Friday QOTW-What's something that happened to you but sounds like a lie when told?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Re: Friday QOTW-What's something that happened to you but sounds like a lie when told

I was a suspect in a murder investigation for awhile.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Re: Friday QOTW-What's something that happened to you but sounds like a lie when told

I had a roomate that ended up being a Playboy cyber pet of the month. Not sure on the exact title but yeah.

I also had Terry Bradshaw pay me and my buddies 500 dollar bar tab at LAX airport. He saw us in our Charlies. (Marine Corps Uniform) came over to the bar. It was him and Mike Golic. Bradshaw came and ask what we were doing. It was 1:00 in the afternoon. We said we had just got done with School of Infantry training and taking a small leave and going home. He said it was nice to meet us and carried on his way.

When we went to pay for the bill later. Bradshaw had gave the bar tender 500 bucks to cover us. I might explain that we told him the Marines dropped us off at the airport at 10 a.m and our planes not leave until 11:00 at night. So we told him we were going to pound away at the bar until then and watch some football. I have always loved bradshaw for that and will never forget. Never wanted credit. Just gave the bar tender the money and went away. That was in 1994.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

tumblr_m98j9cjFmy1qbaj4uo1_500.gif

Did you kidnap Bu?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Here's my truth:

I was once chased by a psycho with a knife down a dark street. Fastest I've ever run.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

I had 2 Secret Service Agents buy my girlfriend and me a game of pool and 2 beers at the Tip Top. My girlfriend at the time was scheduled to wait on then President Ronald Regan at an event in Des Moines the next morning. They followed her for THREE days and all she did was set a plate of eggs in front of the man. They also followed me home after we left the Tip Top. Glad I went home and studied. :wink:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

A few things...
I have never thrown up from drinking and I drank (and drink) a lot.

When I was a freshman in college we all went down to the Lumberyard. When it was time to go home I was the least drunk one so they told me I had to drive back to Ames. I was pretty drunk at this point. I turn onto Elwood and a cop pulled me over. About halfway to the car he got on his walkie-talkie radio, ran back to his car, and sped off. Last time I ever drove drunk in college.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

A few things...
I have never thrown up from drinking and I drank (and drink) a lot.

When I was a freshman in college we all went down to the Lumberyard. When it was time to go home I was the least drunk one so they told me I had to drive back to Ames. I was pretty drunk at this point. I turn onto Elwood and a cop pulled me over. About halfway to the car he got on his walkie-talkie radio, ran back to his car, and sped off. Last time I ever drove drunk in college.

I was a member of this club until vacation a month ago. Kids, hurricanes DO have alcohol in them, even if it's so sweet you don't taste it. And just because you don't feel buzzed, doesn't mean it isn't coming. They all hit you at once and then your fun night is over :no:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Back in 1989 UB40 came to CYStephens. A girl I knew took me to the show, front row. We had a blast at the show and during the show Astro keeps coming over to our side of the stage and commenting on my t-shirt of an obscure club in Jamaica. Apparently it was a club that very few people outside of Jamaica know about. About 1/3 of the way into their show a guy comes up and invites us to go backstage. Sure, why not? So we go backstage and meet all the guys in the band during breaks and afterward and hang out with them in their lounge-area afterward. They'd invited a group of five girls back as well. After hanging out backstage drinking Red Stripe and Fosters for a while they asked if we wanted to party with them on their bus. Not knowing at all where they were headed, "Sure, why not?" We all ended up getting on the tour bus to Minneapolis with them and got absolutely stoned to the bejeesus belt. The other five girls put on quite a show on the bus. They were great guys and completely respectful to the girl I was with the whole time. We had a BLAST with them! They arranged a private plane to take us back to Ames the next day! Even today I'm still a huge UB40 fan.

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

I once was driving down Duff and stopped at the light at 13th. There was a guy mowing his lawn next to me and he hit a decent sized rock. The rock went in my open passenger window, right between my face and the windshield and out my open driver's side window. The lawn mower guy looked at me and I looked at him. We both kind of chuckled and shrugged shoulders and I drove on.

Similar thing happened to me. Except I just opened a can a soda (I was 8ish). The rock flew at me and hit the can and I tilted back for a swig. The can exploded everywhere and I was confused as all hell. Also, the guy cutting the grass stopped looking at me and just drove off.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

Back in 1989 UB40 came to CYStephens. A girl I knew took me to the show, front row. We had a blast at the show and during the show Astro keeps coming over to our side of the stage and commenting on my t-shirt of an obscure club in Jamaica. Apparently it was a club that very few people outside of Jamaica know about. About 1/3 of the way into their show a guy comes up and invites us to go backstage. Sure, why not? So we go backstage and meet all the guys in the band during breaks and afterward and hang out with them in their lounge-area afterward. They'd invited a group of five girls back as well. After hanging out backstage drinking Red Strip and Fosters for a while they asked if we wanted to party with them on their bus. Not knowing at all where they were headed, "Sure, why not?" We all ended up getting on the tour bus to Minneapolis with them and got absolutely stoned to the bejeesus belt. The other five girls put on quite a show on the bus. They were great guys and completely respectful to the girl I was with the whole time. We had a BLAST with them! They arranged a private plane to take us back to Ames the day! Even today I'm still a huge UB40 fan.

That's awesome.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL

I was a member of this club until vacation a month ago. Kids, hurricanes DO have alcohol in them, even if it's so sweet you don't taste it. And just because you don't feel buzzed, doesn't mean it isn't coming. They all hit you at once and then your fun night is over :no:

I throw up almost every time I drink hard. It's when you throw up for 12 hours that sucks.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Similar:

I was a senior in high school. Me & some buddies consumed a little Everclear then went to a club in Omaha. I was the most sober at closing time, so I got to drive my buddy's car back to Council Bluffs. (His car was a stick, this was my 2nd time ever driving one)

I didn't think I was drunk at all, but sure enough got pulled over by an un-marked literally right next to Rosenblatt on I-80. The cop did 3 things most people don't believe:
1) Started with, "Iowa, huh? Almost made it..."
2) Looked at my passenger & I then said, "I'm not sure which of you is more drunk.." - I took major offense to this one cause I was CLEARLY more sober. The guy I was with could barely keep his eyes open.
3) Ended by asking, "Do you think you can get it over the bridge & home safe without hitting anything?" Then sent me on my way...

I was scared **** less that I was going to kill it pulling away, but all went smooth & I had quite the story at school the next day.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I throw up almost every time I drink hard. It's when you throw up for 12 hours that sucks.

nasty! It definitely wasn't a 12 hour ordeal! But that is probably going to be the first and last time I have a hurricane(s)!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I met this girl who not only was willing to have secks with me, she was willing to marry me and have kids with me.

I know, hard to believe, but I swear it's true.

:jimlad:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I had a roomate that ended up being a Playboy cyber pet of the month. Not sure on the exact title but yeah.

I also had Terry Bradshaw pay me and my buddies 500 dollar bar tab at LAX airport. He saw us in our Charlies. (Marine Corps Uniform) came over to the bar. It was him and Mike Golic. Bradshaw came and ask what we were doing. It was 1:00 in the afternoon. We said we had just got done with School of Infantry training and taking a small leave and going home. He said it was nice to meet us and carried on his way.

When we went to pay for the bill later. Bradshaw had gave the bar tender 500 bucks to cover us. I might explain that we told him the Marines dropped us off at the airport at 10 a.m and our planes not leave until 11:00 at night. So we told him we were going to pound away at the bar until then and watch some football. I have always loved bradshaw for that and will never forget. Never wanted credit. Just gave the bar tender the money and went away. That was in 1994.

Story 2 is awesome. Story 1 sounds like a lie :eek:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

Back in 1989 UB40 came to CYStephens. A girl I knew took me to the show, front row. We had a blast at the show and during the show Astro keeps coming over to our side of the stage and commenting on my t-shirt of an obscure club in Jamaica. Apparently it was a club that very few people outside of Jamaica know about. About 1/3 of the way into their show a guy comes up and invites us to go backstage. Sure, why not? So we go backstage and meet all the guys in the band during breaks and afterward and hang out with them in their lounge-area afterward. They'd invited a group of five girls back as well. After hanging out backstage drinking Red Stripe and Fosters for a while they asked if we wanted to party with them on their bus. Not knowing at all where they were headed, "Sure, why not?" We all ended up getting on the tour bus to Minneapolis with them and got absolutely stoned to the bejeesus belt. The other five girls put on quite a show on the bus. They were great guys and completely respectful to the girl I was with the whole time. We had a BLAST with them! They arranged a private plane to take us back to Ames the next day! Even today I'm still a huge UB40 fan.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner !!!!!!!

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

I might have told this story before...

In the late 80's/early 90's, one of the top 40 stations in Chicago would call a random area phone number once an hour (like 8a - 6p) and if someone answered, the DJ would ask "What's your favorite radio station?" Give the station call letters, you win $1,000.

So one summer afternoon when I was 12, I'm in my room, just reading a book. The phone rings, and I run downstairs, just curious to see who it is. I hear my mom repeat "What's my favorite radio station?", and I come jumping into the kitchen "Say Z95! Say Z95!" We won $1,000, and I got a fairly cool electronic keyboard out of it.

I guess the other story is that my husband fell over the left-field wall at Rosenblatt during the CWS in '99 between innings...stone cold sober.

Help Support Us

Become a patron