Friday 5: Dis-Taste of summer

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I like all summer foods (and winter foods really) which is probably why I'm so over weight
vauEUgn.gif

I'll throw the summer beers in the mix though. Watermelon IPA? Lemon-basil hef?? Shandy???

Yuck

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
1, Macaroni salad
2. Grilled chicken. Seems like it never tastes good as fried or baked. Seems just slimy and greasy with skin that's also gross and chewy.
3. Iced Tea. I don't like tea anyway, so an easy pick
4. Brats. They're ok, but sometimes I just don't want that.
5. 5 layer salad, or whatever that stuff is with the lettuce layered with the mayo and bacon. Just bring the bacon next time, okay?

PS: Good potato salad is the bomb. Unfortunately about 85% of what you run across is average to poor.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
1. Watermelon (Really? Watery mush with seeds? Are ya kiddin' me?)
2. Iced tea (My first wife's family drank this **** by the gallon. Every once in a great while I'll have some sun tea if I'm really thirsty, but otherwise give me anything else.)
3. Whoever brought up vegetables in Jell-O gets an A+. Now fruit in Jell-O, OK, within limits, but carrots and celery? Too much like school lunch.
4. Cotton candy (Haven't liked it since I was about 5)
5. Grilled pork chops (I love pork, just not on the grill please)

I like potato salad, but I'm picky about it. Fareway's is the best - it has some zing to it, gotta have some mustard and horseradish in it. And if the potatoes aren't fully cooked, uh, nope.

Reactions: cyclones500

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
On a side note (and this is especially for you, @MeanDean), has everybody tried the Tiefenthlaer brats at Hy-Vee? Those things are the bomb. Meaty, skinless, several varieties. I'd give them a shot, if you haven't already.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
1. Watermelon - Too big of a mess. I always end up with a fly infestation problem after since we usually have it when kids are running in and out of the house.

2. BLT's - Apparently I need my tomatoes processed. I don't like this about myself.

3. Cantaloupe or muskmelons - I'm not sure which is which but see watermelon note above.

4. Broccoli sunshine salad - If I'm actually eating broccoli, it'd better be considered healthy.

5. 3 bean salad - not much to say here.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The three-bean salad mentions made me nostalgic for some. My mother used to make it in a previous lifetime. :oops: I would totally eat some now with a grilled burger or something. Guessing it been a good 15 years since I had that.

Damn CF can give me nostalgia feeling attacks. Kinda hate that. Not manly!

Reactions: Cyientist

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A lot of iced-tea haters here. Or is it Ice Tea? Ice-T?

It's probably overrated, and I don't consume it as often as I did for a few years. Maybe it's the idea of sun-tea that holds the appeal. I still say, if you're working or playing hard in swelter, ice-cold tea is magnificent. Just don't put sugar in it. If I want pop, I can drink pop.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Somewhat related, I have mac & cheese on my "also considered" list.Maybe this isn’t a summer staple, but I encounter it frequently at dish-to-pass things … seems like a fall/winter food to me. So it's more a matter of being a "Seasonalist." :)
We had to feed a "Bike & Build" group of college-aged bicyclists at our church one summer. They were halfway through their fundraising ride across the US. We had a bunch of brats & burgers and side dishes & desserts coming, and just to add some filler to the meal, I made up five boxes worth of Kraft mac & cheese. That was the first thing gone, and we actually ended up making some more for them (there were about 25 kids). Gotta love those bikers & their pasta!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I
A lot of iced-tea haters here. Or is it Ice Tea? Ice-T?

It's probably overrated, and I don't consume it as often as I did for a few years. Maybe it's the idea of sun-tea that holds the appeal. I still say, if you're working or playing hard in swelter, ice-cold tea is magnificent. Just don't put sugar in it. If I want pop, I can drink pop.
I dislike tea, hot or iced. I like sun tea even less. And don't even get me started on those southern favorites, sweet tea and iced coffee. YUCK!!!

• Winner
Reactions: MeanDean and Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm surprised how many watermelon and cotton candy haters there are.

I honestly don't think I've ever know anyone who didn't like both.

The debate is salt on watermelon or not. I say "NO to SALT on fruits!"

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Another vote for potato salad. That **** is nasty. Also agree with watermelon but you guys lost me by hating on tea. Sweet tea is awesome (brewed southern style that is, just stirring sugar into cold regular tea doesn't count).