Fashion Police: How/where do you carry your cell phone?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well, Jack Bauer carried a man purse (or insert your preferred term here) and he used a cell phone. Where did he carry his?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, Jack Bauer carried a man purse (or insert your preferred term here) and he used a cell phone. Where did he carry his?

Yeah, well, Jack Bauer kept several loaded weapons and several spare cartridges to reload with in that manpurse. When you start doing that, then it's okay to carry a manpurse...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yeah, well, Jack Bauer kept several loaded weapons and several spare cartridges to reload with in that manpurse. When you start doing that, then it's okay to carry a manpurse...
Boy did they get pissy when I walked into the courthouse like that. :confused:

Keys, change, iPod, etc. in front left, phone in front right, wallet in back right until I get to my desk. Keys and wallet will go to a drawer, iPod and phone sit on my desk all day. I'll leave change in my pocket.

Note: Wear dress pants every day at work. Flat front, not that pleated crap. :wink:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I see confusion, I mean like the pic below. Not a wallet or just a little money clip. A money clip/wallet (self named)
Then people can easily see how little money I have though, a wallet can give the illusion that it's not empty.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I would think it would be more of a strike against your man card if you actually cared how someone carried their cell phone.

I see where you're coming from, but for those of us that are curious by nature (and not necessary "worried" about the answer we'll receive), this an interesting topic..not as a means to redefine how we carry our cell phone but rather, how did we get where we are today. (yeah….I know…deep ****!) :biggrin:

Many of us have been where many of today's "kids" are on acceptable fashion trends. This one is particularly interesting to me because you basically forgo a practical option for the sake of cultural acceptance. For example, for those on this forum that attended ISU in the late 80's/early 90's and used backpacks, it was basically taboo to carry your backpack using both straps. Literally (and ask anyone who was on campus during those days and they'll tell you), you didn't use both straps on your backpack. Period. Yes….I know everyone does use both straps today and it doesn't make sense to only use one, but you were basically a nerd (or forgiven as being an International student) if you did back in those days.

Just like the cell phone question I posed. It isn't about practical, it is about what the masses say is cool/acceptable for the time. There still is no practical reason why you wouldn't wear a clip/holder…I was just looking for the superior alternative (which there obviously is none.)

Nothing on this thread gives me any reason to thing the cell phone clip is any different than the one-strap backpack reasoning of the late 1980's.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Attack the person, instead of addressing the topic. Impressive.....especially on something that should be a light-hearted topic.
I thought making fun of your tight pants was fairly light hearted? Unless you're really insecure about them but I don't know how I could know that.

B.L.

Nov 28, 2006
wear it on the belt with a clip, and a fanny pack than on the other side wear that holster with you pliers in it then you have everything covered. Just put it your pocket.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
wear it on the belt with a clip, and a fanny pack than on the other side wear that holster with you pliers in it then you have everything covered. Just put it your pocket.

Also, the belt should say your name on the back.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
My old sea hag observation from this thread is that if you believe it's not okay to have your cell phone on your belt, you probably also believe it's okay to show up at a job interview wearing an untucked shirt and maybe even jeans because that's what is featured in whatever passes for fashion today. (I'm not talking about an interview for a summer job mowing parks, this is for a career position requiring a college degree.) Whereas in my generation it is not 'cool' to show up at a job interview with me, wearing clothes that you apparently slept in, but thank goodness (!) you don't have your cell phone on your belt.
:parghh:
The one versus 2-strap analogy presented a few posts ago is dead-on right. It's all about what generation you fall into. At some point in time I hope you reach the age where life isn't about what everyone else does/thinks and it becomes what's right for you.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I see where you're coming from, but for those of us that are curious by nature (and not necessary "worried" about the answer we'll receive), this an interesting topic..not as a means to redefine how we carry our cell phone but rather, how did we get where we are today. (yeah….I know…deep ****!) :biggrin:

Many of us have been where many of today's "kids" are on acceptable fashion trends. This one is particularly interesting to me because you basically forgo a practical option for the sake of cultural acceptance. For example, for those on this forum that attended ISU in the late 80's/early 90's and used backpacks, it was basically taboo to carry your backpack using both straps. Literally (and ask anyone who was on campus during those days and they'll tell you), you didn't use both straps on your backpack. Period. Yes….I know everyone does use both straps today and it doesn't make sense to only use one, but you were basically a nerd (or forgiven as being an International student) if you did back in those days.

Just like the cell phone question I posed. It isn't about practical, it is about what the masses say is cool/acceptable for the time. There still is no practical reason why you wouldn't wear a clip/holder…I was just looking for the superior alternative (which there obviously is none.)

Nothing on this thread gives me any reason to thing the cell phone clip is any different than the one-strap backpack reasoning of the late 1980's.

That's an interesting point you bring up. By the way, I am still one-strapping it to this day on the rare occasions where I have a back pack. I was a little younger than you but in Western Iowa it takes that long to catch up with a fad.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron