Friday OT #2 - Fancy Pants

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I always find it interesting when I go to a gala, a funeral, or a wedding, and see how widely disparate people's clothing ranges. You see a really broad range of interpretation of "formal."

Describe your favorite dress-up outfit/look/whatever. Are you a tux or dress person? Sportcoat and jeans? Button up and khakis? Polo and jeans? Van Halen t-shirt?

55dB

Dec 21, 2014
Omaha
I will wear a dress to the appropriate level of fancy needed. I haven't been to a gala in years, so I don't have super formal dresses.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
i

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Doggone it Angie! I had high hopes for this thread. I was looking to see a display of little pieces of lace that you gals call panties. And yes, I suppose some of the guys wear them also. I choose not to name names however.

Reactions: Angie

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I agree with this guy.
That looks really sharp, but I've never worn it. I wear a button down and jeans normally so when I have to dress up I like to go with a suit and tie. I actually really don't like business casual. I don't like how it feels and I don't feel comfortable wearing it.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
That looks really sharp, but I've never worn it. I wear a button down and jeans normally so when I have to dress up I like to go with a suit and tie. I actually really don't like business casual. I don't like how it feels and I don't feel comfortable wearing it.

I agree Woo. I'm either casual or formal. Business casual is just weird.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I hate dressing up so I try to as little as possible. When it comes to weddings and stuff it really depends on the people getting married. For fancier couples I'll do a tie, but I never really do a jacket. If it's my dad's side of the family they just wear blue jeans and cowboy boots so you can really wear whatever so you don't stand out.

Hell I wasn't even wearing shoes at my own wedding. (destination)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I always feel like a dress and heels are appropriate for weddings and funerals, but at the weddings, take the heels off to dance and at the funerals, they just dig into the ground at the cemetery. Plus I don't feel like torturing my feet any more. So now I just forget it and wear comfortable shoes.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I usually wear a sport coat with an oxford underneath. If a tie is necessary I'll wear a two-piece suit. I prefer to wear a shirt that's not white.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I always feel like a dress and heels are appropriate for weddings and funerals, but at the weddings, take the heels off to dance and at the funerals, they just dig into the ground at the cemetery. Plus I don't feel like torturing my feet any more. So now I just forget it and wear comfortable shoes.

I'm short. Like, super-short. 5'2" in shoes short. So, by all rights, I should wear heels constantly. Except the thing is that I walk like an idiot in them, I just can't make it look right. So, I usually just wear really short heels, wedges, or similar. I've just embraced my shortness.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My wife has an uncle that needed a heart transplant and spent a lot of time at the Mayo Clinic. Evidently, members of the local Mennonite churches spend a lot of time their visiting the patients. He got to know one of the Mennonite girls really well and was invited to her wedding in Kansas. She didn't think he'd actually show up. He did show up. Everybody single person other than the uncle was dressed in black. He wore a Tommy Bahama shirt.