Gary Barta everybody

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Jesus. So basically nothing happened.

I'd bet at this point there was some verbal abuse which happens to our people when they go to Iowa City. It isn't right, but it has happened for decades.

And I bet the story that someone fell and broke some ribs is correct but that it wasn't really some Iowa State fan that did anything on purpose.

Gary Barta is an embarrassment. I hate losing the football game, but I'm very thankful that we don't have that doofus running our school.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
He'll never do it, but Barta owes Pollard a public apology.

Why Barta, one day after a joint statement which seemed to put an end to this, went on the record about this is completely beyond me. We're moving on, he says. Couldn't verify details. We won't talk about whether it was violent and there are no police reports, but someone needed medical attention thanks to this unknown thing we can't verify and I can't tell you more due to medical privacy laws.

Total foolishness. This is the first time all week I'm actually starting to doubt there was ever an incident to begin with.

isubett

Jan 28, 2015
Here is my theory on this episode. Barta and Pollard talked on Saturday. Pollard told him about his big announcement on Tuesday. They also talk on Monday. Barta was vague to Pollard about the incident. Barta decides he can't have Pollard getting all the good publicity on Tuesday so he issues his vague statement Monday night. It works, the media splits the attention between the 2 stories. He does not expect Pollard to contradict him publicly. When the talk again Pollard explains to him he has just as much dirt on Iowa fans and that is not going do either university any good to continue slinging mud in public.

The timing of the Barta PR stunt was just too good to be a coincidence.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Jesus. So basically nothing happened.

I'd bet at this point there was some verbal abuse which happens to our people when they go to Iowa City. It isn't right, but it has happened for decades.

And I bet the story that someone fell and broke some ribs is correct but that it wasn't really some Iowa State fan that did anything on purpose.

Gary Barta is an embarrassment. I hate losing the football game, but I'm very thankful that we don't have that doofus running our school.

My guess is it was a game of "telephone" where a chain of folks were told fans did/said these things and drum guy broke some ribs. Somehow when it got to Barta he took it as fans broke the guys ribs and ran with it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Given GarBar's track record with lawsuits, we absolutely should sue him.

I really do think that this time we should do something about this.

Barta made an accusation against Iowa State University with a press release, and as it turns out, it was nothing worth pursuing. But the problem is, it tarnished the image of ISU big time as a story was ran by ESPN and it was scrolling across the bottom of millions of TV's across the country.

Now you can't put that toothpaste back in the tube. Is ESPN running a story now about how it ended up being a non issue and that the U of I's AD is just a huge d-bag who has tried to throw ISU under the bus before too? No, I'd guess not. So the damage is done.

I heard someone on the radio this afternoon sum it up perfectly..... Barta thought this "possible" accusation was worth putting out a press release for.... but secretly giving Franny an extension in the middle of the night was not worth putting out a press release for? And that's because he was embarrassed to give Franny a raise.

Last edited:

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

Barta made an accusation against Iowa State University with a press release, and as it turns out, it was nothing worth pursuing. But the problem is, it tarnished the image of ISU big time as a story was ran by ESPN and it was scrolling across the bottom of millions of TV's across the country.

Now you can't put that toothpaste back in the tube. Is ESPN running a story now about how it ended up being a non issue and that the U of I's AD is just a huge d-bag who has tried to throw ISU under the bus before too? No, I'd guess not. So the damage is done.

I heard someone on the radio this afternoon sum it up perfectly..... Barta thought this "possible" accusation was worth putting out a press release for.... but secretly giving Franny an extension in the middle of the night was not worth putting out a press release for. And that's because he was embarrassed to give Franny a raise.
Wow. We agree!

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
I have lived in the land of the Jayhawk almost 30 years and they don’t even come close to this level BS. To think I used to support all teams from the state of Iowa.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Barta is an absolute piece of **** and is a perfect fit for that athletic department.
The University of Iowa is a clown show and Barta a huge piece of ****. Don’t get me wrong, ISU generally benefits from this, but both are embarrassments to the state.

There’s a decent chance Barta caught wind of JPs project and had a case of butthurt

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

I heard someone on the radio this afternoon sum it up perfectly..... Barta thought this "possible" accusation was worth putting out a press release for.... but secretly giving Franny an extension in the middle of the night was not worth putting out a press release for? And that's because he was embarrassed to give Franny a raise.
Remember that at least KCCI and maybe the register ran rumors that band members were sexually assaulted! All because of the vague and misleading press release from Barta.
I don't think it can be legally considered libel or slander but Barta played deep in the gutter. If Pollard did something like this, the media would be asking if he should resign.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron