fg's/pat's--whose fault is it

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
something has to be corrected here. is mahoney not getting the ball up on these blocks or is the OL not doing their job.

a blocked pat SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. you can pretty much kick it straight up in the air and make it over the cross bar. yet we have had how many blocked kicks?

anybody a kicking guru. what the crap is going on? this has potentially cost us 2 wins and yesterday could have easliy ended in a 10-9 loss because of our inept sp teams.

is it GM the OL or both?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
something has to be corrected here. is mahoney not getting the ball up on these blocks or is the OL not doing their job.

a blocked pat SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. you can pretty much kick it straight up in the air and make it over the cross bar. yet we have had how many blocked kicks?

anybody a kicking guru. what the crap is going on? this has potentially cost us 2 wins and yesterday could have easliy ended in a 10-9 loss because of our inept sp teams.

is it GM the OL or both?

it is the whole units fault

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

is it GM the OL or both?

I blame Jamie Pollard.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN

is it GM the OL or both?

Both - yesterday on both the PAT and the FG there was penetration right between the center and the right guard. That is just unacceptable...

As for Mahoney, you can understand needing to drive that ball on the 40-whatever yard FG attempt, but no excuse for a low trajectory on a PAT.

Anyone else wonder how it would work out if we just scooted Mahoney and Shmidgall (sp?) back ~3 yards on PATs? Mahoney has plenty of leg (that 52 yard field goal yesterday could have cleared posts from 60)...can't be any worse than the current performance! :confused:

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
Both - yesterday on both the PAT and the FG there was penetration right between the center and the right guard. That is just unacceptable...

As for Mahoney, you can understand needing to drive that ball on the 40-whatever yard FG attempt, but no excuse for a low trajectory on a PAT.

Anyone else wonder how it would work out if we just scooted Mahoney and Shmidgall (sp?) back ~3 yards on PATs? Mahoney has plenty of leg (that 52 yard field goal yesterday could have cleared posts from 60)...can't be any worse than the current performance! :confused:

i have often wondered that too. why not just scoot back on pat's? what could it possibly hurt, they are getting blocked half the time anyway.

Reactions: JBone84

skipisu

Oct 22, 2009
lincoln, ne
what i have observed in photos and video clips of highlights of this weeks game... the line couldnt hold suh and turner (?) and the long snapper appeared to have his back to the nu d-line in some of the photos i have seen.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
After the first kick yesterday, the radio announcers said Rhoads was giving the officials an "earfull" about the NE D-line "pulling" on the offensive linemen.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Is Mahoney more jittery because the penetration is getting there faster? Maybe it is related.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Simple answer is having to re-train your snapper. Additionally, you make it easier to block from the sides because there isn't nearly the angle to go around.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I played right guard on kicks in college and one of my sons was a kicker in college. Everybody on the line should lean to the inside or center on the snap. Yoy'd be surprised how effective it is to give a guy a shot in the mid-section if he jumps up! The center needs to be able to hold his ground and should have some size. I haven't checked the size of our snapper. A common ploy is to block or pull the center one way or the other and have somebody go up the middle, which I would guess is what is going on. That's why you have everybody step to the inside. I was in KC & Lincoln, its a combination of middle penetration and somewhat low trajectory. If the blocking was executed a little better it would help. Kickers need to not think about it and just be relaxed and automatic. Mahoney is a good kicker and he is now letting his mind screw his extra point efforts up--they should never be a problem.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Timing is all off. You are always going to have guys jumping in the middle/getting some penetration, but you negate it when the ball is off on time with decent trajectory. When you get the snap down and then get a 1 Mississippi count in before your kicker swings through (like on the blocked field goal), it is going to get blocked more often than not. Mahoney needs to be swinging through as soon as the laces are spun.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron