Field at Jack Trice

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Kramer-What.gif

sure, why not? Yeah, just slide the whole field underneath the Jacobson building with an indoor lighting and watering system.. Keep it nice and warm, and green. Wheel it out for games. That would be kick ass.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
What do we do, run it on rails to Florida, then speed it back to Ames in game day?

What good does leaving it outside to the then move it outside do? If you have ideas to counter act nature I’m sure Green Bay and Chicago would love to buy your ideas.

If you were a 12 year old kid posting this, I’m sorry for being an ass.

No, I'm not 12, and I wan't being serious. But I forgive you for being an ass.;)

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Any of you oldtimes (like me) remember the horrid fake-turf from the 70s-80s at Cyclone Stadium? Originally laid down when the stadium was built for the '75 season, but the turf was never replaced / upgraded - even through the mid-80s. It literally was so smashed and matted down that it became a rug over asphalt.

LoyalFawker

Jul 13, 2016
Kansas City
I am sure that if you are willing to donate the hundred of thousands (if not millions) to completely redo the sub surface infrastructure as well as build a new building/space to house all of the mechanical infrastructure and somewhere to store all of those lights they would at least have dinner with you.
I don't need to, Mid America has already done that for me. It is their field after all ;)

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That look is nice for a High School stadium, We are a Power 5 Stadium.

The Kinnick field looks way better in the Fall. Our dull grass really cheapens the look. At least GMO the grass to make it look greener or something. :D

Young Recruits are looking at this on Television.

At its best, the look of our natural grass blows away artificial surfaces on TV. I understand that is not true in November, but go rewatch any game from September and try to argue the surface looks better. Besides, artificial turf just looks fake.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
No, I'm not 12, and I wan't being serious. But I forgive you for being an ass.;)

Seriously then, how do we do what Arizona does in November in Iowa? You can’t grow grass indoors or outside in the winter in Iowa. I’d love to hear your ingenious plan to do what Arizona does with their field.

Sorry you think I’m an ass, but in a lot of ways, this is how football was meant to be played. You 13 year olds today are too spoiled. Google the “Ice Bowl”

• Funny
Reactions: Urbandale2013

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I say use it as a home field advantage. Make the opposing team come in November and play on a trash field.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
At its best, the look of our natural grass blows away artificial surfaces on TV. I understand that is not true in November, but go rewatch any game from September and try to argue the surface looks better. Besides, artificial turf just looks fake.

I dont know about TV, but I had a hard time convincing sooner fans sitting behind me at a game a few years back that it was in fact a grass field. They thought it looked too good. Of course they don't have top soil in Oklahoma so they wouldn't know what nice grass looks like.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The natural grass surface has won multiple awards over the years. Here is a link I found to one when is was originally switched over.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjASegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw019WnW4SwD7NWn2kR4nOMJ

OU and TCU both have natural grass. There are a lot of good competive advantage reasons why ISU should stay natural and not go artificial.

This year was just a rough weather year. WVU game was slippery because of the weeks of rain before the game. Never had a chance to dry out. They top dressed more sand onto the field after that game to try and get a drier surface but never got enough rain to compact the sand so they ended up with a looser soil surface and more slipping.

When they reseed, put in an inground heating system and increase the drainage to deal with frozen or wet fields. Grow light system would also yield some benefits.

Just my thoughts,

Reactions: ianoconnor

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I "Agree" one hundred percent...for crying out loud guys we are a land grant university with an Agronomy School and you want to put in an artificial RUG.....NO way JOSE....

.....and remember GO CYCLONES
FWIW, the turfgrass management program is part of horticulture, not agronomy. :)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I heard there moving the Drake game into the practice field for this very issue.