Future recruiting - discussion

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I certainly don't know Fred Hoibergs biggest regrets but I have to think if he could do it all over again he'd focus his recruiting efforts more on the Monte Morris' and Matt Thomas' of college basketball and not so much the five star Cheick Diallo and especially Rashad Vaughn. Vaughn I truly think was a huge blow to Freddie. He put in so much time, effort and recruiting $ into one player. I think that frustrated him to no end. Don't get me wrong he knocked it out of the park recruiting but I think it could have been even better if he left the big prep fish alone.

Unless we have a connection of some kind with a five star player it'll be hard to lure one to Ames, IA. We're better suited going after those 65-150 ranked players and sing for the fences every once in a blue moon.

Why should he recruit 4 year guys if he couldn't honestly tell them he'd be there 4 years. In my opinion, Fred comes out as the good guy in this. A lot of coaches would lie, but maybe Fred didn't. If he wanted to recruit guys ranked 65-150 who are still very highly recruited, he probably would have had to lie to them to get them.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I like Prohm. I hope he succeeds. But the "roster cliff" coming up worries me.

Fred left a team that was loaded for Year One and, rather unintentionally I think, pretty good for Year Two. A core of Monte Morris (most figured he was gone after last year), Naz Mitrou-Long (ditto), Matt Thomas (previously thought a bust, now a hugely important and versatile asset), and Deonte Burton (recruited under the Fred regime, mercurial as a player, but extremely talented nonetheless) is better than 90%+ of the teams in the country. We thought Monte was gone, Naz would be gone, Matt wasn't much worth having in the Big 12, and Burton was an unknown.

So this is still very much an echo of the Hoiberg era. Looking at our scholarship chart for next year, though, I do have to have some concerns...

PG) Jackson
SG) Long
SF) Babb
PF) Young
C) Carter, Kasongo, Lard

That's it. That's a rough starting lineup for next year.

Jackson has had a ton of hype as a "Mike Taylor" type, but you never quite know what you get with a JUCO at point guard. Babb has had some press conference hype, as well, but wasn't particularly productive as a freshman at Arkansas, even if it sounds like they were sad to see him go. Long, Young, and Lard were all in the ~150 range with upside potential, but they're all going to be young and raw. None were on the level of 50-100 national rankings of Niang, Morris, Thomas, and the key high school players recruited during that era. Carter didn't impress during his freshman year, despite ample playing time available in the post, and Kasongo has a big body but is on his third school in as many years and has never put up intense numbers.

Yes yes, pessimist me, and some of these guys are going to be better than the above, but some of them are going to be worse, too.

I admire the job that the staff did in pulling together a trio of good freshmen, Jackson, Malou, and "instant experience" in the front court with Holden and Bowie for next year. Considering the circumstances and roster needs and the odd transition, they did well. However, considering...

-there's a ton of playing time to sell
-Hilton is awesome
-the conference is awesome
-the fans are awesome
-we're on national TV twice a week for months at at time
-the national media likes the program and speaks highly of it
-we make the NCAA tournament basically every year
-Georges and Abdel went in the draft

...we really should be getting some young talent.

Add in the fact that the "emergency class" from last year was mostly recruited by TJ... as was most of the good prep and high school talent that we have had on our roster for the past decade, with McD and Hoiberg and a distinct absence of such talent during the few years that TJ was in Seattle... well, save for Monte Morris, there haven't been many good ones in cardinal and gold that weren't here because of him. I know he had to leave and move on, but I really hope Prohm and the current staff can keep turning players up on this level without him.

I'm okay with us having a down year, where we are super young but super talented, play fast and have fun, and Jackson scores a ton and is 1st/2nd all-conference even if we don't win many games or even make the NIT if it is clear that the guys we have, either freshman or JUCOs previously unused to Big 12 ball, are going to bring it the next year, even more the case if we have some good transfers coming off a redshirt to join them. I would like things to "feel" like they did during Diante Garrett's senior year that, even if we didn't win much, the program was headed in the right direction and fundamentally solid on the formation of the roster.

Prohm's got that level of rebuild job coming almost, at least in terms of roster though not in terms of program reputation, thankfully. Another something like a Cameron Payne to lead us out of that transition would be real nice there.

I'll wait to see what we have, but it's hard not seeing us struggle right now. I just want the conditions around where I don't think struggling is going to become a new normal. :/

Last edited:

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Easy answer.... we don't need one.

uh....that's not an easy answer because that wasn't the question. The question wasn't whether we 'need' one , but would we get one in the future. Nobody is debating whether we can be plenty successful without 5'stars.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't really think you can say Fred failed his last year. His goal was to win a national title in Ames. He recruited a top ten lineup that had the ability to win it all last year. I think Fred knew it and he was going for the knockout punch in Diallo. The cards simply didnt fall our way. If the Bulls don't come knocking maybe Diallo comes to Ames? Naz doesn't have hip issues? To win a national title you need the stars to align just right and it didn't happen for us.

We should be a top 25 caliber team again this year in large part due to the core Fred recruited (Long, Morris, Thomas, Burton). Not so sure how much else you could ask of the guy two years removed from Ames.

Then yeah, I'd say a first round loss as a 3 seed was a failure if that was his goal.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Obviously our best chance at getting a 5 star is if he is an IA HS player. Otherwise, there will need to be a very close relationship between the 5 star and the coaching staff.

The reality is we don't need 5 star recruits to win Big12 titles and make deep runs in the NCAA tournamen, we just need a good mix of 4 & 3 star players and a great coach. Add a strong work ethic by the players and we will have a strong program.
This.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Why should he recruit 4 year guys if he couldn't honestly tell them he'd be there 4 years. In my opinion, Fred comes out as the good guy in this. A lot of coaches would lie, but maybe Fred didn't. If he wanted to recruit guys ranked 65-150 who are still very highly recruited, he probably would have had to lie to them to get them.

fred may come off the good guy, but in doing that he screwed over Iowa state by neglecting a big part of his job for at least 2 years. Can't believe one statement without acknowledging the other.

Its also pretty commom knowledge that Fred told Georges that he'd be there for all 4 of his years and Matt and Monte that it would take something extraordinary (I.e. Not an offer from a bad NBA team looking to rebuild that would literally have hired you any year) for him to leave. I have no idea when he told those 3 he was looking for NBA jobs (before golden state interview?) and obviously they understood. But I find it funny we can call him the best person ever when he doesn't lie to recruits, but not when he lies to ones he already recruited.

And that's your jsb bashing hoiberg post for the day. (I don't make them unless someone posts stupid things).

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
How many stars was Marcus Fizer?

Royce was a 5 star with Rivals out of HS. I think we could get someone of that caliber as a transfer in the future.

Brackins was a 5 star and would have been even better on a non McDermott team.

I think it's definitely possible. Especially if Prohm proves his worth this year without Niang.

How did ISU snag Brackins?

Fizer came here due to a connection with Tim Floyd.

Royce came here due to his past problems and possible Fred connection from MN.

Breeding success can help, however I think any five-stars who Prohm gets will be due to having a connection.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Fred left a team that was loaded for Year One and, rather unintentionally I think, pretty good for Year Two. A core of Monte Morris (most figured he was gone after last year), Naz Mitrou-Long (ditto), Matt Thomas (previously thought a bust, now a hugely important and versatile asset), and Deonte Burton (recruited under the Fred regime, mercurial as a player, but extremely talented nonetheless) is better than 90%+ of the teams in the country. We thought Monte was gone, Naz would be gone, Matt wasn't much worth having in the Big 12, and Burton was an unknown.

So this is still very much an echo of the Hoiberg era. Looking at our scholarship chart for next year, though, I do have to have some concerns...

PG) Jackson
SG) Long
SF) Babb
PF) Young
C) Carter, Kasongo, Lard

Jackson has had a ton of hype as a "Mike Taylor" type, but you never quite know what you get with a JUCO at point guard. Babb has had some press conference hype, as well, but wasn't particularly productive as a freshman at Arkansas, even if it sounds like they were sad to see him go. Long, Young, and Lard were all in the ~150 range with upside potential, but they're all going to be young and raw. None were on the level of 50-100 national rankings of Niang, Morris, Thomas, and the key high school players recruited during that era. Carter didn't impress during his freshman year, despite ample playing time available in the post, and Kasongo has a big body but is on his third school in as many years and has never put up intense numbers.

Yes yes, pessimist me, and some of these guys are going to be better than the above, but some of them are going to be worse, too.

I admire the job that the staff did in pulling together a trio of good freshmen, Jackson, Malou, and "instant experience" in the front court with Holden and Bowie for next year. Considering the circumstances and roster needs and the odd transition, they did well. However, considering...

-Hilton is awesome
-the fans are awesome

Add in the fact that the "emergency class" from last year was mostly recruited by TJ... as was most of the good prep and high school talent that we have had on our roster for the past decade, with McD and Hoiberg and a distinct absence of such talent during the few years that TJ was in Seattle... well, save for Monte Morris, there haven't been many good ones in cardinal and gold that weren't here because of him. I know he had to leave and move on, but I really hope Prohm and the current staff can keep turning players up on this level without him.

I'm okay with us having a down year, where we are super young but super talented, play fast and have fun, and Jackson scores a ton and is 1st/2nd all-conference even if we don't win many games or even make the NIT if it is clear that the guys we have, either freshman or JUCOs previously unused to Big 12 ball, are going to bring it the next year, even more the case if we have some good transfers coming off a redshirt to join them. I would like things to "feel" like they did during Diante Garrett's senior year that, even if we didn't win much, the program was headed in the right direction and fundamentally solid on the formation of the roster.

Prohm's got that level of rebuild job coming almost, at least in terms of roster though not in terms of program reputation, thankfully. Another something like a Cameron Payne to lead us out of that transition would be real nice there.

I'll wait to see what we have, but it's hard not seeing us struggle right now. I just want the conditions around where I don't think struggling is going to become a new normal. :/

All i do is worry.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Whoa, easy back off the edge.
Patience it is only June, most the top players won't decide until Sept/Oct. The staff is working hard and the recruiting will be fine.

(And Prohm has gotten commitments from true freshman in Lard, Young, Carter and Long)

Lard, Young and Long will be very good. Carter.....im hoping he develops into a very good post player come Junior year as he has the size to be a force.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
How did ISU snag Brackins?

Fizer came here due to a connection with Tim Floyd.

Royce came here due to his past problems and possible Fred connection from MN.

Breeding success can help, however I think any five-stars who Prohm gets will be due to having a connection.

Duh.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

PG) Jackson
SG) Long
SF) Babb
PF) Young
C) Carter, Kasongo, Lard

-Hilton is awesome
-the fans are awesome

A longer, perhaps more eloquent version of what I said. As I said, I am a little concerned, and will get more concerned with the passage of every day without a commit. This recruiting season is huge for ISU....both in numbers and for the future of the program. We cannot afford too much of a down season.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Yeah, I wrote the obvious, however people were talking about building upon success, which helps, but won't get the five stars. It'll take a strong connection and/or a blue blood status and/or great location and/or bagmen. ISU doesn't have the latter three so hopefully Prohm's staff can pull in the strong connections.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Let's start with some 4 stars first.

And we will need some visits before you can expect commits

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think they have a really good shot in this class of landing a couple 4 stars. The best chance of landing a 5 star this year is Sexton. I think if they can get him on campus they will have a decent shot but it's going to be hard especially with Arizona recruiting him because they have connections to USA basketball.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Ever?? We absolutely will, that's not even a question. We've already had 5-star players. Hopefully we snag the next 5-star from Iowa. Seems like we have one every few years.

If Prohm is here for at least five years he'll coach a 5-star.

There's definitely not a 5 star from Iowa every few years

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
We would've had two in the last 3 years

-if we could've offered more money to RV
-if Hoiberg would've commited to staying we would've had Cheick

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The next possible 5 star in Iowa is going to play for the Hawks. Joe Weiskamp, he is 25th on ESPN in his class but in reality I don't think he ends up a 5 star. Haven't heard anything about other possible highly rated guys from Iowa.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just depends on what comes up in our recruiting focus areas. It's also tougher for us being Transfer U because we use a decent amount of resources mining sit ones and 5th years.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Ever?? We absolutely will, that's not even a question. We've already had 5-star players. Hopefully we snag the next 5-star from Iowa. Seems like we have one every few years.

If Prohm is here for at least five years he'll coach a 5-star.

Harrison Barnes is the one and only 5* from Iowa in the last 15+ years.