Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Couple of questions for you composters.

1. When do you start your compost pile for the year?
2. My hesitation with composting is that I don't want to attract unwanted critters in my yard. Would something like this keep them away? https://tinyurl.com/2s36727p

We use a compost tumbler which avoids any critter issues. We compost as long as temps are above freezing. In winter months, we still collect compost but drop it off at the city site.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just finished dethatching my front yard. Holy cow!! I used a metal leaf rake (great upper body work out!) Raked it in like different direction and I know there is still more there yet. Had to quit as it filled my yard waste bin. Probably a 35' x 50' area. After doing that, I don't know if I want to do the back yard. Probably could have gotten a bale off of this.

IMG_3489.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: khardbored

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Just finished dethatching my front yard. Holy cow!! I used a metal leaf rake (great upper body work out!) Raked it in like different direction and I know there is still more there yet. Had to quit as it filled my yard waste bin. Probably a 35' x 50' area. After doing that, I don't know if I want to do the back yard. Probably could have gotten a bale off of this.

View attachment 117054
I bought a Sun Joe electric dethatcher and did my yard 2 springs ago and got a whole truck bed full of grass clippings. It was really impressive. It stunted my yard that summer since it turned super dry after that but it came back pretty thick the next spring.

Reactions: wxman1

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Curious -- I am doing something wrong, or maybe something right, because I've never dethatched my lawn (9 years), and really don't think I need to?

Maybe it has nothing to do with me?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Curious -- I am doing something wrong, or maybe something right, because I've never dethatched my lawn (9 years), and really don't think I need to?

Maybe it has nothing to do with me?

Do you bag clippings? All you’re doing is picking up mulched grass that hasn’t broken down. It prevents new grass from filling in bare dirt because it chokes it out or seed never reaches the soil surface.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Do you bag clippings? All you’re doing is picking up mulched grass that hasn’t broken down. It prevents new grass from filling in bare dirt because it chokes it out or seed never reaches the soil surface.
I'm confused -- are you pro-bagging or anti-bagging?
Seems like both here. I probably am missing something.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
MOLES!!!!

Long story short -- due to sickness, I didn't mow for about 3 weeks, late Aug into mid Sept. Not too bad, it was still hot. When I finally do, I see them -- the telltale streaks of dead grass, like paths all over the place -- A MOLE!!!! I get them about every other year, but this one was particularly bad.

tumblr_inline_o5wczrym5A1r5lzvt_500.gif

I'm pleased to report the mole is now dead. I have been testing and I don't believe there are any more. Amazing how much damage 1 can do!

My question is this -- how do I make the ugly streaks go away quickly where the mole killed (or at least partially killed) the grass below the surface?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm confused -- are you pro-bagging or anti-bagging?
Seems like both here. I probably am missing something.

I’m not really anything. There are pros and cons and multiple ways to go about things. The original question was why haven’t I needed to dethatch my lawn. Bagging clippings on a regular basis would mean it’s probably not necessary.

He’s losing the nutrients from the organic matter not breaking down but also leaving areas for grass to come up when overseeding. Most people mulch clippings and then dethatch what doesn’t break down, then overseed.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
MOLES!!!!

Long story short -- due to sickness, I didn't mow for about 3 weeks, late Aug into mid Sept. Not too bad, it was still hot. When I finally do, I see them -- the telltale streaks of dead grass, like paths all over the place -- A MOLE!!!! I get them about every other year, but this one was particularly bad.

tumblr_inline_o5wczrym5A1r5lzvt_500.gif

I'm pleased to report the mole is now dead. I have been testing and I don't believe there are any more. Amazing how much damage 1 can do!

My question is this -- how do I make the ugly streaks go away quickly where the mole killed (or at least partially killed) the grass below the surface?
Aren’t those voles that you are describing?

Just rake up the dead grass and it will fix itself in few weeks. There is no quick fix unless you put seed in the streaks. But then the new grass may be a little bit different color so then you have a different problem.

• Informative

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Aren’t those voles that you are describing?

Just rake up the dead grass and it will fix itself in few weeks. There is no quick fix unless you put seed in the streaks. But then the new grass may be a little bit different color so then you have a different problem.
Depends. Above ground path = vole, underground tunnel=mole. Moles dig under the grass which leaves to yellow lines and tunnels all over. Voles just make small trails above ground in the grass canopy. Those little trails can also make yellow lines. If its moles, make sure to collapse/step on the tunnels to get rid of the empty space.

Reactions: legi

Mar 21, 2021
I mow 4 acres. The moles are everywhere, have been for years. New mounds every day. They do a great job of keep the soil uncompacted. But gotta mow at max 4.5" to keep the blades out of the soil.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I mow 4 acres. The moles are everywhere, have been for years. New mounds every day. They do a great job of keep the soil uncompacted. But gotta mow at max 4.5" to keep the blades out of the soil.
Yeah I read something that said moles are actually good for aerating your lawn. I just leave them alone.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Alright, got a lot of rain the last week and a few warmer temp days this week. Wait a couple weeks still for winterizer (high nitro) or do it now? My yard has bounced back, even the areas I thought were dormant from the drought and looks largely ok to really good depending on the area.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
At this point of the year do you think hitting a lawn with weed chemicals before or after a mow is going to get best result on weed kill? My thought is if you leave the weeds alone there is more coverage area for chemical to apply to while also been told if I mow the damaged/wounded weeds will kill easier.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Alright, got a lot of rain the last week and a few warmer temp days this week. Wait a couple weeks still for winterizer (high nitro) or do it now? My yard has bounced back, even the areas I thought were dormant from the drought and looks largely ok to really good depending on the area.
I am planning on winterizing my lawn next week since there is a chance of rain for about 4 days in a row later in the week so maybe it will get watered in well. I am not sure if this is right or not, but that's my plan. I thought the grass was dormant too, but the last bit of rain really spruced it up.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'm planning 2 more apps - one this coming weekend and then another mid-november.

Reactions: cyfreddy

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Reactions: JM4CY