Future recruiting - discussion

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Realize this is an opinion question, but how many CF posters think we will ever get a 5'star basketball recruit in ISU's future? Seeing the 5'star commit to Western Kentucky ( of course there is a big connection with an assistant there) got me wondering. Unless a strong connection, seems its blue blood territory primarily. 5 straight NCAA berths, Sweet 16's, great fan base and home environment...yet it still remains a tough task. Thoughts? Will we ever get one?

(And, yes, I realize LSU had a 5'star, No. 1 NBA draft pick, and still didn't make the tournament. I'll take our recent success any day over that!)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
How many stars was Marcus Fizer?

Royce was a 5 star with Rivals out of HS. I think we could get someone of that caliber as a transfer in the future.

Brackins was a 5 star and would have been even better on a non McDermott team.

I think it's definitely possible. Especially if Prohm proves his worth this year without Niang.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I think Prohm could pull one in his time here. The groundwork has been laid and now Prohm has put a few players in the draft in consecutive years. Stability might have been the largest hurdle in the past despite fan support. Would still need an incredible amount of luck, hard work, and the right connections, but it is more feasible now than ever.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Realize this is an opinion question, but how many CF posters think we will ever get a 5'star basketball recruit in ISU's future? Seeing the 5'star commit to Western Kentucky ( of course there is a big connection with an assistant there) got me wondering. Unless a strong connection, seems its blue blood territory primarily. 5 straight NCAA berths, Sweet 16's, great fan base and home environment...yet it still remains a tough task. Thoughts? Will we ever get one?

(And, yes, I realize LSU had a 5'star, No. 1 NBA draft pick, and still didn't make the tournament. I'll take our recent success any day over that!)
Ever?? We absolutely will, that's not even a question. We've already had 5-star players. Hopefully we snag the next 5-star from Iowa. Seems like we have one every few years.

If Prohm is here for at least five years he'll coach a 5-star.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ever?? We absolutely will, that's not even a question. We've already had 5-star players. Hopefully we snag the next 5-star from Iowa. Seems like we have one every few years.

If Prohm is here for at least five years he'll coach a 5-star.

If our team was in it's current state, with Hoiberg or Prohm in charge, we might have had a better chance with Harrison Barnes. McDermott was nowhere near stable or successful at that time.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Personally, I remain a little concerned about recruiting. We talk to, and offer a lot of pretty good players, but no commits. We have a ton of needs and scholarships to fill, and I think we better get a least half of them in the early signing period. Also somewhat concerned about our southern focus...although I understand that is where most of the staff has connections. I fail to see yet who will replace tj's recruiting. So far, small and Robinson seem to be a bust. I like CSP more every day, but, still waiting to see if he can recruit at the necessary level to keep us in the upper half of the b12. I thought this coming year would be the day of reconning, but with naz and monte back, I think will be pretty good. We need Holden to be a force. That aside, I see no way the next year won't determine a lot about the program's future. We need some good commits...and soon IMO.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Most 5 stars are around 1-2 years or at least go into college thinking they're 1 & done, so I don't necessarily believe you need 5 stars to take it to the next level.

If we can consistently land approximately 3 top 80-150 players each year and find some decent Jucos and transfers, we'll be just fine.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Personally, I remain a little concerned about recruiting. We talk to, and offer a lot of pretty good players, but no commits. We have a ton of needs and scholarships to fill, and I think we better get a least half of them in the early signing period. Also somewhat concerned about our southern focus...although I understand that is where most of the staff has connections. I fail to see yet who will replace tj's recruiting. So far, small and Robinson seem to be a bust. I like CSP more every day, but, still waiting to see if he can recruit at the necessary level to keep us in the upper half of the b12. I thought this coming year would be the day of reconning, but with naz and monte back, I think will be pretty good. We need Holden to be a force. That aside, I see no way the next year won't determine a lot about the program's future. We need some good commits...and soon IMO.

Whoa, easy back off the edge.
Patience it is only June, most the top players won't decide until Sept/Oct. The staff is working hard and the recruiting will be fine.

(And Prohm has gotten commitments from true freshman in Lard, Young, Carter and Long)

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015

If Prohm wins 25 games and pulls another sweet 16 he'll snag a couple of 5 stars - especially if he can send two more to the NBA. Yes I know that's a tall order but we have all the depth and talent to do so. Five star players want one thing and that's to play NBA. We have to become the school that does just that.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We will know a lot more about their recruiting in the next 90 days. That's when the majority of visits will take place.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Obviously our best chance at getting a 5 star is if he is an IA HS player. Otherwise, there will need to be a very close relationship between the 5 star and the coaching staff.

The reality is we don't need 5 star recruits to win Big12 titles and make deep runs in the NCAA tournamen, we just need a good mix of 4 & 3 star players and a great coach. Add a strong work ethic by the players and we will have a strong program.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I certainly don't know Fred Hoibergs biggest regrets but I have to think if he could do it all over again he'd focus his recruiting efforts more on the Monte Morris' and Matt Thomas' of college basketball and not so much the five star Cheick Diallo and especially Rashad Vaughn. Vaughn I truly think was a huge blow to Freddie. He put in so much time, effort and recruiting $ into one player. I think that frustrated him to no end. Don't get me wrong he knocked it out of the park recruiting but I think it could have been even better if he left the big prep fish alone.

Unless we have a connection of some kind with a five star player it'll be hard to lure one to Ames, IA. We're better suited going after those 65-150 ranked players and sing for the fences every once in a blue moon.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
With every conference game being on the ESPN networks and the Hilton atmosphere, if you can't haul in some major talent, then it's probably time for some self/staff reflection.

isu83

May 5, 2010
I think everyone including myself makes excuses for Fred. He failed his last year because he wasn't staying and recruits knew it. If they didn't the competition told them.

I certainly don't know Fred Hoibergs biggest regrets but I have to think if he could do it all over again he'd focus his recruiting efforts more on the Monte Morris' and Matt Thomas' of college basketball and not so much the five star Cheick Diallo and especially Rashad Vaughn. Vaughn I truly think was a huge blow to Freddie. He put in so much time, effort and recruiting $ into one player. I think that frustrated him to no end. Don't get me wrong he knocked it out of the park recruiting but I think it could have been even better if he left the big prep fish alone.

Unless we have a connection of some kind with a five star player it'll be hard to lure one to Ames, IA. We're better suited going after those 65-150 ranked players and sing for the fences every once in a blue moon.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Recruiting is always such a nice and tidy trip. I'm surprised you're concerned.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I think everyone including myself makes excuses for Fred. He failed his last year because he wasn't staying and recruits knew it. If they didn't the competition told them.

I don't really think you can say Fred failed his last year. His goal was to win a national title in Ames. He recruited a top ten lineup that had the ability to win it all last year. I think Fred knew it and he was going for the knockout punch in Diallo. The cards simply didnt fall our way. If the Bulls don't come knocking maybe Diallo comes to Ames? Naz doesn't have hip issues? To win a national title you need the stars to align just right and it didn't happen for us.

We should be a top 25 caliber team again this year in large part due to the core Fred recruited (Long, Morris, Thomas, Burton). Not so sure how much else you could ask of the guy two years removed from Ames.

Help Support Us

Become a patron