Friday OT #1 - On An Island In the Sun

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @Farnsworth for this one! I think this may have been our first ever Friday off topic theme 11 years or so ago, because it is a question our friends group discussed often.

If you had to pick one artist or group’s catalog to listen to for the rest of your life (desert island style), who would it be?

I know the next question is going to be asking if it can include the solo Works of all members of the group. Like, if you choose the Beatles, can you also incorporate the individual solo albums of each of them.

No. But. You can pick, say, George Harrison, and that would include his solo stuff AND anything he played in with the Beatles or Traveling Wilburys, etc.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Radiohead. Nice sized catalogue. Lots of variability. I could listen to 'OK Computer' and 'The Bends' if I'm in the mood for their best stuff, 'Kid A' if I'm feeling weird or stumbled onto some peyote, 'Pablo Honey' for more straightforward/commercial stuff that's just easy and fun listening.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Radiohead. Nice sized catalogue. Lots of variability. I could listen to 'OK Computer' and 'The Bends' if I'm in the mood for their best stuff, 'Kid A' if I'm feeling weird or stumbled onto some peyote, 'Pablo Honey' for more straightforward/commercial stuff that's just easy and fun listening.
Same.
They released this website a few years ago, and it was fun going through some of the old weird stuff they used to post on their website, plus access to some of the neat concerts that I've only found through weird internet channels.

Reactions: Angie and Gonzo

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Jeff Tweedy. Primarily for his Wilco work which varies a good bit., but he has a lot of projects (Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, Racoonists...).

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and Gonzo

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thanks to @Farnsworth for this one! I think this may have been our first ever Friday off topic theme 11 years or so ago, because it is a question our friends group discussed often.

If you had to pick one artist or group’s catalog to listen to for the rest of your life (desert island style), who would it be?

I know the next question is going to be asking if it can include the solo Works of all members of the group. Like, if you choose the Beatles, can you also incorporate the individual solo albums of each of them.

No. But. You can pick, say, George Harrison, and that would include his solo stuff AND anything he played in with the Beatles or Traveling Wilburys, etc.
Is this just me on the island or are there other people?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Jeff Tweedy. Primarily for his Wilco work which varies a good bit., but he has a lot of projects (Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, Racoonists...).
Caught Wilco last year at Waterworks amphitheatre along with TbT, beautiful night and a great show. Also saw Wilco a few years ago at The Mission in Denver. Love Tweedy.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm a Wilco fan, but being deserted on an island would be depressing enough as it is, I don't need Wilco bringing me down any further.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
If it had to be in English, Steely Dan.

In French, goin' with Gims. The guy has five million songs and counting.

Dude knows from islands, too.

Reactions: VeloClone