-63. Time travel premise which I am a huge sucker for. Basically the guy goes back and tries to stop the Oswald Kennedy assassination. I think it came out late last year, but if you haven't read it yet, I strongly recommend picking it up.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Read Game of Thrones. Seriously.

For Sci-Fi, if you like dark and heavy stuff, go with Hyperion. Less deep: Ender's Game

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I've been reading The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. It's a great sci-fi, sort of a hard-sf-ish space opera set in an interesting universe.

I just finished that series. Some long books, maybe the longest I've ever read! Good series and I really love the Universe its set in, though it could've used a few less pages.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I really liked Bloody Confused, which is about an American sports writer who moves to the U.K. and starts following an English soccer club. I also really liked the year of living biblically and the last testament: a memoir by God. The year of living biblically is about a guy who decides to spend a year following every rule in the bible. And the last testament is a tell all book written from the perspective of God. Both are funny but the last testament is very sacrilegious so if you're religious you might not find it as funny.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron