Given what we're all assuming with Dekkers, who do you want to start at QB?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I’d want Kohl in that situation. CW said it in a recent pod and I hope everyone picked up on it “this is another rebuilding year”.
if were looking long term- start kohl this year and let him build experience.

if were destined for 3-9 or 4-8 this year- why not?

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I’d want Kohl in that situation. CW said it in a recent pod and I hope everyone picked up on it “this is another rebuilding year”.

Perhaps because its risky to start a young promising player on an underdeveloped (bad) team. I don't think all experience is necessarily good experience.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Like what I see for the most part. My only critique is his throwing motion/release looks a little clunky. I am a super amateur scout when it comes to football though, for what it's worth.
It's actually the first thing that I noticed too. Overall pretty weird but I'd think/hope that's something we could help with. His running ability looks promising though and he did show some pocket presence.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I think we'll roll out Rocco right away and see how he does.. If it goes promising, I think he stays on. If not, let's give the young gun a shot. I will say I'll be incredibly disappointed if we end up at 3-9. Losing the alleged guys makes this more of a rebuilding year than it should be but we're still most likely going to have a top 30 defense in the nation.

Reactions: CoachHines3

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This.

If Kohl is better and they know it, I’ll be livid if we **** around with Rocco because he “deserves” it.

But if Rocco’s better, I want him to play.
Agree. Although Rocco played a little last year I certinly don't think being here for a year and playing sparingly has him deserving of anything. If JJ or Hughes is better in camp then they should start, bottom line.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
We won 6 games with Jantz, Barnett, and Richardson. Anything can happen.

I want to see Rocco get the start with Hughes utilized like K State used to run their stable of big, mobile QBs over the years.

Let Kohl get some reps when game allows it. Keep that redshirt year unless he has to play.
This is a great point and gives me some optimism. Those were some dark days offensively

Reactions: MugNight

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There’s a little bit of science involved. JJ is obviously the better prospect, doesn’t mean he’s ready. You can also ruin a QB by starting them too early. He’s got to know the offense, and have a chemistry built with the rest of the offense. We definitely need an improved OL for him.

The Juco could be an interesting addition as a running QB wrinkle added to the offense.

Clearly Patrick Mahomes is better than Alex Smith, but Mahomes needed time to develop as an NFL QB and learn the offense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Whimever fits with the best with the makeup of the offense, whether Dekkers is in town or not.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I’m of the mind that Rocco and Hughes give us more this year than Dekkers would - mentally and mobility wise. And then JJ is the future.

Dekkers has all the physical tools, I just don’t think he has the mental side to put it all together. I’ve heard similar for a year from inside the program.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I think we'll roll out Rocco right away and see how he does.. If it goes promising, I think he stays on. If not, let's give the young gun a shot. I will say I'll be incredibly disappointed if we end up at 3-9. Losing the alleged guys makes this more of a rebuilding year than it should be but we're still most likely going to have a top 30 defense in the nation.
the defense could take a step back, but they won't be at fault for our losses....we already know our losses will be because of

a) special teams and
b) offense

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Because you run the risk of ruining him mentally. See Sam Richardson
Sam got ruined his Sophomore year after coming in to start vs Kansas something like 3/4 of the way into his Freshman season. Looked really good until the bowl game/rematch vs Tulsa, and after that was never very good again.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don’t think our record changes depending on who we start. In that case give me Rocco and don’t rush Kohl out there.
I tend to agree. Am I remembering 2003 correctly in that we had a somewhat promising young in-state QB by the name of Bret Meyer that could have started from day 1, but that team was absolutely dog sh*t that year? Then he came in and started the next year as a RS Freshman and looked like that decision paid off really well. I was quite a bit younger then, so may not have that 100% right.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I'll put my money on Hughes. 6'5'' 245 lbs. Not many interceptions. Is he able to run the offense after 1 August with the team?
Not sure why people are overlooking him. Has the most college experience, even though it is Juco, and has performed well when given the opportunities