Fashion Police: How/where do you carry your cell phone?

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
My old sea hag observation from this thread is that if you believe it's not okay to have your cell phone on your belt, you probably also believe it's okay to show up at a job interview wearing an untucked shirt and maybe even jeans because that's what is featured in whatever passes for fashion today. (I'm not talking about an interview for a summer job mowing parks, this is for a career position requiring a college degree.) Whereas in my generation it is not 'cool' to show up at a job interview with me, wearing clothes that you apparently slept in, but thank goodness (!) you don't have your cell phone on your belt.
:parghh:
The one versus 2-strap analogy presented a few posts ago is dead-on right. It's all about what generation you fall into. At some point in time I hope you reach the age where life isn't about what everyone else does/thinks and it becomes what's right for you.

Do people actually show up to interviews dressed like that? I for one think its pretty "socks w/ sandalsish" to wear your phone on your belt however would be shocked to see someone dress like that for an interview. Worst ive seen lately was the black shirt black pants black tie combo.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
That's an interesting point you bring up. By the way, I am still one-strapping it to this day on the rare occasions where I have a back pack. I was a little younger than you but in Western Iowa it takes that long to catch up with a fad.

I don't find any one-strappers anymore. I think people finally figured out the practical reason you'd use both. Maybe...just maybe...the same will happen in the world of cell phones someday.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
I see where you're coming from, but for those of us that are curious by nature (and not necessary "worried" about the answer we'll receive), this an interesting topic..not as a means to redefine how we carry our cell phone but rather, how did we get where we are today. (yeah….I know…deep ****!) :biggrin:

Many of us have been where many of today's "kids" are on acceptable fashion trends. This one is particularly interesting to me because you basically forgo a practical option for the sake of cultural acceptance. For example, for those on this forum that attended ISU in the late 80's/early 90's and used backpacks, it was basically taboo to carry your backpack using both straps. Literally (and ask anyone who was on campus during those days and they'll tell you), you didn't use both straps on your backpack. Period. Yes….I know everyone does use both straps today and it doesn't make sense to only use one, but you were basically a nerd (or forgiven as being an International student) if you did back in those days.

Just like the cell phone question I posed. It isn't about practical, it is about what the masses say is cool/acceptable for the time. There still is no practical reason why you wouldn't wear a clip/holder…I was just looking for the superior alternative (which there obviously is none.)

Nothing on this thread gives me any reason to thing the cell phone clip is any different than the one-strap backpack reasoning of the late 1980's.

The flaw in your logic is that there are 2 classes of no-clippers: those who do it be "cool" and those who arrived at it looking for the best possible solution. Your argument against the "cool" crowd is correct, but it strikes me that most no-clippers in this thread are probably using their pocket b/c it is the best solution.

Personally I don't want another accessory to carry my phone (clip/holster) and my phone stays cleaner/better protected in my pocket (I don't use a case--this is my experience after previously using a clip/holster).

I think most adults will agree that if you are doing something only b/c everyone else is doing it you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The flaw in your logic is that there are 2 classes of no-clippers: those who do it be "cool" and those who arrived at it looking for the best possible solution. Your argument against the "cool" crowd is correct, but it strikes me that most no-clippers in this thread are probably using their pocket b/c it is the best solution.

Personally I don't want another accessory to carry my phone (clip/holster) and my phone stays cleaner/better protected in my pocket (I don't use a case--this is my experience after previously using a clip/holster).

I think most adults will agree that if you are doing something only b/c everyone else is doing it you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

I agree that the premise of the thread is faulty - it assumes that someone's pocket isn't an acceptable alternative just because someone doesn't find it so, and because he/she assumes that everyone's reasons for doing it are purely vain. When I need to put my phone on vibrate (at work, anywhere in public, etc.), I put it in my pocket instead of my purse. That's how you tell that it's ringing. Like you said, it's also unnecessary difficulty to put it in a holster when it is cleaner/safer in my pocket. Plus, why would I pay for a holster when my pocket comes for free with my pants?

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I remember toward the end of my senior year I was sitting in Black Engineering finishing up a project. I was wearing grubby clothes, hadn't shaved, and really needed a haircut.

A buddy came up sat down and said "Dang you look like crap".

At that moment I had a revelation. I said "You know what I have a sweet job waiting for me and I'm engaged. I really don't have a reason to care anymore."

I used to be a pocket guy not because I cared, but because it was convenient. Now I have a smart phone that doesn't fit in my pocket very well so I'm a belt clip guy. Still don't care and it's more convenient.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
I used to be a pocket guy not because I cared, but because it was convenient. Now I have a smart phone that doesn't fit in my pocket very well so I'm a belt clip guy. Still don't care and it's more convenient.

That's interesting--I was a clip guy w/ my original phones. For the last 6+ years I've had smartphones and have moved to the pocket for my reasons stated above. Not once have I ever considered that it would be "cooler"--only more convenient.

This was all arrived at using my ability to reason for myself (results/conclusions may vary depending on variables).

To the OP: different strokes for different folks. :yes:

PS: I think most people in engineering eventually reach the "don't care" point...hopefully this is true for most people in life.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I agree that the premise of the thread is faulty - it assumes that someone's pocket isn't an acceptable alternative just because someone doesn't find it so, and because he/she assumes that everyone's reasons for doing it are purely vain. When I need to put my phone on vibrate (at work, anywhere in public, etc.), I put it in my pocket instead of my purse. That's how you tell that it's ringing. Like you said, it's also unnecessary difficulty to put it in a holster when it is cleaner/safer in my pocket. Plus, why would I pay for a holster when my pocket comes for free with my pants?

It might have been flawed, but plenty of responses on this thread (not to mention the comments I orginally heard that caused me to start the thread) indicated it was simply nerdy or not cool to wear it on the belt. So, I'm not sure how you can called the premise flawed.

As for vibrate mood...I can feel mine vibrate when it is in the holster. I don't need it in my pocket for that.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It might have been flawed, but plenty of responses on this thread (not to mention the comments I orginally heard that caused me to start the thread) indicated it was simply nerdy or not cool to wear it on the belt. So, I'm not sure how you can called the premise flawed.

As for vibrate mood...I can feel mine vibrate when it is in the holster. I don't need it in my pocket for that.

Far more responses have had valid reasons for using their pocket, though, but you still call it an inferior solution. It's flawed because it categorizes all people who do something into mindless drones who are only doing what society tells them to, which is just not the case.

In the end, who cares if someone else puts their phone in their pocket or in a holster? I may personally think it looks dumb one way or the other, but I'm not going to judge someone or their intellect based off of it.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
Pager and Phone both clip together on same side of belt.

Chicks dig it. Pager so old it has become a conversation piece and takes a single AA battery. Still get pages to an old DMPD number.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I just leave my cell in my truck or on my desk. If I have to carry it... it goes in the pocket. I prefer to be as separated from my cell as possible.

Reactions: CyForPresident

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Far more responses have had valid reasons for using their pocket, though, but you still call it an inferior solution. It's flawed because it categorizes all people who do something into mindless drones who are only doing what society tells them to, which is just not the case.

In the end, who cares if someone else puts their phone in their pocket or in a holster? I may personally think it looks dumb one way or the other, but I'm not going to judge someone or their intellect based off of it.

Wow...you're beating me up while at the same time making my original argument for me. That's a first. :wink:

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
Best cell phone holder ever...
slide_8255_110118_large.jpg

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
In re: using one strap on the backpack in the late 80's/early 90's. That lasted quite a while, because it was going strong a decade earlier. Then the trend went to bags with a shoulder strap -- similar to laptop bags -- and backpacks were kind of outmoded.

Now, if the original thread title wouldn't have had "Fashion Police" in it, many of the posts would fit well. Anyway, fashion police or not, wherever you store and carry your phone is based on your opinion.

Maybe we could have CF cell phone holders in the new store.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I've heard a couple comments recently about how clipping your cell phone to your belt/waist is a fashion faux pas…or even, nerdy.

I'm not real concerned about it myself, but I find it odd in so much as this is a practical way to carry your cell phone. What is the alternative? Women can throw theirs in a purse, but what options do guys have?

I get that sporting a mullet was in style at one time, but now is not. In the end, it is like many things that come and go with the times. But there is no practical reason to continue have to have a mullet hair cut….or wear white pants in December….or white socks with a suit…etc. It is just not fashionable to do so. But in the end attaching your phone to your waist is practical. How else is a guy (not wearing cargo pants/shorts with large/extra pockets) supposed to carry his cell phone?

Front Pocket.....If you are really concerned with how it looks clipped to your belt, it basically depends on what clothes you're wearing. Some clothing can look completely fine with it, and others well..yep, not so much.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
I've heard a couple comments recently about how clipping your cell phone to your belt/waist is a fashion faux pas…or even, nerdy.

I'm not real concerned about it myself, but I find it odd in so much as this is a practical way to carry your cell phone. What is the alternative? Women can throw theirs in a purse, but what options do guys have?

I get that sporting a mullet was in style at one time, but now is not. In the end, it is like many things that come and go with the times. But there is no practical reason to continue have to have a mullet hair cut….or wear white pants in December….or white socks with a suit…etc. It is just not fashionable to do so. But in the end attaching your phone to your waist is practical. How else is a guy (not wearing cargo pants/shorts with large/extra pockets) supposed to carry his cell phone?

This simply isn't true. It keeps the neck warm in the winter and shades the neck from the sun in the summer. Also, a mullet has been known to scare off a silverback gorilla. Thus, your entire argument is flawed.

And for me, phone goes in the right front pocket most of the time. For my work the clip route leads to more broken phones.

If you wear a dress shirt to work, why not put the phone in your shirt pocket? What's impractical about that?

Last edited:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
in your bag, if you carry one, or in your pocket. Unless you are a dork and wear pleated pants, at which time, it doesn't matter what else you do.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This simply isn't true. It keeps the neck warm in the winter and shades the neck from the sun in the summer. Also, a mullet has been known to scare off a silverback gorilla. Thus, your entire argument is flawed.

And for me, phone goes in the right front pocket most of the time. For my work the clip route leads to more broken phones.

If you wear a dress shirt to work, why not put the phone in your shirt pocket? What's impractical about that?

:biglaugh::smile:

Best response to the threat yet, but I do have to ask (as I assume you aren't serious...but want to be sure). Shirt pocket?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I have several problems that lead me to use a clip.
  1. I work in an environment that is sometimes quite noisy and sometimes very quiet, but I need to be able to hear it ring and get to it in a hurry if it rings when it should be quiet.
  2. My cell phone has a poor vibrate feature so I can't always feel it in my pocket (insert vibrator joke here).
  3. I do wear a dress shirt but often have to pitch in with physical work and/or work at height on a catwalk so unsecured items will get dropped and/or can become a safety hazard.
  4. I have to wear a big radio on my belt anyway, so what difference is a little cell phone going to make anyway.
Call me a fashion trainwreck if you must, but I have tried the pocket solution and I can't seem to make it work.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron