***General Cycling Thread***

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Really appreciate it. I may look into a new saddle for a Xmas present or something. I spent enough on the bike for now, though, so it'll be a little bit. I may also look into putting hydraulic brakes on after awhile. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so doing it myself, maybe I can do it somewhat reasonably. It's not a big deal but while we were down there we bought my mom a Quick with hydraulic and just messing around, I could tell they were a step up. That's the one thing I sacrificed on this bike.

I swapped out my BB7's for Shimano XT's on my mountian bike and it was so easy. I could only buy the front pre-bled but had to bleed the rear. I was shocked how simple it was. Just need a bleed kit with the mineral oil.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ya wear those mech brakes out and then upgrade. Your seat is the most important thing that will dictate how much fun you have and how much you get out of your riding. Brooks is the alpha and omega of seats. I’ve been on a B17 for 15 years now. The same B17.

I haven’t looked into it but what will I need to buy to upgrade? Will my existing levers work or am I looking at levers, plumbing and calipers? I’m assuming the same discos will work. I suppose it’d be good to know in case something pops up on one of the for sale sites.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
The Covid-19 stuff isn't going to help with not overinvesting in bike clothes. This summers World Naked Bike Ride's have been cancelled for 2020. :rolleyes:
This on top of everything else. I can’t take much more.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Ya wear those mech brakes out and then upgrade. Your seat is the most important thing that will dictate how much fun you have and how much you get out of your riding. Brooks is the alpha and omega of seats. I’ve been on a B17 for 15 years now. The same B17.

I agree with the seat to point. If its bothering you, switch it. I've tried some expensive saddles but I have stuck with my stock saddles on my bikes. They work for me with or without a chamois on. I haven't tried a Brooks tho but would like to.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just the brake components, correct? I don't need to do anything with drive or shifting components if I understand correctly.

Correct, just a brake kit. The bleed kit might be separate. If price is a concern check eBay or amazon and then do some research and you might be able to find non name branded stuff that comes out of the same Chinese factory.

CloneKing

Apr 5, 2020
Ankeny
I just upgraded from a Trek 7100 hybrid to a Mercier Galaxy. Amazed at how much easier it is to ride. The narrow tires were the biggest thing to get used to and also watching the road/path ahead of you . I just upped the handle bars to the 30 degree position. Not a bad upgrade for $300.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I wouldn't rush into replacing the brakes. Use the mechanicals and you might be happy enough just to replace pads. That said, my road / cross bike does have hydraulic brakes and I sure like them coming down the canyon roads.

I was happy with the BB7's on my mountain bike riding the mild Ireland single track. But it just wasn't enough braking power for riding front range downhill and was affecting my riding style.

All of my bikes are disc brakes, bb7 has enough to stop a fat old guy like me going 20 mph. Even down a hill. I would say if you are not 100% what you need, take it to your local bike shop, explain the problem and let them fix it. I am handy with bikes, but I still let them mess with my brakes.

Now buying new, I got hydraulic 105s on my latest bike, they better, but not is not super noticeable.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All of my bikes are disc brakes, bb7 has enough to stop a fat old guy like me going 20 mph. Even down a hill. I would say if you are not 100% what you need, take it to your local bike shop, explain the problem and let them fix it. I am handy with bikes, but I still let them mess with my brakes.

Now buying new, I got hydraulic 105s on my latest bike, they better, but not is not super noticeable.

Almost went down in light rain yesterday. Guy in his SUV pulled out of a parking lot right in my path. Hit the discs is panic mode and got instant grip. A little too much for the front tire on the wet pavement. Managed to stay upright, just barely, but looked like a drunken sailor for a second or two. Love the power of these, even when wet, but it's easy to overdo the front disc when doing an emergency stop.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Oooh, and don't forget to buy some performance enhancing drugs. All real bikers use them. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Tour De Pharmacy. Great movie lol!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's been an experience so far! First real ride out and I blew a tire. They came tubed but everything was tubeless ready so I just decided to go ahead and go that route. Was stuck in a spot where I had to take it to a different shop since it was close or do it myself. Took it to that shop and my fiance picked them up. Upon pickup, the guy told her he didn't think they'd seal because of the type of tire they are (WTB Exposure 30s). I was a little irritated they didn't tell me that when I dropped off or call me before they did it but I told them to do it so it's on me. Now, the one that was punctured has mostly sealed up but the other tire isn't sealing and it's tire related as leakage is coming from the sidewalls. I'm going to go on a ride tonight and see if that seals it up. If not, I'll add more sealant and see if that helps. I've really ****** myself here as I bought the bike one place and had the work done at another because it would have been weeks before I could get to the other bike place so now everyone is just going to blame everyone else and I'll probably just contact the tire company since it's likely on them anyway.

Otherwise, I love the bike!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There it is!

I run tubeless on my mountain bikes but haven't bothered yet with my road bikes. I tend to use flat-resistant tires and deal with the extra weight rather than go tubeless on road.

Yeah, I think I made a mistake here. I wanted to run a little lower pressure and get a little better ride and less risk of flats since I got one on my first ride without hitting anything obvious. Live an learn. Worst case I guess I buy a tube and call it a $100 lesson.

Help Support Us

Become a patron