Friday QOTW-What's something that happened to you but sounds like a lie when told?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Re: Friday QOTW-What's something that happened to you but sounds like a lie when told

Decades ago I was on the phone calling a high school buddy and his little sister answered. Before she could get her brother on the line a huge lightening strike hit VERY near our house and startled me enough that I pulled the phone away from my ear. Next thing that happened was “ball lightningâ€￾ about the size of orange came out of the phone receiver and danced crossed the kitchen before quickly fading. It was a basic WTF moment before folks called stuff like this WTF moments.

Me =:shocked:

People who I tell = :skeptical:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Re: Friday QOTW-What's something that happened to you but sounds like a lie when told

I'm kind of a smart *** at work, and my boss is a female.

The heads were looking for a couple people to promote to manager. I'd heard through the grapevine I was one of the people that would be promoted.

So, my boss comes walking in, and gives the head nod to go to her office and goes "Cubs, can I have a sec?"

Not really thinking, I said "I'll give you all the secs you need."

She said "Just a moment." And I didn't see her the rest of the day.

Found out a year later that I wasn't promoted because she thought I was expecting a little something when going to her office.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty

The heads were looking for a couple people to promote to manager. I'd heard through the grapevine I was one of the people that would be promoted.

So, my boss comes walking in, and gives the head nod to go to her office and goes "Cubs, can I have a sec?"

Found out a year later that I wasn't promoted because she thought I was expecting a little something when going to her office.

Similar, but I wasn't up for promotion.

Boss: Got a sec?
Me: I have all kinds of secs....

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

One time on a dare I finished off Jim Walden's beer that he left behind in a restaurant. Easiest $5 I ever made.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

We have a leader in the clubhouse for best story.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Sounds more like you are a dumb-*** at work.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009

I received my first speeding ticket while riding my bicycle.

Apr 29, 2006
Des Moines, Iowa

I delivered pizza to a house party in college. They invited me to stop over after work and so a couple of friends and I went over there. It was late around midnight and people were all over the back yard drinking beer and having fun. This was kind of on the edge of town so State Troopers show up and bust up the party. A lot of people just left slowly but some scattered. Throughout the chaos I was walking through the yard and look down and find TEN one hundred dollar bills neatly folded in half. My short stop certainly ended up being quite worth it. :wideeyed:

caustic217

Apr 25, 2009
The Cyclone State

I once saved a bunch of church kids from a burning bus.

This was years ago, I was in middle school and on a mission trip to Mexico. We had just crossed the border and switched to a crappy Mexican bus to take us the rest of the way. Anyway, we're all watching Sandlot when I happen to touch the floor and notice its warm. Like REALLY warm. So I go up to the front of the bus and tell the leaders and the driver and they decide we are due for a stretch break anyway, so let's check it out.

We stop the bus and start to file out while the driver goes to the luggage compartment and opens the small side door. A HUGE fireball rolls out in front of his face and starts to engulf the side of the bus. Meanwhile, there are still people on the bus and there is a mad scramble as everyone pours off. The fire spread more rapidly than any I'd ever seen and the whole thing was covered in just a minute or two.

We all just stood in the desert and watched the bus burn to the frame, along with everything we had brought with us.

So yeah, I saved a bus full of kids, no biggie.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Background - we do a lot of promotional/marketing stuff for the company we sell our milk to, so we're kind of like one of their "model" farms.
In 2011, President Obama (doing that bus tour thing with the random stops) was near Dubuque with the CEO of the company we sell our milk to. My parents got a call from one of the company execs asking if it would be ok for them to bring the President to visit our farm and do one of the unofficial stops. Obama was staying in Chicago that night, and our farm is about a mile of Hwy 20 east of Dubuque. My parents said yes, they called me - and my husband and I both left work and drove the 100 miles home to be there at 5pm when they were expecting to come through. And yes, we told our bosses that we were leaving work because the President was likely coming to my house.

After an hour of impatiently waiting, watching the highway, and checking tweets....we got a call that their last meeting ran over so they were going straight to Chicago instead, womp womp. So then we had to tell our bosses that nope, didn't happen. No one ever thinks this almost happened, haha.

They did say they wanted to come back the next year on a campaign visit. Also didn't happen, typical politicians and their campaign promises, amirite? :jimlad:

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012

Two things....

1. Year and a half ago I was working on a tower directly across the weigh station west of DM. I was at 330' and stepped out onto a gate. Gates extend 6-10ft off of a tower and are used to mount antennas for US Cell/ Verizon ect. I attached my red lanyard to the tower, stepped out and no sooner did I step out but the steel I was standing on gave out. I fell 6 feet into my lanyard. Bruised and beaten pretty badly I climbed down.

2. Bradgate, Ia this past winter. Working on a 2,000 ft tower for Iowa Public Television. Elevator ride to 1600' theb climb to 2000'. Changed out the beacon at the top. Radioed down to the ground that we were ready for our ride back down. Elevator slipped off the sheave at the top because of ice accumulation. Counter weights eventually caught us. We got off the elevator at 1400' and had to free climb down the rest of the way in an ice storm in the dark completely unprepared clothing wise.

Both are crazy, I am happy to still be alive.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Two things....

1. Year and a half ago I was working on a tower directly across the weigh station west of DM. I was at 330' and stepped out onto a gate. Gates extend 6-10ft off of a tower and are used to mount antennas for US Cell/ Verizon ect. I attached my red lanyard to the tower, stepped out and no sooner did I step out but the steel I was standing on gave out. I fell 6 feet into my lanyard. Bruised and beaten pretty badly I climbed down.

2. Bradgate, Ia this past winter. Working on a 2,000 ft tower for Iowa Public Television. Elevator ride to 1600' theb climb to 2000'. Changed out the beacon at the top. Radioed down to the ground that we were ready for our ride back down. Elevator slipped off the sheave at the top because of ice accumulation. Counter weights eventually caught us. We got off the elevator at 1400' and had to free climb down the rest of the way in an ice storm in the dark completely unprepared clothing wise.

Both are crazy, I am happy to still be alive.

this was not fun to read. I hope you are paid well. There is not enough money in the world for me to do that job.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I got in a fight with RC Slocum at the entrance to Kyle Field. He was pulled away by his entourage before he actually tried to punch me.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

In 2007, me and 3 other guys were road tripping between McIntire and Stacyville, via Meyer. Mostly gravels. I had just turned 22 and the others were 20. As we pull into Stacyville, we get pulled over. We were not speeding. Just miles prior, I made the driver pull over and I had ensured that all lights were working. As the cherries were flashing, we chucked the opens into the trunk. I look at my buddy driving and say "you're getting an OWI and I'm getting Providing to Minors. We're ****ed."

As the cop approaches the car he doesn't bother to say why we were pulled over. He just yells "HAVE YOU BOYS BEEN DRINKING? DON'T LIE TO ME. I CAN SMELL IT." We all stammer. He then asks us if we're 21. I say that I am, but the rest of them had beer when they picked me up in McIntire (this actually isn't a lie). He orders us out of the car. He makes the driver (a 20 year old) blow. .09. He asks me how much I've had to drink. "About a 6 pack", I respond. I blow a .10. The other two guys are **** faced, and don't bother to blow.

He starts reading us the riot act. Keep in mind, he has yet to tell us why he pulled us over. After about 2 minutes of riot act he says "where are you boys headed?" "MCINTIRE" we almost yell in unison. "Then get going and get your *** back there. If I see this car back out on the road, you're all going to jail".

We got our *** on the road and got home (via gravels, naturally). I'm still convinced that the only reason he let us go is because he had no probable cause when he pulled us over, and our charges would have been tossed at a suppression hearing, but you still almost never hear of cops letting people go when they're A) over the legal limit and B) underage.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

Told I wasn't gonna be able to run when I was a toddler (by a doctor).

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

Was pulled over for going 98 in a 55 (There is this law in ohio that says that they can look at you and tell how fast you are going, ******* stupid law.). In the court proceeding, I said I didn't think I could get my truck that high even if I tried (I was driving a 4cyclinder Ford Ranger). The judge agreed and it was dropped.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

Years ago, I worked as the AGM for a company that managed the food and souvenir concessions at the LA Coliseum and Sports Arena.

Almost every month, we would have WWF wrestling at the arena. This event would almost always sell out, and would usually draw a good number of celebrities. What follows is what took place during one of these performances.

Once a WWF event started, the house lights inside were always turned down, and the arena was equipped with curtains that would block the light from the outer concourse filtering into the inside of the arena. The curtains had a split in them, but sometimes it was difficult to see if someone was on the other side, particularly if you were coming in from the outer concourse to the inside.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big guy. Won't put the dimensions here, but let's just say I would make a good offensive lineman.

Near the end of the event, I got a call that I was needed at one of the souvenir stands on the other side of the arena for an emergency. The quickest way to the stand was through the inside, so walking quickly, I opened a curtain and rushed inside. Unfortunately, there was someone coming out from inside, and I promptly knocked the man flat on his *** onto the concrete floor. I started apologizing, and reached down to help the man (who was heavily laden in gold necklaces and bracelets) to his feet.

Believe it or not, the man I had knocked down with no problem at all was the famous Mr. T. I was totally embarrassed, but he was nice about it. The fact that I was wearing a radio on my hip attached to a headset probably helped to calm him a bit since I looked "official". He just kept saying "Damn, man".

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Nice, although you should expand.

For all you Blue Sky Creamery fans out there, I helped name that place. They were working with my dad (restaurant designer), and were going to introduce this new type of ice cream. They wanted to call it Nitro Ice Cream or something. I said that didn't sound good to me (I was 10-12) and I thought people would like it more if it had a more inviting name.

Good food call.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Back in 1989 UB40 came to CYStephens. A girl I knew took me to the show, front row. We had a blast at the show and during the show Astro keeps coming over to our side of the stage and commenting on my t-shirt of an obscure club in Jamaica. Apparently it was a club that very few people outside of Jamaica know about. About 1/3 of the way into their show a guy comes up and invites us to go backstage. Sure, why not? So we go backstage and meet all the guys in the band during breaks and afterward and hang out with them in their lounge-area afterward. They'd invited a group of five girls back as well. After hanging out backstage drinking Red Stripe and Fosters for a while they asked if we wanted to party with them on their bus. Not knowing at all where they were headed, "Sure, why not?" We all ended up getting on the tour bus to Minneapolis with them and got absolutely stoned to the bejeesus belt. The other five girls put on quite a show on the bus. They were great guys and completely respectful to the girl I was with the whole time. We had a BLAST with them! They arranged a private plane to take us back to Ames the next day! Even today I'm still a huge UB40 fan.

"Yeah, those stories about us are mostly lies. Except the one about how we pulled over AC/DC's bus and they flew us down to Jamaica to party with them; that one's true."

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

In middle school a group of 15 or so classmates went on an "educational" trip to Washington DC. We were on some street just taking in the whole DC experience and all of a sudden a huge motorcade comes down the street and George Bush said "Hey AP!" (Our group all had sweatshirts that said AP on them). So yeah that would've been pretty cool to see but I was in the porta potty the whole time