Friday 5: Dis-Taste of summer

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Rank your least-favorite “summer food,” stuff commonly associated with the season, such as for picnics, cookouts, fairs. It can involve dishes you avoid, indifference and/or things you consider overrated.

Any category goes (main dish, fruit, vegetables, grilled food, beverages, salad, dessert and so on). Put your least-palatable choice at #1, and so on. Or, if you feel creative, do a countdown 5-to-1. Elaborate on your choices as you wish.

I’m working on my list and will post fairly soon. Go!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My 5
1. Watermelon
2. Lemonade
3. S’mores -- I like the combination, but the sticky-hands factor mixes poorly with campfires and, ya know, DIRT.
4. Popsicles. (Disinterest factor my entire life)
5. Any gelatin-salad with vegetables in it. I like Jell-O with bananas. Mixed seasonal fruit, cool. I love carrots. I prefer it all separately.

• Friendly
  • Dislike
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and Angie

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
My 5
1. Watermelon
2. Lemonade
3. S’mores -- I like the combination, but the sticky-hands factor mixes poorly with campfires and, ya know, DIRT.
4. Popsicles. (Disinterest factor my entire life)
5. Any gelatin-salad with vegetables in it. I like Jell-O with bananas. Mixed seasonal fruit, cool. I love carrots. I prefer it all separately.

Get. The ****. Out.

You’re a god damned monster.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Went over lists of summer foods and not really any that stand out that I don't like. A best of summer foods would be an easier task.

Reactions: cyclones500

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hmm, interesting. I'll try:

1. Potato salad. Mayonnaise in the hot sun, what's not to love?
2. Watermelon. I threw up after eating too much as a kid one time, can't eat it since.
3. Crab. I'm sorry, I just don't like it, it's an ocean spider.
4. Sun tea. I don't really dig any tea, but sun tea is up there near the top.
5. Frick, I still have one to go? Um... corn mac and cheese. I like corn. I like mac and cheese. I don't want weird little boogers floating in my mac and cheese, and I don't want big noodles I have to pick around in my corn.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Went over lists of summer foods and not really any that stand out that I don't like. A best of summer foods would be an easier task.

I expected it to be easier to find enough for a bottom-5, apparently I don't have as many aversions as I thought. :) Plus, there's plenty of summer food I like and generally I can simply ignore the rest.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Frick, I still have one to go? Um... corn mac and cheese. I like corn. I like mac and cheese. I don't want weird little boogers floating in my mac and cheese, and I don't want big noodles I have to pick around in my corn.

Somewhat related, I have mac & cheese on my "also considered" list.Maybe this isn’t a summer staple, but I encounter it frequently at dish-to-pass things … seems like a fall/winter food to me. So it's more a matter of being a "Seasonalist." :)

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
1. Potato salad. It's just icky.
2. That weird ass salad with the ramen noodles in it. Yuck.
3. Sloppy Joes
4. Cotton candy. Is that even a summer food? Whatever, I'll count it. It's also blech.
5. Other gross salads that are weird like three bean salad.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Somewhat related, I have mac & cheese on my "also considered" list.Maybe this isn’t a summer staple, but I encounter it frequently at dish-to-pass things … seems like a fall/winter food to me. So it's more a matter of being a "Seasonalist." :)

I am guilty of associating foods with only certain seasons, too - and I'd agree, mac-and-cheese is cold-weather food. The only soup I even remotely enjoy in summer is corn chowder, but I still prefer it in cold weather.

3. Sloppy Joes
4. Cotton candy. Is that even a summer food? Whatever, I'll count it. It's also blech.

I think most summer salads are sort of awful. Now, Janny makes a bruschetta salad that is amazing, and I don't actually love tomatoes - that is one of my huge exceptions. But most summer salads have mayo, and that should just never be sitting out in the sun.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
1. Potato Salad. Slimy potoatoes yuck.
2. Coleslaw. More mayo..
3. Beans.
4. Melon. Dont hate it but need 5.
5. I can’t think of 5

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
3. Sloppy Joes

I considered cotton candy for my 5, in the fair-food vein (I might do a fair-food 5 later this summer, good/bad). Sloppy joes falls into my "OK for fall/winter, not mid-July" category.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not surprised potato salad is making its presence on the lists so far, considering how much of a staple it is, bound to be overrated. I like it, but it also isn't an essential.

For summer salad, I'm a big fan of pasta salad and tomato/cucumber-type salad in Italian dressing.

Re: pasta salad, Just don't put a bunch of superfluous junk in it — like any kind of meat.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
You guys realize that "summer salads" or salads with mayo don't have to be sitting out in the sun right? Anyways, I can't really think of any summer food that I would be against. Smores are indeed messy, but quite tasty and if I was forced to choose cotton candy isn't the greatest.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
1. Potato Salad - who wants cold, hard potatoes?
2. Baked Beans - don't like the texture of most beans
3. Mayo-based Coleslaw - the vinegar-based one with ramen noodles is delicious though
4. Hamburgers - not that I hate them but they are my least favorite summer meat option
5. Watermelon - I like it but have a weird allergy related to hay fever that makes me slightly allergic to some uncooked fruits and veggies. It varies based on what pollens are active so I never really know how badly I'll react and watermelon has been one of the worst offenders in the past so I usually just avoid it.

Reactions: cyclones500

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You guys realize that "summer salads" or salads with mayo don't have to be sitting out in the sun right? Anyways, I can't really think of any summer food that I would be against. Smores are indeed messy, but quite tasty and if I was forced to choose cotton candy isn't the greatest.

They don't have to, no - but usually whoever brings them to a picnic just forgets about them and leaves them out.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Three bean salad - I like most beans but not lima beans, and not beans in some vinegary juice.
Cotton candy - Why don't I just open the sugar bowl and eat a few spoons full? Would be less messy and just as good for me.
Iced tea - Love tea and coffee but hot like God intended it.

I'm not a hater so I only have three.