***General Cycling Thread***

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Anyone in here a DSM area mountain biker?

I'll be in town on Saturday AM looking to kill some time and will have my bike with me. I've ridden a little of the Center trails a few years ago, but got chased out by rain. I was thinking about trying those again, but going off of Trailforks, I think the Sycamore trails look decent too. Was curious to which people prefer and why. Doesn't look like it will be cold enough to freeze Friday night.
Its been a few years since Ive road single track here in Des Moines and need to get back out one of these days. Center trails are unique to the area compared to any other trails in the Des moines area. Center is technical in many areas and has climb. If you did center trails, you could hop on the paved or ride single to Denmans. Syc is speed and fun lines with lots of challenges. Riding along the Des Moines River is cool. Denman has more cornering, tight and fast. You can also get to the river from Denmans too and ride along the Racoon River and basically be across the river from Waterworks Park. Watch out for the deer rut right now so you don't become a member to the whitetail club. Denmans has deer everywhere. You can't go wrong with any of them, just pick your poison.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I'll be in town on Saturday AM looking to kill some time and will have my bike with me. I've ridden a little of the Center trails a few years ago, but got chased out by rain. I was thinking about trying those again, but going off of Trailforks, I think the Sycamore trails look decent too. Was curious to which people prefer and why. Doesn't look like it will be cold enough to freeze Friday night.

Throwing a final tailgate for the Surly boys?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Throwing a final tailgate for the Surly boys?
No. Baby shower for a buddy's wife at Americana on Saturday AM. My wife and daughter are going, and I'll need to kill time. We have a 40th bday party in Waterloo later on Saturday, and going to a Blackhawks game, so I'll be watching the first half on my phone at Young Arena.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Its been a few years since Ive road single track here in Des Moines and need to get back out one of these days. Center trails are unique to the area compared to any other trails in the Des moines area. Center is technical in many areas and has climb. If you did center trails, you could hop on the paved or ride single to Denmans. Syc is speed and fun lines with lots of challenges. Riding along the Des Moines River is cool. Denman has more cornering, tight and fast. You can also get to the river from Denmans too and ride along the Racoon River and basically be across the river from Waterworks Park. Watch out for the deer rut right now so you don't become a member to the whitetail club. Denmans has deer everywhere. You can't go wrong with any of them, just pick your poison.
Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on Sycamore? Looks like they would fit into what we have going on a bit better.

Reactions: Yaz

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on Sycamore? Looks like they would fit into what we have going on a bit better.
I'd hit up North Sycamore... fast and flowy, easy to moderate riding. Park in the north lot off of NW 66th AVE. Take 2nd Ave or Merle Hay RD through Johnston, depending on the direction you are coming from. There are actually two sections of Syc, however, North Sycamore is the most popular section so you should see other riders. Take water and carbs as the closest store (Casey's) is approx. 1 mile east of the parking lot on NW 66 Ave. As always, if the trails are wet, don't ride. The attached shows the basics lines but there are lots of single track throughout this area.

Attachments

• North Syc.png
    North Syc.png
    788.6 KB · Views: 10

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd hit up North Sycamore... fast and flowy, easy to moderate riding. Park in the north lot off of NW 66th AVE. Take 2nd Ave or Merle Hay RD through Johnston, depending on the direction you are coming from. There are actually two sections of Syc, however, North Sycamore is the most popular section so you should see other riders. Take water and carbs as the closest store (Casey's) is approx. 1 mile east of the parking lot on NW 66 Ave. As always, if the trails are wet, don't ride. The attached shows the basics lines but there are lots of single track throughout this area.
Thanks! I watched some Iowa MTB vids of Sycamore. Looks fun, but not very challenging. Should get some solid miles in.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

Yep! This site has all the metro trail info and maps.

Between those two it depends what you're looking for.

Sycamore is yes fun but really lacks in anything challenging. It use to be really fast but it's so busy anymore (bikers and hikers) that you really gotta watch out in every corner. There are two newer loops (albeit short) that added a bit more flavor to the trail.

Center/Denmans is more twisty due to it being packed in such a small area. If you want some hill work there is some elevation by the Pool (called Hillside). Hillside and Denmans can both be connected by jumping on that paved trail. Don't be afraid to flag someone down and ask if you get confused on finding a section of trail.

Weather is your friend currently. We really haven't even gotten close to a freeze thaw cycle and the trails are incredibly dry also.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yep! This site has all the metro trail info and maps.

Between those two it depends what you're looking for.

Sycamore is yes fun but really lacks in anything challenging. It use to be really fast but it's so busy anymore (bikers and hikers) that you really gotta watch out in every corner. There are two newer loops (albeit short) that added a bit more flavor to the trail.

Center/Denmans is more twisty due to it being packed in such a small area. If you want some hill work there is some elevation by the Pool (called Hillside). Hillside and Denmans can both be connected by jumping on that paved trail. Don't be afraid to flag someone down and ask if you get confused on finding a section of trail.

Weather is your friend currently. We really haven't even gotten close to a freeze thaw cycle and the trails are incredibly dry also.
I did the Blue trails real close to the pool area last summer. There were definitely some spots that made your legs burn, but it wasn't bad compared to where I usually ride (Decorah) so I'm really just looking to get some miles in before winter while I happen to be in the area. I remember getting very confused trying to get from those to Denman's, even with the Trailforks app up.

Sycamore is really close to where I'm going to be on Saturday AM, and seems like you get more mails with less navigational headaches.

If I have enough time, maybe I'll try both. We're meeting up with some friends in Ankeny on Saturday AM and then my wife and daughter are going downtown with that group and I'm picking them up, so I'll be pretty mobile.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I see now that the Friday night into Saturday low is supposed to hit 30. Will that close the trails since it’s just the first day?
I'm not following? If it's not raining, the trails should be open. They're always open unless they are wet.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I see now that the Friday night into Saturday low is supposed to hit 30. Will that close the trails since it’s just the first day?
I doubt it will close the trails. They are in good shape and only one night of a short stretch around 30 isn’t enough to cause freeze/thaw issues.

Another fun part of Syc this time of year is the river bed. If your tires are fat enough it can be fun riding the sand bars during these drier stretches. I do it with my fat bike when riding Syc and lots of places the water between is only a few inches deep and easily crossable. There are a few soft areas in the sandbars but overall rideable and can be a workout.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I doubt it will close the trails. They are in good shape and only one night of a short stretch around 30 isn’t enough to cause freeze/thaw issues.

Another fun part of Syc this time of year is the river bed. If your tires are fat enough it can be fun riding the sand bars during these drier stretches. I do it with my fat bike when riding Syc and lots of places the water between is only a few inches deep and easily crossable. There are a few soft areas in the sandbars but overall rideable and can be a workout.
Speaking of fatbikes, Global fatbike day will be the first Saturday in Dec. Check local areas for riding events. Had lots of fun doing that over the years.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Freeze/thaw can at times make them a mess until it freezes hard. With how dry it is this year it probably won’t be much of an issue.
Yep, no moisture to cause an issue.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not following? If it's not raining, the trails should be open. They're always open unless they are wet.
Up north it's getting cold enough that the overnight lows can cause freeze/thaw issues. When the ground freezes at night, and thaws during the day, the trails can get muddy and if you ride when they're thawed, you can create permanent ruts. So you either ride before it warms up or not at all. It makes the trails ****** to let those ruts set in.

I took tomorrow off in order to have a big outdoor adventure. I always do this at the end of harvest, and usually mountain bike. Was planning on Decorah or La Crosse. But we've had a few nights go below freezing in the past week, and tonight into tomorrow's supposed to be the same. I'll just hike at Yellow River instead.

Des Moines will only have that one night dip below freezing, so I wasn't sure if that would be enough to get it going.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Speaking of fatbikes, Global fatbike day will be the first Saturday in Dec. Check local areas for riding events. Had lots of fun doing that over the years.
If interested search "Intergalatic Fat Bike" on Facebook for an event by Rob Versteegh. We do our DSM fat bike day a week later on the 9th due to a big cycle cross race. Did it last year and it's a lot of fun.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This is a long shot but does anyone have a mini BMX racing bike they want to get rid of? My middle kid has discovered the BMX track down at Ewing Park.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Just following up, but I hit Sycamore around 11AM on Saturday. I found the trails to be in excellent condition and really had a good time. It definitely wasn't that challenging, but you just make up for that by riding faster. After riding along the river/creeks, I went on some of those blues by that quarry pond and was pleasantly surprised by the challenge on those.

There were lots of people out, and several in Cyclone gear. I kept crossing paths with the same group of guys, one of who had an ISU jersey/shirt so I gave him a "GO CLONES" after the 2nd or 3rd time.

This is a real gem of an urban single track system, IMO. I will definitely bring my bike to Des Moines again.

Reactions: BigBake and Yaz

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Inaugural ride for 2024 here in the northland. DND. Modest 20 miles but every small hill and head wind kicked the butt of this 72-year-old. :confused:
Good for you for getting out! I gave up cycling through covid due to health issues and this year getting back into it. A buddy and I are riding The Katy Trail in May. I'm with you and the fricken wind....I hate it. Yes it makes you stronger, but it is not fun riding in.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron