Embarrassing question

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I"ve always wanted to learn how to shoot. I will not go with anyone who has not been shooting for more than 5 years on a regular basis. It scares the **** out of me, so I want someone who can make me feel comfortable and safe.

One of my friend's dads offered to help me, but he is in Sioux City, so I am on hold for now.

Maybe I need to start a women's shooting club! ;)

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I"ve always wanted to learn how to shoot. I will not go with anyone who has not been shooting for more than 5 years on a regular basis. It scares the **** out of me, so I want someone who can make me feel comfortable and safe.

One of my friend's dads offered to help me, but he is in Sioux City, so I am on hold for now.

Maybe I need to start a women's shooting club! ;)

This is a great idea. Women tend to make better shooters than men. I think the male ego has a bunch to do with itl.

At first, when I started shooting, MrsPhaedrus was much better than me, even though I'd almost literally been born with a .22 in my hand.

After people get done being scared of it, it's fun. And everyone I know, myself included, is at least a little bit scared of it. (I've shot a gazillion rounds, and when I haven't shot for awhile, it takes me a few shots to "settle down".)

Which is one reason why I like to recommend that everyone should at least try it. I believe that there is an inherent good to learning to overcome this fear. It builds confidence and makes you stronger.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is a great idea. Women tend to make better shooters than men. I think the male ego has a bunch to do with itl.

At first, when I started shooting, MrsPhaedrus was much better than me, even though I'd almost literally been born with a .22 in my hand.

After people get done being scared of it, it's fun. And everyone I know, myself included, is at least a little bit scared of it. (I've shot a gazillion rounds, and when I haven't shot for awhile, it takes me a few shots to "settle down".)

Which is one reason why I like to recommend that everyone should at least try it. I believe that there is an inherent good to learning to overcome this fear. It builds confidence and makes you stronger.

Some that fear is probably a healthy respect for the power of the weapon, which is definitely a good thing.

I always felt that way at qualification time, since I really don't do a lot of shooting during the year. I'd be fine for the qual range, but the first couple/few rounds were necessary for settling into the routine again.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
just ask a friend to take you out to the country and shoot clay pidgeons or somethin

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
just ask a friend to take you out to the country and shoot clay pidgeons or somethin

I think going shooting for the first time with someone you have emotional ties to, is a mistake. For some reason, it's easier to learn from a stranger than a friend.

A stranger can tell you things in a way a friend won't/can't and the emotional loading is different.

Plus, not many people have friends who are experienced firearms instructors. Which is what everyone should have the first time out imo.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think going shooting for the first time with someone you have emotional ties to, is a mistake. For some reason, it's easier to learn from a stranger than a friend.

A stranger can tell you things in a way a friend won't/can't and the emotional loading is different.

Plus, not many people have friends who are experienced firearms instructors. Which is what everyone should have the first time out imo.

I'll agree 100%.

The best tips I ever got came from someone I didn't really like at all, but his advice was real solid, and turned my shooting around completely.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

I have the same philosophy when it comes to women. :yes:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron