Golf irons... what to buy?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I switched from 15 year old Wilson Di7s to Ping G425s with graphite shafts last fall. Highly recommend graphite shafts if it falls in the price range.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I bought my set of used AP1's from Kinleys for around that price point. They are super helpful. I bought a Stealth driver last year and got fitted for it at Golf Galaxy. Not sure the kid knew much other than swing speed - probably will stay away from there if i ever get fitted again.

Looking for lessions this year - if people have others they recomend, please share.
I went this route last time I bought my irons, and everything came out standard / off-the-rack. Yay, me - or the kid didn't know what he was doing...

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Anybody recommending a specific iron is trying to help you out but doing nothing for you. Without knowing your skill level and swing speed it's pointless. Go to any golf store worth their salt and you can hit their used irons in the simulator. $750 is not going to get you a full set of new irons unless you go off-brand. (Or you get to use a Personal Use Discount working for a golf store like my son just did getting Cobra King Tour irons for $800, retail was $1,300.)

If you go in and try out used clubs you will get an idea of what you like and then search 2nd Swing or something for what you are looking for. Or maybe you will like one of the sets in the store. If you are tall my son is selling his +1" M5s with stiff shaft, 4-Gap wedge. ;)

Nobody is suggesting Austad's, so I will. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Anybody recommending a specific iron is trying to help you out but doing nothing for you. Without knowing your skill level and swing speed it's pointless. Go to any golf store worth their salt and you can hit their used irons in the simulator. $750 is not going to get you a full set of new irons unless you go off-brand. (Or you get to use a Personal Use Discount working for a golf store like my son just did getting Cobra King Tour irons for $800, retail was $1,300.)

If you go in and try out used clubs you will get an idea of what you like and then search 2nd Swing or something for what you are looking for. Or maybe you will like one of the sets in the store. If you are tall my son is selling his +1" M5s with stiff shaft, 4-Gap wedge. ;)

Nobody is suggesting Austad's, so I will. :)

I'll second Austad's. Got fitted there a while back in Cedar Rapids. Great people.

Reactions: stateofmind

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Anyone tried Club Champion for fitting? The advice I got was definitely go there for a fitting, and definitely don’t buy your clubs through them.

Reactions: cyfan2163

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
Ironically, I bought a used set of irons from 2nd Swing that arrived yesterday. I have been using my set from high school for way too long. Also, I am 6'3" so I really needed an extra half inch in the shaft.

My budget was much lower than yours but I scooped some Ping I3s for $300. They came in great condition and the best part was they have such a massive inventory I was able to find a used set using Pings fitting system to get my proper length, lie angle, and shaft type/flex.

Is that ironic? Or Coincidental?

Clone Head

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
Checkout MyGolfSpy, see link below. This is an independent golf website that doesn't accept any advertisement $'s from the manufacturers. Annually they test all categories of clubs by skill level, i.e. players clubs, game improvement and super game improvement. MyGolfSpy is a great website with extensive reviews on clubs, balls and equipment.

Golf Digest Hot List is also a good resource.

As others have said get fitted, also see if there are any demo days scheduled in your area. I have bought many clubs from Callaway Preowned and eBay.

In the men's club I play in, a lot of players (myself included) play Mizuano irons.

Good luck
https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/irons/

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'll second Austad's. Got fitted there a while back in Cedar Rapids. Great people.
Their manager was a classmate of mine in high school. The assistant I think is going to take the manager position at the end of this month. And my son works in Des Moines. I really like them. Wagner's pulled my son's job out from under him the week of finals, and really glad he did now.

cyfan2163

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2020
Got fitted at club champion last year, it is a bit pricey but well worth it for fully customized clubs. Great experience all around and would highly recommend.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
lot of good feed back in this thread. The one thing I see people doing more these days is skipping the 3-4 irons and adding in a hybrid or two that might be easier to hit.

In my old set that I replaced, my 4 iron was my favorite long club in the fairway. My 3 iron (then and a little less so with my new set) I could probably throw in a creek, along with my 5W. It feels like I have such a narrow window for success with them. I probably should look into a hybrid in that range.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Make sure you get fitted and also consider hybrids. They are more accurate that long and mid irons, for me.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I’ve been thinking about this for a while. For someone with a $750 budget, a $100 fitting doesn’t make a whole hell of a lot of sense, IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron