Field at Jack Trice

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
What do they do with the tarps on the side of the field, dumb ###. It is covered and heaters are running to keep it thawed out. It's late November in Iowa.:rolleyes:

Reactions: wxman1

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Obviously, none of us want to move away from grass but are there improvements that can be made (equipment, installation, etc.) that can help with keeping turf warm as we enter these cold months?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I wouldn't mind seeing us do what green bay does up in lambeau. Its like a special hybrid so it can hold up in the winter, I remember hearing about it when I took a tour there a few years ago.
Here's the first link i could find about it.
http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...ft-through-technology-763p13j-137327223.html/

I am sure that if you are willing to donate the hundred of thousands (if not millions) to completely redo the sub surface infrastructure as well as build a new building/space to house all of the mechanical infrastructure and somewhere to store all of those lights they would at least have dinner with you.

• Funny
Reactions: dafarmer

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Love the grass, hate the flying black clouds at other stadiums. Grass can be a big home field advantage when most other teams always play on that dreadful field turf. We are not likely to ever be the fastest team in the Big 12, grass slows that speed down. Seems like less injuries on the grass as well.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I remember the days when JTS had artificial turf. Blown out knees were a regular occurrence.

In all fairness though, artificial turf is nothing like it was back in those days. Modern artificial turf is a great surface that stays consistent. Grass has its benefits but also its downsides, as we have seen this year in the poor quality surface we've had this season thanks to unfortunate weather earlier on.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yes the field is in rough shape right now but we have not had a typical fall either. Colder that normal and few days with sun. For the time of year and year we have had the field could be in a lot worse shape. No need to change the surface for maybe one game a year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yes the field is in rough shape right now but we have not had a typical fall either. Colder that normal and few days with sun. For the time of year and year we have had the field could be in a lot worse shape. No need to change the surface for maybe one game a year.

The counterpoint to that is that if we're going to start having more meaningful games in november, it becomes that much more important that we have a surface that lives up to that.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You call that a "counterpoint", I call that a "home field advantage".

Is it an advantage though?

Some things are just neutral, and could just serve as things that even the playing field. As we get better is that a good thing? Maybe for those games against teams that are much better than us from a talent standpoint, but we're working to change that too so that fewer teams have that kind of advantage on us, and once we're there it could just as easily make games closer than they should be against inferior opponents.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Is it an advantage though?

Some things are just neutral, and could just serve as things that even the playing field. As we get better is that a good thing? Maybe for those games against teams that are much better than us from a talent standpoint, but we're working to change that too so that fewer teams have that kind of advantage on us, and once we're there it could just as easily make games closer than they should be against inferior opponents.

I think one thing that's going to be constant is even as we even up the talent with the top of the Big 12, we're probably always going to be at a slight speed disadvantage just because even with significantly improved recruiting we're still usually going to miss on the best of the best. One thing that can help neutralize a speed advantage is a slightly "messy" field, especially when it's our home field. At that point it's up to our equipment crew to ensure our players are best equipped to play in those conditions, namely ensuring our players are wearing the proper cleats.

This thread is also a little ridiculous in it's tone - it's acting like the turf at JTS was trashed at the end of the year, and it wasn't. If you want to see messy fields, look at Pittsburgh, LA (Coliseum), and Georgia - those fields are/were messes. Jack Trice might not be pristine at this time of year, but let's quit acting like the field was a disaster, because it wasn't - it was still in relatively good shape, but the players weren't geared properly for field conditions that were different than earlier in the year.

• Agree

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think one thing that's going to be constant is even as we even up the talent with the top of the Big 12, we're probably always going to be at a slight speed disadvantage just because even with significantly improved recruiting we're still usually going to miss on the best of the best. One thing that can help neutralize a speed advantage is a slightly "messy" field, especially when it's our home field. At that point it's up to our equipment crew to ensure our players are best equipped to play in those conditions, namely ensuring our players are wearing the proper cleats.

This thread is also a little ridiculous in it's tone - it's acting like the turf at JTS was trashed at the end of the year, and it wasn't. If you want to see messy fields, look at Pittsburgh, LA (Coliseum), and Georgia - those fields are/were messes. Jack Trice might not be pristine at this time of year, but let's quit acting like the field was a disaster, because it wasn't - it was still in relatively good shape, but the players weren't geared properly for field conditions that were different than earlier in the year.

I could argue all in all that we have a better speed advantage right now that most teams in the conference, and all of the non-con teams we play by far.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Oh, i agree. Things could certainly be much worse and this field was taxed quite a bit earlier this season so hopefully we see things bounce back next season with more 'normal' weather. It certainly isnt an emergency 'something needs to be done' situation.

On a side note, I am curious what the usual 'lifespan' is on the natural grass field before they have to tear it up and rebuild it from the base up. I want to say we did that about 10 years ago and again about 10 years before that.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As to the original question..... NO!!!!

I love having natural grass, and we have one of the best grass fields in the country.

Now, with that said, it wouldn't surprise me if the coaches weren't too happy with the field this year. We had terrible fall weather. Way too much rain, very little sun, etc. So the field wasn't in the normal great shape it usually is.

The new artificial field turf is a lot better for injuries than the old stuff, but it has been shown that nothing is safer for the athletes than natural grass.

• Agree