George Strait at Jack Trice-5/25/24

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
How many of you were at either of the Rolling Stone shows or U2?

U2 redefined what a stadium show could be,.....calling the White House to talk to Pres. Bush 35 years ago.

Or at Paul McCartney?

The first Stones show took 2.5 hours to get out of the stadium lots.

"Not enough beer outlets!!!!" So sad.
The beauty of a walkable campus.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
How many of you were at either of the Rolling Stone shows or U2?

U2 redefined what a stadium show could be,.....calling the White House to talk to Pres. Bush 35 years ago.

Or at Paul McCartney?

The first Stones show took 2.5 hours to get out of the stadium lots.

"Not enough beer outlets!!!!" So sad.
I went to both the U2 and Paul McCartney Concerts.
Genesis and Farm Aid too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't think he played:
Carrying Your Love With Me
Write This Down
and Heartland (which would have went over huge in Ames).

Tough to play everything when there's so many damn hits.

All in all a great show. Hope this is the beginning of more.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Love all the reports in here by attendees.

Just wasn't my thing plus prices and fact that even if I wanted to go I would never be able get out of work.

Glad everyone had a good time.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I know some thought there was no appeal for sitting in Sukup for this but watching the beer line on the field take what looked an hour to get a beer vs basically no lines in Sukup made it more than worth it.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I predict Country also.
I think the outside of the concert experience would have been cooler with CyTown completed.

couple take aways from the concert.
Awesome time for sure.

if I could go back I would not get floor seats. The logistics where awful, but I am not sure how you fix it. getting in and out of the rows were really hard. I think I got about 50 unofficial and unintended lap dances from people just trying to get out and back in our row.

this is an every concert issue, but when are the prices of food/beverage just amaze me.

other than that everything was awesome and enjoyed it.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Great event. George Strait puts on a good show. Unfortunately, I never saw any Ames Lager for sale in the beer line on the field.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I’m not a huge country music fan but went last night and had a good time. Beer lines were long. The one I was in mostly had to do with the card machines/apps malfunctioning or running slow. It certainly didn’t ruin my night, but I don’t think I take these events as seriously as other people do.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If I would have paid that much to go... it would have been to watch the musical acts... not to stand in line for more than an hour for a terrible beer.

It amazes me how much people will pay for things like this to just stand in lines all night. You can't possibly need a beer that bad... unless you have a problem.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Also, sound wise it was great. Shows us that having good audio in Jack Trice is possible.

Reactions: Cy94

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
If I would have paid that much to go... it would have been to watch the musical acts... not to stand in line for more than an hour for a terrible beer.

It amazes me how much people will pay for things like this to just stand in lines all night. You can't possibly need a beer that bad... unless you have a problem.
I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you find a way to be less miserable about it today.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Don’t be a prick this early on a Sunday, it's a long weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Are the speakers outside Hilton and MWL? We could hear word for word Strait singing when we were walking by both buildings.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Don’t be a prick this early on a Sunday, it's a long weekend.

How is that being a prick? Wow... some people are too sensitive on here. Lighten up.

I would pay some big money to see someone like Pink Floyd for instance... but then I wouldn't go to it and miss half the concert while standing in line for a beer. To me, that just defeats the whole point of being there.

And calling JP a dork is like saying water is wet... we all know he's a dork. I think he even knows he's a dork.

Like I said... too many overly sensitive people... RELAX!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I walked right up to the counter for a water. Nobody forced you to get a beverage that the stadium isn't used to serving.
I couldn’t even walk through the concourse. I gave up and just walked back to a clear space to wait.

Entering the stadium was ridiculous too. Trying to get into Ames took forever. I ended up going way out west to avoid some of the traffic. Also once I finally got up to the stadium the line to get in was ridiculous. I managed to avoid a lot of it by going up the student entrance but they have to figure something better out. It made the first game last year look like an efficient process.

Reactions: Cytown12

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Stapleton is a bad live watch regardless. He’s talented and sounds great, but his personality/energy/music is not a great fit for getting a big crowd going

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The whole concert made gamedays look like a super well oiled machine. Absolutely no reception and you couldn’t even walk on the concourses.
We came in the east gate and started to walk around the north and got stopped. So we had to walk all the way down to the south end, around behind Sukup, and back up 2/3 of the way to the stairs, then back south again to get to our seats. That info in the stuff they kept emailing ticket holders would have been useful. What was strangest was the line to get in. We parked near the north end of C4. We got out of the car and realized the line to the gate began at our lot. It went up to Jack Trice Way, followed that to Beach, then south on Beach to the west entrance. Apparently the north gate was closed. Then we saw that the bridge was backed up clear over to the east ramp. I decided to head for the south entrance because it's usually less busy, but as we approached the east gate, we realized that the line at ground level was less than 40 people. We were in line for less than 10 minutes. I guess it's what you know about where the gates are. :D

There were lots of pop up booths on the west concourse - there were also guys with ice filled coolers all over. One of them started bringing his cooler down our stairway and selling in the stands, and did that all the way through Stapleton & Strait. The lines weren't as bad as the concessions...but then again I really wasn't looking for them. What annoyed ME about the lines was the fact that when we were trying to navigate our way around, there were multiple lines that blocked the concourse, and people were really pissy when you asked to pass through the lines...not cut in front, but simply go across the line to continue on our way around the stadium. How else are we supposed to get to our seats? Believe me, I would have been happy to go around the north side and avoid the crowd on the east concourse but that wasn't an option. And I did notice that the concession lines were shorter on the west side, at least when we were entering.

Reactions: wxman1

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My son said traffic on 13th street heading to the interstate was backed up all the way to Northwestern, and that was at like 12:30.

• Wow
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz