"Friday" QOTW 7/3 - What era do you wish you grew up in?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Some people think this is a stupid question but whatever. Which era/year were you born in and which do you wish you lived in?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I was born in 1985, and am just fine with the era I grew up in. I suppose being a young adult in the 70's would have been more fun in some aspects.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am a Millennial, born between 1991-1996 (Near the end).

I wish I was born in the "Silent Generation" or between 1925 and 1942 to be exact (more specifically late 30s).

I wish I attended High School in the mid 50s. I think it would just have been so much better. I could go necking with my girlfriend. Go to the Soda Fountain, Sop Hop, high school football games.

I would've seen the rise of great technology but would have been to old to really care about them. Sometimes I feel like Millennials get too caught up in the "I NEED INFORMATION NOW" type of thing with their cellphones and facebook and twitter. It was just much simpler times back then.

Plus the "Silent Generation" didn't have to fight in any major wars and just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. They didn't have to worry about any real major health issues except for cancer but they were/are so old that it just wouldn't matter to me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am a Millennial, born between 1991-1996 (Near the end).

I wish I was born in the "Silent Generation" or between 1925 and 1942 to be exact (more specifically late 30s).

I wish I attended High School in the mid 50s. I think it would just have been so much better. I could go necking with my girlfriend. Go to the Soda Fountain, Sop Hop, high school football games.

I would've seen the rise of great technology but would have been to old to really care about them. Sometimes I feel like Millennials get too caught up in the "I NEED INFORMATION NOW" type of thing with their cellphones and facebook and twitter. It was just much simpler times back then.

Plus the "Silent Generation" didn't have to fight in any major wars and just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. They didn't have to worry about any real major health issues except for cancer but they were/are so old that it just wouldn't matter to me.

There's a good chance that they did, as they could catch WWII, Korea or Vietnam.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Some time in the future, where we have cool stuff.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
They would see them but they wouldn't be a part of them. Big difference.

I suppose if you narrow down the era to the middle. Anyone born in 1925-26 could have gotten in on WWII late, and possibly Korea for them, or people born up until 1930-33. 1940-42 could have gotten in on Vietnam easily. Anyway... not worth a debate, just pointing that out. It's actually fairly difficult to be born into a generation that doesn't go to war.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The '40s because I'd have been working in my 30s on the 50s and I'm a big fan of sexually harassing the women at work and drinking scotch while on the job all day.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I may be going back further than intended but the early 19th century would have been great. The unknown of everything western North America was pretty neat. Being part of Lewis and Clark's adventure west. With nearly every inch of the world now mapped out there isn't the opportunity for that kind of discovery. It's hard to imagine having literally no idea of what's around the next corner. Undiscovered animals, plants, people. Who knows though. I'd probably hate it by day two. I get poison ivy from a camping weekend now and don't want to go outdoors for a week.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I may be going back further than intended but the early 19th century would have been great. The unknown of everything western North America was pretty neat. Being part of Lewis and Clark's adventure west. With nearly every inch of the world now mapped out there isn't the opportunity for that kind of discovery. It's hard to imagine having literally no idea of what's around the next corner. Undiscovered animals, plants, people. Who knows though. I'd probably hate it by day two. I get poison ivy from a camping weekend now and don't want to go outdoors for a week.

That would be very cool, but it would probably end like this:

hSy6FEnYpznRz3nlj97D7qXRkgBLX4jiV1_KvGPU1KXxbsIpQ-QIMLVvtDRNTZYq0xOw=h310

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Born in '76. With the things we know and technology we have, I don't think I'd want to be born any further back, but not knowing what the future holds, I'd hate to say any later. So, kind of a boring answer, I guess, but I really did think about it.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
ignoring the whole fact that it would be not fun to be a woman during these times, but I have always wanted to experience the Regency period in England, Scotland when they still had clan stuff, the antebellum South (provided I could be a rich white person), pioneer times (especially to see my own ancestors begin their farm) and the Plains/Western US post-Civil War.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
I think it would be fun to go back to the early 1800's and be able to explore the undeveloped continent of North America. I also like to shower every day so I'll probably just stick with this era.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I think it would be fun to go back to the early 1800's and be able to explore the undeveloped continent of North America. I also like to shower every day so I'll probably just stick with this era.

Yeah, indoor plumbing and central AC severely narrows when and where I'd want to live. I also was born on '76, so I'm pretty happy with it.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
ignoring the whole fact that it would be not fun to be a woman during these times, but I have always wanted to experience the Regency period in England, Scotland when they still had clan stuff, the antebellum South (provided I could be a rich white person), pioneer times (especially to see my own ancestors begin their farm) and the Plains/Western US post-Civil War.

I would like to see Regency in action and their clothes, except there were sooo many rules for women. Not to mention the pressure to get married, and really it seems like the first wife was for kids (or better association/title) and hopefully wouldn't die, then marry the second wife.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I would like to see Regency in action and their clothes, except there were sooo many rules for women. Not to mention the pressure to get married, and really it seems like the first wife was for kids (or better association/title) and hopefully wouldn't die, then marry the second wife.

yeah I should probably change my post to "would like to stop and visit for a while but be able to hit the eject button at any time".