"Friday" QOTW 7/3 - What era do you wish you grew up in?

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
I wish I attended High School in the mid 50s. I think it would just have been so much better. I could go necking with my girlfriend. Go to the Soda Fountain, Sop Hop, high school football games.

Plus the "Silent Generation" didn't have to fight in any major wars and just seemed to be in the right place at the right time...

I had a similar answer (http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175421&page=2&p=3578407&highlight=#post3578407) for Angie's Friday OT "If you could be 20 years old in any decade in the past 100 years, which would would it be and why?"

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Born in '59, and I had a great childhood. We lived in a neighborhood that had a bunch of kids, and big lots in between houses. Our neighborhood was surrounded by corn fields, pastures and woods. My parents would see me at breakfast and not again until supper. The only thing I was unhappy about was that Bigwheels came out after I was too big for them.
th

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
ignoring the whole fact that it would be not fun to be a woman during these times, but I have always wanted to experience the Regency period in England, Scotland when they still had clan stuff, the antebellum South (provided I could be a rich white person), pioneer times (especially to see my own ancestors begin their farm) and the Plains/Western US post-Civil War.

This pretty much goes without saying, doesn't it?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
pioneer times (especially to see my own ancestors begin their farm) and the Plains/Western US post-Civil War.

I think we've discussed this before, but this is my answer. I'm fascinated by that time period. I think it's partly because my family's farm was started then and partly a childhood spent reading Louis L'amour.

People were so tough, I don't think my lazy *** would last a day.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think we've discussed this before, but this is my answer. I'm fascinated by that time period. I think it's partly because my family's farm was started then and partly a childhood spent reading Louis L'amour.

People were so tough, I don't think my lazy *** would last a day.

my great-great-great grandmother's first husband died in a log rolling accident just down the road from our farm. She had a very young son at the time and a farm to run. So she married the hired hand. Then he was killed in a log rolling accident at the same place. At that point she had four kids and a farm to run. I can't imagine how she survived that. And their part of the world had roads and **** when they got there. Putting up a little cabin out in nowhere Nebraska? You are equal parts brave, adventurous, and crazy.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Graduated HS in 74. I think about 2 years sooner would have been cooler. Seems like after about 1972 music started to become less interesting, more corporate/stadium rock and less fun new cool stuff. So just about a 2 year older shift would do it for me.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I like now with the internet so I can read Cyclone Fanatic.

:pcool:

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
<<<<<<<<

Would loved to have had a tall horse, saddle, bedroll, Colt SA, Winchester(1873) and a ranch somewhere in the high lonesome.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
I am a Millennial, born between 1991-1996 (Near the end).

I wish I was born in the "Silent Generation" or between 1925 and 1942 to be exact (more specifically late 30s).

I wish I attended High School in the mid 50s. I think it would just have been so much better. I could go necking with my girlfriend. Go to the Soda Fountain, Sop Hop, high school football games.

I would've seen the rise of great technology but would have been to old to really care about them. Sometimes I feel like Millennials get too caught up in the "I NEED INFORMATION NOW" type of thing with their cellphones and facebook and twitter. It was just much simpler times back then.

Plus the "Silent Generation" didn't have to fight in any major wars and just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. They didn't have to worry about any real major health issues except for cancer but they were/are so old that it just wouldn't matter to me.

My Grandpa was born in 1925 and went to WWII in 1943, so not exactly the right place at the right time.

Aside from that, I think being my parents age would be have been fun. Going to high school in the late 60's, early 70's. Sounds like the 70's was a fun time to in your 20's.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
They would see them but they wouldn't be a part of them. Big difference.

My father was born in 24 and he and his older brother were both in WWII. His younger brother (8 years younger) served in Korea. Plenty of young men born in the late 20s saw action in WWII. They were the "replacements".

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
My Grandpa was born in 1925 and went to WWII in 1943, so not exactly the right place at the right time.

Aside from that, I think being my parents age would be have been fun. Going to high school in the late 60's, early 70's. Sounds like the 70's was a fun time to in your 20's.

It was. :).

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
It has been said by others but I'm pretty happy with the era I have lived through. I've had ups & downs, but all in all it has been fun. Playing outdoors, unsupervised, after dark...and no one worried about it. Rode our bikes everywhere. We only had 3 channels on TV, the phones were stationary and rotary dial, no nintendo, no computers, and yet we managed to survive. :) We spent a lot more time outdoors, using our imaginations, and less time "plugged in". Aaaaaand...great music, much of which has stood the test of time.

However, I would love to be able to "visit" and experience different eras, primarily starting a hundred or more years back. I hate to say it, but if I was interacting with the era, I don't really think I would want to be a woman. I value my independence too much...and that was a trait highly frowned upon throughout most of history. :)

Help Support Us

Become a patron