Given what we're all assuming with Dekkers, who do you want to start at QB?

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Becht will be QB1 to start the season.

I'm excited to hear how fall camp goes - Kohl has been on campus since January while Hughes got here in June. It will be the first time the staff can evaluate all three QBs at once. How much Dekkers is involved in camp/with the team likely depends on the findings of the investigation and coaches discretion - to which we truly know none of at this time.

I anticipate Rocco is given at least 4-5 games to show what he has. If positive - he will likely keep the job throughout the year. If negative - we likely see JJ get some reps at some point mid season. (By that time, he would've been on campus for pretty much a full year - being an early enrollee). Let's not forget that JJ was being hounded by both Harbaugh at Michigan, and Rhule at Nebraska to flip during his senior year. He's got talent and size, listed at 6'7 250 now. Turned down some major NIL money to stay a Cyclone. Will be fun to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: mitchforcy

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Not sure why people are overlooking him. Has the most college experience, even though it is Juco, and has performed well when given the opportunities
I think it is because he was pretty much an 'emergency take' when it was found that Dekkers was - allegedly - involved in the investigation.

I have a hard time believing that Hughes is a B12 starter - given it sounds like ISU was his only P5 offer and that offer came in the middle of June because of some unforeseen circumstances. I think he was taken bc the staff realized that if the Dekkers stuff turned to be bad - they would've be left with just Becht and Kohl as eligible QBs.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Perhaps because its risky to start a young promising player on an underdeveloped (bad) team. I don't think all experience is necessarily good experience.
It is also vital for the entire team that you start game 1 with the guy who gives you the best chance to win at that point - not what might happen a year down the road. All 85+ guys on the team need to buy into the concept that everyone has to earn their playing time. If the season doesn't play out well, maybe give the promising guys a shot late in the year.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I think it is because he was pretty much an 'emergency take' when it was found that Dekkers was - allegedly - involved in the investigation.

I have a hard time believing that Hughes is a B12 starter - given it sounds like ISU was his only P5 offer and that offer came in the middle of June because of some unforeseen circumstances. I think he was taken bc the staff realized that if the Dekkers stuff turned to be bad - they would've be left with just Becht and Kohl as eligible QBs.
I dont think there is a singe QB that comes into the program that is B12 ready. Whether that be from HS or Juco, etc. Purdy may be the outlier in this scenario. Hopefully you have the right guy as QB coach now, and they are able to develop them, whether it be Hughes, Becht, or Kohl

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
My guess is Rocco starts and stumbles and then JJ comes in for 4 years. Thinking zeb Nolan and Brock purdy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
For what it's worth my Dad has been saying Dekkers is gone and he was a high school coach and seems to get good info.
Oh yeah I know he’s gone. Heard he’s going to an NAIA school. I just didn’t know what the above poster was saying in regards to “don’t see how anyone would stick around”. Did they mean doesn’t see how Dekkers could stay on or do they mean others wouldn’t want to be with the program anymore

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I've seen nothing that indicates that Dekkers is leaving. Campbell at media day said that everyone was still working out and that he was impressed with Dekkers work ethic this off-season.

Not sure where you guys are hearing this stuff. Not even Williams or Blum have alluded to anything more than a suspension.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I’m of the mind that Rocco and Hughes give us more this year than Dekkers would - mentally and mobility wise. And then JJ is the future.

Dekkers has all the physical tools, I just don’t think he has the mental side to put it all together. I’ve heard similar for a year from inside the program.
I’ve heard the same from people that know him. Frankly not a great leader either from everything I’ve been told.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Others have already made most of my points.... a couple things:

1) Brock Purdy started as a true freshmen and did not arrive on campus until fall camp. He took over in his 5th game.

2) I think Rocco is ahead of the 2018 QBs but JJ is probably the highest regarded QB recurit we have ever landed and arrived on campus in Jan.

3) Ultimately, I think the staff will give the job to Rocco to see what he can do. If successful, they probably won't change QBs, If not JJ will get a shot similar to Purdy.