First coaches poll is out

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The Nebraska offense seemed to be clicking pretty well against Arizona to end the year.

Seriously? You want me to buy into their offensive greatness based off of 1 game that they had over a month to prepare for? What about the other 13 games when they looked awful? You sir have been blessed with a short memory. :yes:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I won't argue this point with you, but why not use the 2002 Iowa State Cyclones?

Very, very poor comparison.

Because Iowa State was unranked to start the season in 2002. At the point when we were 6-1 and ranked 9th, we were not even slightly overrated based on the results of the season thus far.

Iowa in '05 was highly ranked to start the season.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The Nebraska offense seemed to be clicking pretty well against Arizona to end the year.

FYI.... Nebraska's offense had the ball the entire game because their defense absolutely shut down Arizona. Hell... did Arizona even have 1 first down in the entire first half of that game?

Edit....

Arizona offensive stats that game
6 First downs
46 passing yards
63 rushing yards
3 of 15 on 3rd down
1 turnover
21:48 Time of possession

Arizona had 12 offensive possessions. One ended with an INT, 1 ended at the end of the first half, 9 ended with punts (8 were 3 & outs) and their final drive (only one over 25 yards) ended in a turnover on downs.

Nebraska's offense put the ball in the endzone 3 times.

First drive started at the Arizona 4yd line. The last one was a 6 play drive covering 89 yards of which 74 yards came on a bomb to Niles Paul.

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The difference between Iowa and Nebraska offensively was the fact that Iowa had only TWO starters start every game on offense last year due to injury. Iowa's offense never got to practice together, and thus never really hit their stride. That is why Iowa's offense was so inconsistent last season....it could look really good one week and really bad the next. Nebbie had relatively good luck with regard to injuries, but still managed to have a very poor offense.

In terms of returning offensive talent...well, it really isn't even close IMO. Stanzi is a better QB than Lee (and who isn't?), Iowa has 3 WR's who would start over the best NU WR, and I'll take Iowa's top 3 RB's over Nebbie's top 3 RB's every day. The only place where Nebbie may have a little more stability is the OL...but we'll have to see how Iowa's OL develops before we can say that definitively.

Further, I have absolutely no doubt Iowa will have a more complete defense than NU.

The reason NU gets the nod over Iowa in the polls is name brand....the old guys in the polls have a sentimental place in their heart for seeing NU in the top 10, so they put them up there.

Agree with most of your points, but Niles Paul would start over Sandeman. Sandeman made one great catch in the bowl game last year, and then reverted to the receiver that is slow, runs awful routes, and has zero body control. Also, the win over GT is a good victory, but 3 weeks earlier a lousy Georgia team road grated that same GT squad. So I think the Arizona win is a more cred worthy win. I also believe that the pollsters think that Lee will not be the QB all of this year. The player I am most interested in seeing is Baker Steinkuhler. He was a super talent, and after a few years with Pelini, he could be big time on the DL.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
The difference between Iowa and Nebraska offensively was the fact that Iowa had only TWO starters start every game on offense last year due to injury. Iowa's offense never got to practice together, and thus never really hit their stride. That is why Iowa's offense was so inconsistent last season....it could look really good one week and really bad the next. Nebbie had relatively good luck with regard to injuries, but still managed to have a very poor offense.

In terms of returning offensive talent...well, it really isn't even close IMO. Stanzi is a better QB than Lee (and who isn't?), Iowa has 3 WR's who would start over the best NU WR, and I'll take Iowa's top 3 RB's over Nebbie's top 3 RB's every day. The only place where Nebbie may have a little more stability is the OL...but we'll have to see how Iowa's OL develops before we can say that definitively.

Further, I have absolutely no doubt Iowa will have a more complete defense than NU.

The reason NU gets the nod over Iowa in the polls is name brand....the old guys in the polls have a sentimental place in their heart for seeing NU in the top 10, so they put them up there.

I'm actually in agreement with an Iowa fan (UGH). Iowa's running back trio is pretty darn good and DJK/McNutt are better threats than anyone Nebby has. Plus Iowa is always solid at TE. If Stanzi stops his Jekyll and Hyde routine, their offense could be tough.

I'm much more worried about Iowa's offense than Nebraska's.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I'm actually in agreement with an Iowa fan (UGH). Iowa's running back trio is pretty darn good and DJK/McNutt are better threats than anyone Nebby has. Plus Iowa is always solid at TE. If Stanzi stops his Jekyll and Hyde routine, their offense could be tough.

I'm much more worried about Iowa's offense than Nebraska's.

This. Iowa's only true weakness on offense is going to be their offensive line but as we all know that will only be for maybe the first 4 weeks of the season. By about week 5 they will have their **** together like they always do.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I just wish the rankings would not come out until the end of the out of conference schedule is complete. Then you can start the polls on how teams did.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
What happened at Florida State that they went from 7-6 to being ranked? What am I missing? Is that all based on the coaching change? I don't really see how losing a legend like Bowden and replacing him with Fisher is going to lead to a top 20 team. Especially when you've got the coach talking about how it's going to be a process to getting back on top.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What happened at Florida State that they went from 7-6 to being ranked? What am I missing? Is that all based on the coaching change? I don't really see how losing a legend like Bowden and replacing him with Fisher is going to lead to a top 20 team. Especially when you've got the coach talking about how it's going to be a process to getting back on top.

FSU is usually overrated coming into the season. A lot of it has to do with the raw talent on the roster. We will see how it turns out.

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France

Don't worry, this literally happens almost every single year with Miami and Florida St. They make the preseason rankings no matter what happened the season before, then they'll drop off completely around week 4, possibly resurfacing near the end of the season. Miami somewhat bucked the trend last season but this happens like clockwork. The only justification I can think of is they always have highly ranked recruiting classes.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I still don't get what gets people thinking that Nebraska is a top 10 team, other than than the fact that they are Nebraska. Just another program that people are waiting for to come back (like Notre Dame). Rank them in the top 10 when they actually play like a top 10 team, not because you want them to be. I don't care what Pelini says, that defense is going to take a step back this year. No way they find a way to replace Suh in just one offseason. And Zac Lee is still his QB. That says more than enough to keep them out of the top 10 right there.

This. I understand huskers tooting their own horn, but why is the national scene still fawning over them?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This. I understand huskers tooting their own horn, but why is the national scene still fawning over them?

They almost beat Texas last year on the big stage.
I am in the camp that believes their defense cannot improve by losing the best defensive player in the league. I also think returning starters on offense are only a plus if the offense was decent the previous year.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I still don't get what gets people thinking that Nebraska is a top 10 team, other than than the fact that they are Nebraska. Just another program that people are waiting for to come back (like Notre Dame). Rank them in the top 10 when they actually play like a top 10 team, not because you want them to be. I don't care what Pelini says, that defense is going to take a step back this year. No way they find a way to replace Suh in just one offseason. And Zac Lee is still his QB. That says more than enough to keep them out of the top 10 right there.

Same with Oklahoma. They were 8-5 last year and were beat by Nebraska. They finished outside the top 25. This year they are national title contenders. I don't get it

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
This. Iowa's only true weakness on offense is going to be their offensive line but as we all know that will only be for maybe the first 4 weeks of the season. By about week 5 they will have their **** together like they always do.

They replace their top three line men. The last time they did that was 07'. Look at their record then. Those RBs will have a hard time finding holes

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
has there been a more overrated team than the fuksers this year ever? i dont think so

Oklahoma this year. After all Nebbi beat them last year and finished with a better record and Oklahoma is ranked higher than Nebbie

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
No, we were not ranked that season. Beating a highly overrated Nebraska team and punching in the face an overhyped TTech team that year really bolstered ISU's credentials up to that point. Then yes, the collapse. I agree with what you are saying here 100% It's a lot different to move your way up because of wins as opposed to just getting a top 10 nod right off the bat. I think because of Suh and their defense last year, everyone is forgetting how awful their Offense really was. It wasn't just Lee who was the issue. I remember watching multiple games of Nebraska's where their receivers could not hold on to the ball. They have more than just their QB to worry about this year.

That being said, rank all of our opponents up there imo. It just makes us look better when we play them close or pull off a big victory. Nebby is probably being considered a Big 10 team now, that gives them an automatic 5 spot jump in the pre-season rankings every year. It's a lot easier to hold onto that top 10 spot with a close victory against a crappy opponent than it is to get into the rankings by just beating a crappy opponent.

And I don't ever remember, in my lifetime, seeing ISU ever come out ranked in the pre-season rankings. I'd love to know if we were.

Plus Cotton is their line coach. That should count two games against them

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
They almost beat Texas last year on the big stage.
I am in the camp that believes their defense cannot improve by losing the best defensive player in the league. I also think returning starters on offense are only a plus if the offense was decent the previous year.

They also piddled around and did nothing exciting in the b12 north, lost Suh, and now low and behold they are ranked.....it doesn't make sense.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
They replace their top three line men. The last time they did that was 07'. Look at their record then. Those RBs will have a hard time finding holes

In 07 Iowa's starting offensive line consisted of a true freshmen (although it was Bulaga, he was very young), two true sophomores, a JR and a SR. In terms of playing experience, those 5 guys only brought about 12 seasons of experience on that 07 line.

This years starting line up:

LT Reiff (3rd year SO)
LG Gettis (4th year JR)
C Koeppel (SR)
RG Vandervelde (5th year SR)
RT Zusevics (4th year JR)

The 2010 line will bring 20 years of experience to this offensive line. A comparison between the 07 line and 2010 line would not even be remotely close to accurate. I'm not saying the 2010 line will be anywhere near as good as the 02 line was...but I think this offensive line will surprise a lot of people.

The key component to Iowa's OL working well is to have it be composed of guys that have a lot of experience in the Iowa system. 3/4ths of this line will have been in the Iowa system for at least 4 years, and the one guy who hasn't been in the system for 4 year is Riley Reiff, who is Iowa's most talented OL.

If you expect this Iowa OL to be bad, or anywhere nearly as under achieving as the 07 line, you will be sorely disappointed. I don't know how deep this OL is, but as long as injuries don't become a huge problem, the starters will be more than adequate.

Help Support Us

Become a patron