Five NBA Prospects Whose Stock Could Rise During the 2019 NCAA Tournament

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I hadn't seen this posted yet from SI. A little piece on Haliburton as THE SUPER SLEEPER prospect:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/04/nba-draft-coby-white-ochai-agbaji-prospects-march-madness

The Super Sleeper: Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State
Although Haliburton is another player who seems like a better bet for the 2020 draft, the unheralded freshman has become a serious person of interest for NBA teams. The possibility of a productive March remains on the table, and as we’ve written dating back to January, Haliburton should at least be in good position to test the draft and get feedback. His case is certainly a strange one, as his scoring contributions and overall shot diversity have been minimal, but his brilliant feel for basketball is extremely evident and is something that has to be experienced over the course of a full game to properly comprehend. It will be hard for Haliburton to be a first-round pick while averaging less than 10 points per game, plus the fact he needs to get much stronger and he shoots a funky shot, but it can’t be stressed enough how impressive he’s been from a feel standpoint all season.

Haliburton’s pathway to going one-and-done may be inherently paradoxical, although frankly, he’s good enough that there should be no guilt discussing it—while NBA teams would undoubtedly love to see more of what he can do as a scorer and ball-handler, one of his strengths is how unselfishly he’s fit into Iowa State’s system (he had a remarkable 17-assist game early in the season), which generally features four ballhandlers at a time. In other words, it’s unlikely he breaks from what makes him so good to showcase other elements of his game that could turn more heads. But Iowa State does want him to shoot the ball more frequently, and he’s certainly capable of doing more from an individual perspective. Part of the beauty of the way he plays is how often he makes the correct choice to facilitate instead.

The prevailing thought is that returning to school would let him spend most of his time at point guard, thus creating a huge window for him to make a case as a first-round pick in 2020. Still, there are some (myself included) who already view him as a first-round talent, and stranger things have happened. He’s a player to watch closely, just in case.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I hadn't seen this posted yet from SI. A little piece on Haliburton as THE SUPER SLEEPER prospect:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/04/nba-draft-coby-white-ochai-agbaji-prospects-march-madness

The Super Sleeper: Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State
Although Haliburton is another player who seems like a better bet for the 2020 draft, the unheralded freshman has become a serious person of interest for NBA teams. The possibility of a productive March remains on the table, and as we’ve written dating back to January, Haliburton should at least be in good position to test the draft and get feedback. His case is certainly a strange one, as his scoring contributions and overall shot diversity have been minimal, but his brilliant feel for basketball is extremely evident and is something that has to be experienced over the course of a full game to properly comprehend. It will be hard for Haliburton to be a first-round pick while averaging less than 10 points per game, plus the fact he needs to get much stronger and he shoots a funky shot, but it can’t be stressed enough how impressive he’s been from a feel standpoint all season.

Haliburton’s pathway to going one-and-done may be inherently paradoxical, although frankly, he’s good enough that there should be no guilt discussing it—while NBA teams would undoubtedly love to see more of what he can do as a scorer and ball-handler, one of his strengths is how unselfishly he’s fit into Iowa State’s system (he had a remarkable 17-assist game early in the season), which generally features four ballhandlers at a time. In other words, it’s unlikely he breaks from what makes him so good to showcase other elements of his game that could turn more heads. But Iowa State does want him to shoot the ball more frequently, and he’s certainly capable of doing more from an individual perspective. Part of the beauty of the way he plays is how often he makes the correct choice to facilitate instead.

The prevailing thought is that returning to school would let him spend most of his time at point guard, thus creating a huge window for him to make a case as a first-round pick in 2020. Still, there are some (myself included) who already view him as a first-round talent, and stranger things have happened. He’s a player to watch closely, just in case.

Good lord, to my eye, he is not even close to NBA-ready. He shies away from shooting, needs extra space to do so and isn't the primary ball-handler. He's a terrific ballplayer and a great find for ISU and I think he could make it in the NBA. But now? I'm not an NBA scout but I sure don't see it.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Good lord, to my eye, he is not even close to NBA-ready. He shies away from shooting, needs extra space to do so and isn't the primary ball-handler. He's a terrific ballplayer and a great find for ISU and I think he could make it in the NBA. But now? I'm not an NBA scout but I sure don't see it.
This. And imo, he'd have to have an amazing soph season to be considered next season. Seems like a minimal 3 yr player and more likely 4.

Was freshmen Morris not doing very similar things as Halliburton this year?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I wouldn't blame him if he tested the waters after this season just to get some feedback and see where can improve. But I would be stunned if he went any further than that. The physical ability is clearly there but he's nowhere near a finished product. If he sticks around for another year or two he could eventually turn himself into a first round pick.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
If you're going to label him a "super sleeper", I have to imagine he's taking a stab at it with most of his reasoning behind the intangibles. Can't coach height, and can only coach vision/playmaking to an extent (impressive moments as a freshman, hasn't been in the system for several years to acquire the ability).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This. And imo, he'd have to have an amazing soph season to be considered next season. Seems like a minimal 3 yr player and more likely 4.

Was freshmen Morris not doing very similar things as Halliburton this year?
Yeah, there are some definite parallels with Monte. Monte used all his ISU years, plus one in the G League to work on his craft and get up to NBA-level production.

To answer one of the other posters, yes, the NBA drafts a lot of players on potential but those are usually physical "freaks", it seems to me. While Hali has good height for a guard, he's very thin, doesn't jump 35+ inches (that I've noticed), needs some extra time and space to get off his shot (which is very accurate).

They say you need one super-elite skill to make it in the NBA. I'm not sure what Haliburton's would be. He might become a great passer / floor general some day.

So, yeah, if he becomes Zion Williamson in the post-season, definitely draft him. Or if the kid convinces people who are smarter than I that he's got unbelievable upside, good for him. Get paid.

I don't see it though ... yet.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I see three years at the collegiate level before he can be ready for league. He's got incredible vision and court wisdom for such a young player but he needs to score more and put on a minimum of 15 to 20lbs.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
But doesn't the NBA draft on potential with the one and done types? Seems like by the time a player is 22 they feel they are too old.
Yeah somehow people keep missing the fact that a lot of guys get drafted high who aren't ready to jump right in and play in the league. They want to get guys with high potential as early as possible and NBA scouts can see if a guy will be a pro down the road. Keep in mind how many people talk **** about the NBA and say they never watch it yet sound off on which prospects are ready or not.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
THT, Haliburton, and Wiggy all need to come back next year to improve their game and draft stock. This should note even be open to discussion.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Morris Freshman stats:

6.8 PPG, 3.7 APG, 1.3 SPG, 2.6 RPG, 43% FG% and 40.6% 3pt%

Haliburton Stats:

6.8 PPG, 3.9 APG, 1.7 SPG, 3.3 RPG, 50% FG% and 43.3% 3pt%.

Monte had better in conference stats than Haliburton, but dang it's pretty close.

That said I remember both of their freshman years in a similar way, and I don't think Monte was anywhere close to being ready the same at TH, but both have fantastic careers ahead of them.
Good stuff here. Monte also had the benefit of playing against a grown-ass man in Deandre Kane in practices his freshman year, something that can't really be quantified. I remember reading a story of the first day of practice, Kane looked down at Monte and said something to the effect of "You're in for a long year, young fella." While not necessary for his development, Halliburton won't have that same challenge. I have to think it was invaluable to help Monte develop his toughness, along with competing next to guys like Naz and Niang. Here's hoping Halliburton gets whatever he needs to nudge him from good to great.