Future recruiting - discussion

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Just depends on what comes up in our recruiting focus areas. It's also tougher for us being Transfer U because we use a decent amount of resources mining sit ones and 5th years.

There are almost no resources needed for transfer recruiting. Those are usually 2-4 week recruitments with one official visit and 1-2 staff visits. The recruits usually focus in on 2-3 schools and get it over quickly. It's probably the most cost efficient and time efficient recruiting that exists.

How many times have we had a transfer in on an official and didn't land them? I can only think of 2-3 over the last few years. Edwards who ended up at K-State, Olivier who went to Okie State and the forward that selected Florida over us roughly 3 years ago.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The next possible 5 star in Iowa is going to play for the Hawks. Joe Weiskamp, he is 25th on ESPN in his class but in reality I don't think he ends up a 5 star. Haven't heard anything about other possible highly rated guys from Iowa.

He won't be a 5 star

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
If Prohm wins 25 games and pulls another sweet 16 he'll snag a couple of 5 stars - especially if he can send two more to the NBA. Yes I know that's a tall order but we have all the depth and talent to do so. Five star players want one thing and that's to play NBA. We have to become the school that does just that.
This. There's no reason to think that ISU won't be able to land these upper tier players. The 2 '17 5 stars that have committed so far are to Auburn and Western Kentucky. Maybe they need to consider getting creative with an assistant coach hiring to get an "in" with a kid. An assistant coach's job is to land recruits. They do the bulk of the heavy lifting in recruiting elite players, not the head coach.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Personally, I remain a little concerned about recruiting. We talk to, and offer a lot of pretty good players, but no commits. We have a ton of needs and scholarships to fill, and I think we better get a least half of them in the early signing period. Also somewhat concerned about our southern focus...although I understand that is where most of the staff has connections. I fail to see yet who will replace tj's recruiting. So far, small and Robinson seem to be a bust. I like CSP more every day, but, still waiting to see if he can recruit at the necessary level to keep us in the upper half of the b12. I thought this coming year would be the day of reconning, but with naz and monte back, I think will be pretty good. We need Holden to be a force. That aside, I see no way the next year won't determine a lot about the program's future. We need some good commits...and soon IMO.

I agree with this post. I know prohm is only in his 2nd year at isu but have not been impressed with his recruiting so far. If he doesn't land some high level players next year we might be in trouble

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I agree with this post. I know prohm is only in his 2nd year at isu but have not been impressed with his recruiting so far. If he doesn't land some high level players next year we might be in trouble

Yes and no. It will depend on what we have with Young, Long, Jackson, Bab and Lard. If you get a couple of really good players out of that mix, you're only 2-3 jucos/transfers away from being solid enough to contend for a tourney appearance again next year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
How many times have we had a transfer in on an official and didn't land them? I can only think of 2-3 over the last few years. Edwards who ended up at K-State, Olivier who went to Okie State and the forward that selected Florida over us roughly 3 years ago.

Leland King, who went to Nevada
Cole Huff visited, but it may not have been an official visit.
Bielfeldt visited last summer

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL

So I have a marker of what your expectations are when making the above claim on CSP's recruiting ability, how many of the ESPN top 150 players should Iowa State sign per year?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
We need to follow the Iowa model of recruiting and hit the east and west coasts (of Iowa) harder.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
The current staff is not landing 5 stars and that is fine, ISU can obviously win without 5 star talent.

Iowa State can though.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

And we all know it is about impressing cyclones12321. It is in Prohm's contract. Time to put the heat on him!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Wait. We have no idea how Babb, Young, Lard, Long or Jackson are going to look this year or develop, but people are already hitting the panic button on next year? Let's step away from the ledge until we can see how they play....

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Wait. We have no idea how Babb, Young, Lard, Long or Jackson are going to look this year or develop, but people are already hitting the panic button on next year? Let's step away from the ledge until we can see how they play....

Exactly... Let's get a look at these guys on the court and then we can stress next summer rather than roster constructing Prohm's plan 1.5 years from now.
The staff has shown an ability to adjust on the fly. Who would have thought Bowie, Young, and Kasongo would be on this team 3 months ago (plus the increased roles that Young/Babb now appear ready to fill). The roster will likely look much different next July.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This is the guy, imho, that would have likely helped us to move beyond the S16 last season.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Exactly... Let's get a look at these guys on the court and then we can stress next summer rather than roster constructing Prohm's plan 1.5 years from now.
The staff has shown an ability to adjust on the fly. Who would have thought Bowie, Young, and Kasongo would be on this team 3 months ago (plus the increased roles that Young/Babb now appear ready to fill). The roster will likely look much different next July.

For reference, the 2012-2013 roster comes to mind.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Good call. I would have loved Bielfedt last year, but hard to even count that one since we had no clue who the HC was at that point.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
So I have a marker of what your expectations are when making the above claim on CSP's recruiting ability, how many of the ESPN top 150 players should Iowa State sign per year?

I would like a couple considering our success over the last 5 years. If baylor can do it why can't isu? Outside of baylor being in the state of Texas what does baylor have over isu? Recent success? Fan support? No, so don't know why it's too much to expect a couple top 100 recruits a year.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
And we all know it is about impressing cyclones12321. It is in Prohm's contract. Time to put the heat on him!
Hahahaha ok. Well then I should be getting a cut of some of that paycheck. Not sure how I was over reacting or panicking about Prohm's recruiting. Just simply stating I haven't been impressed by his recruiting so far. It's my opinion and its a fan website. Opinions are what makes up fan forums. Can you honestly say you've been impressed so far?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would like a couple considering our success over the last 5 years. If baylor can do it why can't isu? Outside of baylor being in the state of Texas what does baylor have over isu? Recent success? Fan support? No, so don't know why it's too much to expect a couple top 100 recruits a year.

ISU fans tend to overvalue these two factors in recruiting more than anyone else. AAU affiliation, handlers, playing time guarantees and NBA draft prospects all factor in more heavily for recruits imo.

Baylor has 2 Elite Eights and a Sweet 16 in this decade btw.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Hahahaha ok. Well then I should be getting a cut of some of that paycheck. Not sure how I was over reacting or panicking about Prohm's recruiting. Just simply stating I haven't been impressed by his recruiting so far. It's my opinion and its a fan website. Opinions are what makes up fan forums. Can you honestly say you've been impressed so far?

I have an opposite opinion. I've been fairly impressed with Prohm's recruiting on such a short timeframe. He was able to address some immediate needs when he took over despite having almost no recruiting window to do it. Obviously some credit goes to Otz, but it was Prohm who decided to retain him after learning of his value to aid in the transition. This 2016 class may go unheralded, but there are indications that it could really be a huge class overall. The recruiting for 2017 has been the most visible I have ever seen. Some folks are panicking for one reason or another, but while the groundwork has been laid, main part of 2017 recruiting hasn't even started yet. It's very premature to judge recruiting especially with respect to 2017 class. The only thing we know is that the staff has been reaching out and staying in contact with a wide array of players that fit needs. You can't really ask for more at this point.