Fashion Police: How/where do you carry your cell phone?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I've heard a couple comments recently about how clipping your cell phone to your belt/waist is a fashion faux pas…or even, nerdy.

I'm not real concerned about it myself, but I find it odd in so much as this is a practical way to carry your cell phone. What is the alternative? Women can throw theirs in a purse, but what options do guys have?

I get that sporting a mullet was in style at one time, but now is not. In the end, it is like many things that come and go with the times. But there is no practical reason to continue have to have a mullet hair cut….or wear white pants in December….or white socks with a suit…etc. It is just not fashionable to do so. But in the end attaching your phone to your waist is practical. How else is a guy (not wearing cargo pants/shorts with large/extra pockets) supposed to carry his cell phone?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Pocket, if you clip it to your belt you might as well strap on a fanny pack and throw it in there.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I wear pants or shorts with pockets to accommodate my cell phone, and I have the largest smartphone on the market too the EVO.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Clip it to my belt for work. Could care less that I look like a geek/dork or whatever.

When I'm not working I'll just throw it in a pocket in my cargo shorts. I assume cargo shorts are probably also behind the times.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Unless you're carrying one of these I don't see how it wouldn't fit in your front pocket. Or maybe you wear incredibly tight jeans?

Motorola_Cellular-One_Cell-Phone_web.jpg

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Some people can't wear jeans to work. In addition, I think skinny jeans may be back in.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I take the fashion risk of wearing mostly cargo shorts and pants and always put it in a pocket.

When I'm not wearing those, it usually goes in a front pocket. When I don't have pockets, I generally have to carry around a backpack or bag of some sort and it goes in there.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Front pocket...simple as that.

Blackberry Tour BTW

…and the lump in your front pocket looks better? (spare the obvious joke here) It looks tacky IMO especially if you're wearing nice dress pants (which I do most days for work). Also, how's that comfortable with jeans?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Some people can't wear jeans to work. In addition, I think skinny jeans may be back in.
Fine, but pants of any kind should be able to accommodate a cell phone shouldn't they? Maybe not leather, OP do you wear leather pants a lot?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

…and the lump in your front pocket looks better? (spare the obvious joke here) It looks tacky IMO especially if you're wearing nice dress pants (which I do most days for work). Also, how's that comfortable with jeans?
How big is your phone that you can see a visible lump? We must be talking about a 10 year old Nokia here, maybe that's the confusion.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I carry my wallet in my front pocket along with my personal phone (Palm Pre) my work phone (HTC Incredible) and car keys. Sometimes I get crazy and throw in a chapstick or pen or gum.
Needless to say, no I am not happy to see you, its my personal items.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is seriously so dumb. The only reason why I don't wear the belt clip is my love handles make it uncomfy. Seriously, though - I don't know if there's anything more annoying than the fashion police. If it weren't for my wife, I wouldn't see the problem with wearing my comfortable brown belt with my black shoes. That and I don't get the problem women have with wearing black shoes with a blue suit (women refuse to do it - they "have" to have blue shoes" or why you can't wear white shoes after Labor Day...

:confused:

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I would prefer the clip on at work but when I got the last new phone, and new holster thingie I kept knocking it out and busted up my phone. I just gave up and it goes in my pocket now. I didnt ever sport the holster outside of work, though. I'm not terribly concerned with what the fashionable think. I'm old enough to be out of style cause what I see 'stylish' people wearing I usually think looks ********.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I take the fashion risk of wearing mostly cargo shorts and pants and always put it in a pocket.

When I'm not wearing those, it usually goes in a front pocket. When I don't have pockets, I generally have to carry around a backpack or bag of some sort and it goes in there.

Oh come on, just call it what it is....a murse.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have a belt clip when Im at work. If I leave my phone in my pocket, I end up smashing the face of it on equipment (been done a couple of times). In public, its in my pocket.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The other day I was looking around and I finally realized that I am getting old.

#1 No tattoo's. Everyone under 30 now seems to have a tat.

#2 I still wear a watch

#3 I usually wear a belt

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If it weren't for my wife, I wouldn't see the problem with wearing my comfortable brown belt with my black shoes.
Well if you did that it'd be obvious as to why you didn't have the wife.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd like to get a poll going on the instances of people wearing belt clips also wearing socks with sandals. I think it'd be unreasonably high.

Reactions: CloneIce