Golf irons... what to buy?

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
There are so many options and I dont know where to begin. I started to golf every weekend and I want to upgrade my irons. My budget is about $750. What brands are good at that price point? Where should I buy them? Do I need a flex shaft?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You should be able to get about 9 of them easily, for that price, 3 iron to sand wedge. :D

Pretty helpful, no?

I used to play a lot. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good help soon.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
It depends on your skill level, blades have a smaller sweet spot, but I feel I get more accuracy and control, while cavity backed irons have a bigger sweet spot and are more forgiving, but they aren't as precise. Blades are pricier as well, so keep that in mind. Kinley's on Fleur Drive has a nice selection, and they also have some nice used sets of the high dollar clubs.

steveocy

Jun 19, 2006
Will your irons last another year? If so might I suggest you spend some money on lessons (I like Mark Egly at Des Moines driving range) and spend some time at the range this year and then get fitted next year by a local fitter.

I did it the opposite way and had to get my lie angle and shafts changed out on the Mizuno irons I bought. I would have been better off fixing my swing first. Mark knew right away that the clubs were wrong for me. A lot of club pros can do both lessons and fittings

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
For your budget range I have heard that Takomo irons have been good. They have gotten some pretty good reviews and have been compared to some of the major brands. Downside is you can only buy them online.

I would also suggest getting fit for irons. Even if you don’t buy them from the fitter you will at least get an idea of what type of iron you should play, how long the club should be, and what lofts and lie angles you should be playing. For anyone playing regularly getting fit is something I usually suggest.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland has some fat bottomed wedges that are glorious. Very forgiving and give you some loft.

Reactions: JVAR

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
North Iowa golf is a great deal. Wife has Pings and I was surprised at the cost when we got the final tally. Was a few years ago, but they do a lot of work themselves. If you have decent clubs already, they will buy your old ones also.

How hard do you swing? I overswing so metal shafts on irons are what I go with. If you have a controlled swing, a shaft that flexes more would be fine.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
There are so many options and I dont know where to begin. I started to golf every weekend and I want to upgrade my irons. My budget is about $750. What brands are good at that price point? Where should I buy them? Do I need a flex shaft?
Get fitted. You won't regret it. Wagner in Ames will fit you for free. Golf Galaxy charges around $100 I think. I'm sure Kinley will too but don't know if they charge.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
I bought my set of used AP1's from Kinleys for around that price point. They are super helpful. I bought a Stealth driver last year and got fitted for it at Golf Galaxy. Not sure the kid knew much other than swing speed - probably will stay away from there if i ever get fitted again.

Looking for lessions this year - if people have others they recomend, please share.

Reactions: cyputz

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Will your irons last another year? If so might I suggest you spend some money on lessons (I like Mark Egly at Des Moines driving range) and spend some time at the range this year and then get fitted next year by a local fitter.

I did it the opposite way and had to get my lie angle and shafts changed out on the Mizuno irons I bought. I would have been better off fixing my swing first. Mark knew right away that the clubs were wrong for me. A lot of club pros can do both lessons and fittings
Mark Egly is certainly an option, but be aware, he's not for everyone. He has a very different philosophy than everyone else I've ever taken lessons with (or at least he did the last time I went there 15 years ago or so). I found his snappy-wrist style of swing hard to build any consistency with.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Get fitted. You won't regret it. Wagner in Ames will fit you for free. Golf Galaxy charges around $100 I think. I'm sure Kinley will too but don't know if they charge.
I second this, and the guys at Wagner are very friendly and helpful. Even if you don’t end up getting new clubs the fitting will give you a basis for what to look for.

Reactions: stuclone

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Ironically, I bought a used set of irons from 2nd Swing that arrived yesterday. I have been using my set from high school for way too long. Also, I am 6'3" so I really needed an extra half inch in the shaft.

My budget was much lower than yours but I scooped some Ping I3s for $300. They came in great condition and the best part was they have such a massive inventory I was able to find a used set using Pings fitting system to get my proper length, lie angle, and shaft type/flex.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Mark Egly is certainly an option, but be aware, he's not for everyone. He has a very different philosophy than everyone else I've ever taken lessons with (or at least he did the last time I went there 15 years ago or so). I found his snappy-wrist style of swing hard to build any consistency with.

That guy is still around!!?? LOL. I took lessons from him like 30 years ago. He was a goober back then. Can't imagine him now.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I bought my set of used AP1's from Kinleys for around that price point. They are super helpful. I bought a Stealth driver last year and got fitted for it at Golf Galaxy. Not sure the kid knew much other than swing speed - probably will stay away from there if i ever get fitted again.

Looking for lessions this year - if people have others they recomend, please share.
Moving beyond the “get fitted” response that I completely agree with, if you’re going to skip that step, I also agree that Titleist AP1’s, as mentioned here, are solid, solid irons around the OPs price point.

Now…I’d probably bite the bullet and spend an extra couple hundred for AP2’s, but AP1’s are good clubs.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
If you are anywhere in central iowa my brother in law owns a custom golf shop in ft Dodge I can get you a pretty good deal

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I'll second Kinley's. Local small business, way better service and prices are competitive.

Pretty sure my Taylormade Sim 2's were in that range (5-PW). If you swing fast, get the stiff shafts. If you don't, flex shafts.
I have the same set. I think they are great clubs for the money.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride