Favorite ISU FB Game You Saw in Person

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
2002 Iowa game when I was 14. I went with my brother, dad, and my best friend at the time (who was a huge Iowa fan). Practically on the first play Fred Russell broke free and scored on what seemed like an 80 yard run. My friend started laughing hysterically in my face. When we were down 24 - 7 at the end of the first half he got extremely cocky and was loudly predicting a 40 point loss for the good guys.

Then the second half happened. He wasn't worried at first, but as we gradually crept back in the game a look of fear slowly developed in his eyes. By the end of the game he was so angry he was shouting. I remember one play in particular when we tackled Russell for a loss and he screamed "WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!". I calmly and sarcastically replied "...he got tackled", and he about blew a gasket. The walk back to our car and ride back to Des Moines were bittersweet. I'll never forget that game as long as I live.

edit: found this link in case anyone wants to relive the glory

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=608667

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
2002 Nebraska game for me! We kicked Nebraska out of the top 25 after they were consistently ranked for however many years it was. We were also still in the "this is the season" euphoria on our way to a #9 ranking before flaming out the rest of the season.

It was by far the best on field experience after the rush I have ever been a part of. My friend ran onto the field a play early thinking it was over, jumped up and hugged a linebacker running down the sidelines, made it in ESPN the mag.

edit: also the first time i realized that no matter how hard the crowd tries, the field goal posts ARE NOT coming down. They had so many people on them you couldnt even see the post.

Last edited:

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
'02 at Iowa and its really not that close, I cant believe people are putting a game we LOST as there favorite???

Sheaglehawk

Aug 30, 2010
2004 Nebraska.

I was at the 2002 Iowa and 2005 Iowa games, but this one was bigger for me, personally. Beating Iowa is fun and all, but it's not a win that would traditionally get conference respect. Nebraska has beaten us a lot more frequently and by a lot bigger margins during the tenure of my fanhood, so any win over NU is just really, really sweet for me.

In 2004, we were coming off that abortion of a season in 2003, and this was the moment in the season where the light bulb went off and we realized "holy crap! This team might actually be pretty good!". The Jack was packed and rocking, and we rolled the Huskers that day. The weather was gorgeous, and it was just a great ******* day to be a Cyclone.

I don't know about that, considering over the past decade Iowa was far better than any team in the Big Texas North, but whatever you say!

I was actually at '04 ISU vs Nebby game (Bro went to ISU) and have to admit it was pretty fun. Nice to see you guys take the Fuskers down after all those years of Osbourne running up the score on you.

R3DRocket

Aug 30, 2010
Urbandale
Dan the Man's last game against Mizzou in 2006. Ryan Kock runs like a rhino for 179 yrds. Followed closely by Nebraska in 2002 when I helped Atif Austin climb the goalpost.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don't know about that, considering over the past decade Iowa was far better than any team in the Big Texas North, but whatever you say!

I was actually at '04 ISU vs Nebby game (Bro went to ISU) and have to admit it was pretty fun. Nice to see you guys take the Fuskers down after all those years of Osbourne running up the score on you.
It doesn't matter how good Iowa is compared to Big 12 conference members, especially the north. Winning the Big 12 north or a big conference game is much larger than beating Iowa, no matter how good Iowa is.

Sheaglehawk

Aug 30, 2010
It doesn't matter how good Iowa is compared to Big 12 conference members, especially the north. Winning the Big 12 north or a big conference game is much larger than beating Iowa, no matter how good Iowa is.

I completely understand this, but Al made it sound like beating Iowa was the equivalent of beating Southern Methodist.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
98 @Iowa City
04 @KSU. And at the time, was Snyder's last season I think. The win made us bowl eligible
00 Insight Bowl
TT "The Run"
05 CU "The Tornado"

Last edited:

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Dan the Man's last game against Mizzou in 2006. Ryan Kock runs like a rhino for 179 yrds. Followed closely by Nebraska in 2002 when I helped Atif Austin climb the goalpost.

I think Dan's last game was at least the one that I ENJOYED the most. I literally had tears in my eyes. He went out with such class and really deserved to win that one and be carried off the field. It was such a weird feeling, because I didn't want him to go yet was excited and really believed that we could take the next step with different play calling. If he would have come back and made some more calls like he did that day I would have been just as excited to keep him.

Of course that is easy to say looking at it today, but even forgetting about the the ******* that followed him, making that game the epiphany and dan making a few more calls like that. That would have made for some fun years.

Only complaint I had was where the hell was Ryan all year long. I always liked his smack you in the face style. Wish he'd gotten that chance more often.

At any rate, seeing him carried off the field and even better before that when he went bat **** crazy making the "go for it call" I was so happy for him. Never have I wanted a call like that to come through for someone, like I did that day. I didn't want to leave. That was special for me.

Last edited:

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
1B is the nebby game last year. I had so much fun at that game even though I was in shock and also about the quietest I've ever been at a game. We were in the donors clubhouse. Some real decent fans. The clubhouse had free massages before the game for donors, and our friends sent my wife and I in with the N card to get us some.

Really a great time. I felt bad joking with the crew next to us that I was hoping to take a picture in front of the stadium under their little saying on the side of the stadium. Some how in a couple of them, I only got part of the text of the quote in my picture. Look carefully next to the guy's head, or look at the second picture. It was his new Christmas card this past year.

Really good sports though. Highly recommend and Nebby roady over the trash you run into as "neighbors" on the other side.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I completely understand this, but Al made it sound like beating Iowa was the equivalent of beating Southern Methodist.

Well, that's how you took it, but honestly that's how the rest of the Big 12 has reacted in the past. I can't count how many times other Big 12 fans were like "congrats, you beat a Big 10 team. Do you want a cookie?". Even when Iowa was pretty good. Most Big 12 fans, at least 2 years ago and farther backed viewed the Big 10 as wildly inferior. I'm not saying that beating Iowa wasn't a good accomplishment for ISU, I'm saying that we didn't really get a lot of respect for it.

And 2002 is the only time ISU has beaten the Hawks when the Hawks finished with more than 7 wins.

IF ISU beat Iowa this year, that would be a major, major, major accomplishment.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska win in '76. Our best team to ever play in Jack Trice.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
My favorite had to be Sept 11, 2010 when we caught everyone off guard and just humiliated Iowa in Iowa City, ruining the tavern hawks thoughts of a national championship.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
At JTS... Probably the Tornado game or the Texas Tech game in 2002 since that was my sr year at ISU.

Overall ISU game... Either 2002 at Kinnick when we came from behind to beat them at night. Great second half and so much fun walking back to the truck after the game. I never seen so many dejected and crying Hawk fans.

Another great road game. K-State 2004 when we came back in the 4th Qtr after being down by 14 or so. So much fun.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
1B is the nebby game last year. I had so much fun at that game even though I was in shock and also about the quietest I've ever been at a game. We were in the donors clubhouse. Some real decent fans. The clubhouse had free massages before the game for donors, and our friends sent my wife and I in with the N card to get us some.

Really a great time. I felt bad joking with the crew next to us that I was hoping to take a picture in front of the stadium under their little saying on the side of the stadium. Some how in a couple of them, I only got part of the text of the quote in my picture. Look carefully next to the guy's head, or look at the second picture. It was his new Christmas card this past year.

Really good sports though. Highly recommend and Nebby roady over the trash you run into as "neighbors" on the other side.

How'd you pull that tailgate spot?

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Iowa or Colorado 2005. Both awesome games for different reasons... both incrediebly fun atmopsheres

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Since all the wins over Iowa are equally great, I picked among the others:

Best game: 2000 Insight.com bowl, the first bowl win in ISU history and only bowl I travelled to.

Runner Up: 1992 Nebraska - ISU win with Marvelous Marv running around end. And I got into the Jack for free cause my roomate's brother thought we had no chance to win.

Honorable Mention: 2002 Nebraska - ISU win. My first football game with my wife prior to us being married. She's a Husker fan, and still married me, though she left in the 3rd quarter since her team was doing so poorly she couldn't stand to watch. I just remember the signs on the interstate 80 from Omaha to DesMoines touting the Clones, and they lived up to it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron