ESPN's coverage of the game...

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Anybody think it was absolutely horrible? The camera men looked lost the 1st half. We had Pam Ward as the play by play person. They had no angle on the reviewed play. ESPN gave us there like G-team I think.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
How many times did they keep it on Tate or Meyer after they threw it? Follow the ball!!!

rlegg928

Apr 11, 2006
Troy, NY
Haha, I was watching with my girlfriend who is also an engineer and in the first quarter she was saying how nice it was to hear a female in the booth at ESPN broadcasting a nationally televised game...

By the end of the third quarter she was swearing at the TV complaining how bad the announcers were. How they only knew 4 players and they were so freaking behind the game and the ball.

One good comment from them was that Meyer is "one of the top passers in the nation, he has such great touch" (then we immediately went three and out...I hate it when they jinx us)

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
That Mike Godfreid guy sounded like he was literally drunk the entire time.

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
If I had to hear "Seperation Saturday" one more time I was going to throw something at the TV. ESPN is the most self-loving network. I do enjoy games done by Mike Gottfried even though he is a big SEC guy. They should put him with Ron Franklin again.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I agree, Helgo - thought the old guy had been tailgating a bit too long before. How many times did he mispronounce Chandler's name?!?

And what the hell does Separation Sunday even MEAN???

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree with you all on Gottfried, his inability to pronounce names were annoying.
The camera work was highschool.

As for Pam Ward, I really didn't mind her. Does she get an A grade?, no but she wasn't terrible. However, the pairing of her with Gottfried was terrible. Their voices clashed, and together they were 'droopy', not much exctiment coming from this duo.

Oh well, onto to Texas....

hilbs31

Apr 1, 2006
mharder, are you in California? Just wondering because I had the directv issue also. I went from my house, to an aggravated phone call to directv, to a phone call to ESPN programming (all recorded message of course), to a restaurant bar (directv only), to a dive bar with cable, to a phone call from my wife telling me they finally put the game on. By the time I got home, the 1st quarter was over.

Does anyone have an explanation why Directv would block the game in Chicago for almost a quarter? I was pissed.

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
I am in CA. I was friggin' pissed. It seems to happen a lot for our games, b-ball and f-ball. I called DIRECTV, and by the time I spoke with a person the game returned.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
mharder, are you in California? Just wondering because I had the directv issue also. I went from my house, to an aggravated phone call to directv, to a phone call to ESPN programming (all recorded message of course), to a restaurant bar (directv only), to a dive bar with cable, to a phone call from my wife telling me they finally put the game on. By the time I got home, the 1st quarter was over.

Does anyone have an explanation why Directv would block the game in Chicago for almost a quarter? I was pissed.

Friend of mine has DirecTV and had the same issue...he lives in DSM and it was blocked for the entire first half.

Had DirecTV until yesterday - we moved into an apartment for the time being while our new house is being finished - so we have Mediacom for a while. For today, I was very glad to have Mediacom.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Interviewing Klinkenborg at the end of the game was just sickening. He's crying, barely able to talk coming off the field, but, hey, ESPN needed their emotion shot. Get that freakin helmet off his head.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Interviewing Klinkenborg at the end of the game was just sickening. He's crying, barely able to talk coming off the field, but, hey, ESPN needed their emotion shot. Get that freakin helmet off his head.

I thought the same thing, leave the kid alone. I'll admit, he played a solid game especially considering his situation.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Agree totally, CrossCyed. Not only do they mention it 18 times throughout the game (I'm sure he'll love hearing that each time if he watches it at home), but they shove a mic in his face to drain every last ounce of emotion. Classy. I had to give him credit for some great tackles...

Anyone heard if Parker's up and about? That hit was awful.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
What I was most pissed about was the lack of replays by ESPN. There were plenty of questionable plays...catches, drops, etc. that I wanted to see replays of. But usually they were too busy playing up Klinkenborg's story (yes, saddening, but I want to see the freaking GAME).

Drew21

May 13, 2006
I thought it was funny when they gave Klinkenborg player of the game just because his father died. He only had eight tackles. Its sad but give it to someone who deserves it.

WLCY

Mar 24, 2006
West Liberty, IA
Did anyone catch where the lady kept saying that Mac came to ISU from Iowa. They didn't have very good facts on either team. These commetators were the worst I have every seen on ESPN.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron