Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I've always been taught to wait till soil temperatures reach the mid-50s. Currently mid-40s in Central Iowa.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Looking to plant a redbud tree in our front yard this spring. What’s the best time to do that? Can I put I put pre-emergent down for the grass and still plant a tree?

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Soil temp 50 to 55 for a few days and get pre emergence down.
We are weeks ahead of last year East of St Louis. Did mine a week ago.
Will probably need to re apply in May.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Putting down chicken manure in my yard today. Dethatched last fall and then again a couple weeks ago with some rain coming thought it would be a good idea to get it down. $23 for a couple 4,000 yard bags.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Big lawn companies out putting down pre-emergence yesterday already. I predict a lot of disappointed homeowners when they try to sell a second application around the same time they usually make the first.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Putting down chicken manure in my yard today. Dethatched last fall and then again a couple weeks ago with some rain coming thought it would be a good idea to get it down. $23 for a couple 4,000 yard bags.
I cleaned out the chicken house when I was young. Placed about a 1/2 of it on Moms strawberry patch. Let's just say that was ill advised. Burnt them bad.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I'm thinking of spraying for bugs this week. With the ground not freezing this winter, I have a feeling it's going to be an awful year for bugs. I'm already seeing gnats everywhere and it's only March.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Big lawn companies out putting down pre-emergence yesterday already. I predict a lot of disappointed homeowners when they try to sell a second application around the same time they usually make the first.
???

I'm not tracking this line of thinking. Pre-emergent application should be based on soil temps, not date on a calendar. No second application should be needed, since if you miss the germination window then you're dealing with post-emergent treatments later.

What am I missing here?

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
So much depends on the person applying the product and the quality of the chemical. I've watched these companies sprint through a subdivision, and others who actually take their time and do it right. I'm a do it myself on 1.5 acre. And I probably pay double what a "chem lawn" would charge me. However, the result is so worth it for me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I cleaned out the chicken house when I was young. Placed about a 1/2 of it on Moms strawberry patch. Let's just say that was ill advised. Burnt them bad.
Raw chicken manure will do that. Learned that from raising chickens on the farm and then putting it on your garden at a high rate. Dried out type is much easier on lawns and gardens.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
???

I'm not tracking this line of thinking. Pre-emergent application should be based on soil temps, not date on a calendar. No second application should be needed, since if you miss the germination window then you're dealing with post-emergent treatments later.

What am I missing here?

Could there not be a longer window for it this year? If the chemicals only last so long it makes sense to me that you might need a double dose

Reactions: Agclone91

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
???

What am I missing here?
You're correct - however the odds of soil temps staying at germination levels for the next month aren't high IMO. It largely would depend on what product is used and how much rainfall we get in that period. If you estimate 8 weeks of effectiveness for the product then we have exited our effective window in Mid-May already. If temps stay high then everything will germinate in that window and all will be fine. If we drop in temp again for the next month then we could start approaching the end of that effective period pretty quickly and want to be looking at a second application.

I guess my point was don't be surprised when the lawn companies use the early warm temps as a sales opportunity for additional applications.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
You're correct - however the odds of soil temps staying at germination levels for the next month aren't high IMO. It largely would depend on what product is used and how much rainfall we get in that period. If you estimate 8 weeks of effectiveness for the product then we have exited our effective window in Mid-May already. If temps stay high then everything will germinate in that window and all will be fine. If we drop in temp again for the next month then we could start approaching the end of that effective period pretty quickly and want to be looking at a second application.

I guess my point was don't be surprised when the lawn companies use the early warm temps as a sales opportunity for additional applications.
This was posted in the weather thread but seems like a good place to put it.

• Winner
Reactions: Agclone91

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So… given the bad drought in NE Iowa, when do I dethatch and get pre emergence down?

Reactions: dmclone

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
So… given the bad drought in NE Iowa, when do I dethatch and get pre emergence down?
Safe to dethatch now IMO. I would say the pre emergence depends on the size of your yard and cost. Smaller yard I have no problem having to come back and do another one. I will do one tomorrow before the rain is suppose to hit. I layer the applications throughout the year. In Central Iowa we already have some weeds popping up along the landscapes and warm spots in the yard.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Safe to dethatch now IMO. I would say the pre emergence depends on the size of your yard and cost. Smaller yard I have no problem having to come back and do another one. I will do one tomorrow before the rain is suppose to hit. I layer the applications throughout the year. In Central Iowa we already have some weeds popping up along the landscapes and warm spots in the yard.
Yards not wide but long. So I like to hit it in one shot. I am not super picky but prefer a halfway decent yard. And my neighbors don’t do jack for weeds so if I don’t nail the preemergence timing, I’ve got a mess all summer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron