[Eli Sanders Added] 2021 Class Breakdown

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
INTRO

It was requested by members that I create a thread to breakdown the 2021 recruiting class and include my analysis and other information.

I will post all the information in this first post. I will add to it when there is a new commit or when I have more information to provide. I will notify of changes to the first post by making a post and including the information added/changed. Let me know if you disagree with any of my information.

I won't be given a traditional star rating. I'll instead include when we could see them get significant playing time and attributes about them (Let me know if you need clarification or if I need to add anything)

ATTRIBUTE LIST

[Speedster] - denotes a player that is very fast
[WHOOP!] - denotes a player with excellent agility and the ability to juke. Think Chris Berman
[Raw] - denotes a player lacking technique and/or physique but has high potential.
[Freak] - denote a player whose athleticism almost defies physics
[Motor] - denotes a player that never gives up on a play
[Leader] - denotes a player is a natural born leader
[Jack of all trades] - denotes a player can do everything at their position (Breece Hall)
[Ball Hawk] - denotes a player can snatch the ball. This applies for both offense and defense.
[Lockdown] - a defensive back who can take a receiver out of the play
[Technician] - denotes a player has elite technique for highschool
[20/20] - denotes a player has great vision
[Downhill] - denotes a offensive player who runs with ferocity
[Ram] - denotes a player is a hard hitter
[Stretch] - denotes a player is tall for his position
[Rover] - denotes a defensive play that can cover the entire field
[Playmaker] - denotes a player who can make spectacular plays. He'll often make you say "How did he do that?"

NCAA FOOTBALL 14 RATINGS

It would probably be safe to assume that most guys in their 20's that follow CF still play NCAA football 14. I still do... about everyday. The NCAA Football games use a rating system of 0-100 for every detail of the players ability as well as overall rating. Here is a video that explains Madden Rating (which are the same as NCAA Football):

I will be giving each player a Freshman rating and Potential Rating. The Freshman Rating is the rating that the player would have if they were put in the game today. The Potential Rating is what I think they could be rated once they are a senior. Note: Potential is not what I think they WILL be, it's what I think the ceiling of what they could be.

NCAA Football games would rate their freshman players according to the star ratings.
61 below = 2 star
62-69 = 3 star caliber
70-77 = 4 star caliber
78-81 = 5 star caliber

Potential
80+ = Role Player
85+ = Starter for P5
90+ = All-Conference
95+ = All-American
98+ = Heisman

Notes: the above ranges are what NCAA Football would use to rate their players. Obviously, teams like Akron may not have anyone above 80 and BAMA may have 50 players over 85. It's just a scale for reference of their ability.
I will not be rating all 3 stars between 62 and 69. Some may be above and some below. Again, it's just for reference.

PLAYERS

Quarterbacks

Running Backs

For Eli Sanders: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...21-class-breakdown.256034/page-4#post-7540494

Name: Deon Silas
Position: RB, Slot, KR/PR
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 170lb
Other Measurables: 11.0s 100 meter dash verified
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 68
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 91
Player Comparison: Jarvis West, Dalvin Cook
Significant Impact: Depending on how he is used, I could see him getting significant playing time his RS FR year after Johnnie leaves. Since he is a RB/Slot/Returner guy, I could see him used as a gadget guy. Think De'Anthony Thomas at Oregon his freshman year. He was the THIRD stringer and he was on Heisman lists the summer leading into his sophomore year. Deon is about the same size and has very good agility (DAT had HOF agility). If they don't use him in that respect, he will be the return man for 4 years and look for RB playing time his RS SO or RS JR year.
Attributes: [Speedster] [WHOOP!] [20/20] [Downhill]
Areas of Improvement: He's tiny. He will need some time in the weight room if he wants to be used as the feature back.
Thoughts: I love this guy; Campbell does, too. He is a human highlight reel. He was a top target for the Cyclones. Campbell will need to get him on the field and give him the ball.

Wide Receiver

Name: Tristan Michaud
Position: WR
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 200lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 88
Player Comparison: Brandon Marshall
Significant Impact: WR is CROWDED. I see RS JR season will be his opportunity to break out.
Attributes: [Raw] [Stretch]
Areas of Improvement: Speed and everything about his game
Thoughts: Whoever did the camera work for his highlight tape should be fired. It's really difficult to get a gage on this guy because some of the plays I can barely see. Anyway...
I think he is incredibly raw, but has the size and decent athleticism to be a P5 receiver.
He's from Canada also.

Name: Jaylin Noel
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 175lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Josh Lenz
Significant Impact: RS SO will fight to be a starter. Will get playing time RS FR
Attributes: [Speedster] [Leader] [Technician]
Areas of Improvement: 15 pounds of muscle and a bit more WOW factor.
Thoughts: It's pronounced "Nole" not "No El". I LOOOOVE this guy. His game is cleaner than a brand new Lexus. Very polished. He has great burst and long speed. Hard to find very many flaws in his game; his routes are crisp and his catching technique is textbook. Not necessarily a draw back, but he doesn't excel at one particular thing or have something that makes him stand out. He's not lightning fast, he's not big, he's not flashy. He will be a good player and I think he will be playing on Sundays.

Tight End

Name:
Tyler Moore
Position: TE
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 245 lbs
Other Measurables: 4.7s 40yd down from 5.2s
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 93
Player Comparison: George Kittle *hides*
Significant Impact: RS So. This is due to depth in the TE room. We have some studs in that room and unless we run 4 TE sets (please Campbell), I doubt we see him much until RS So year.
Attributes: [Stretch] [Freak] [Motor] [Speedster]
Areas of Improvement:
Blocking. He’s never been on the line with his hand in the dirt, so he needs to learn how to block.
Thoughts:
I wanted to wait on Tyler until I saw him Senior Year as a TE; He worked at MOVEWELL and he played WR as a Junior. I must say Wow! We found a gem in state that Hok didn’t want.
I worried about Tyler’s speed and his size when I saw his junior tape. He looked sluggish pretty underwhelming as a receiver. After his transformation in the offseason, he looks like an NFL TE. He’s the fastest and the biggest player on the field and is total mismatch against Iowa HS safeties. I really like him and he has a chance to be a part of a long line of ISU TE glory.

Offensive Line

Name:
Dodge Sauser
Position: OG
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 270lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 87
Player Comparison:
Significant Impact:
It is hard for a OLineman to find playing time early unless they come significantly better than other lineman on the roster. The realisitic expectation for Sauser to make a significant impact is his RS JR year. He needs a year or two in the weightroom and to refine his skills.
Attributes: [Leader] [Motor]
Areas of Improvement: He needs to eat and get in the weight room.
Thoughts: Dodge was something like 230 lbs as a Sophomore. ISU told him to gain weight, show he can still move and he'll get an offer. He got an offer and was our second commit of the class. He is also a HUGE leader for this class and is leading the charge on the recruiting trail.

Name: Jim Bonifas
Position: OT
Weight: 255lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 85
Player Comparison:
Significant Impact:
RS JR
Attributes:
Areas of Improvement:
Jim will really benefit from a few offseasons with the program. He needs to eat and get in the weight room. He also needs to work on his toughness and physicality. With a name like "Jim Bonifas", he needs to want to punch people in the mouth every play.
Thoughts: I stink at rating OL recruits. You can only tell how effective a OL player is through watching extensive tape and how he performs against top competition. I didn't get to see that with Bonifas. However, his tape lacks the typical number of pancake blocks that most OL recruits have. That concerns me a bit. A D1 recruit should make easy work of most of his competition in Iowa. However, he does have the frame and the athleticism to add an extra 50 lbs of meat and still be effective as a tackle.

Last edited:

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
First. Nice.
I like "Whoop".
I would suggest adding "Gamer"...as in a player that has great game winning instincts, situational awareness, and intuitive knowledge and won't let that get over-coached out of him. e.g. sliding short at 3 yards when it is 3rd and 4.

Reactions: cyclone4L

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Defensive Tackle

Name: Howard Brown
Position: DT
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 302lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 93
Player Comparison: Timmy Jernigan
Significant Impact: RS FR. He's a monster. He fits the mold that Singleton is.
Attributes: [Jack of All Trades] [Freak] [Raw]
One Word: Thicccc
Areas of Improvement: Just needs a bit more experience at the position to polish. Needs to work on his motor; however, that may be a result of the defense finishing the play.
Thoughts: Lordy, how did we find him? I guess you could say that about a lot of these guys.
I put 302lb exactly as his weight because he does not have a pound of bad weight on him. He can stuff the run and rush the pass very well with raw athleticism. Fun fact: he plays qb for his highschool. Check out those highlights.

Name: Tyler Onyedim
Position: DT/DE
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 280 lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Jonathan Allen
Significant Impact: RS SO. He will need some time to improve technique until he's ready to go. However, after a few years in training, he'll be ready to contribute
Attributes: [Raw] [Motor] [Ram]
One word: Multiple
Areas of Improvement: He will need to get up to 305. He's very raw and will need to refine his pass rushing and tackling technique to compete against Big 12 competition
Thoughts: Thicker than a snickers and nastier than an Iowa 1A farmboy, effort will not be an issue with him. He has the ability to play any DL, but will probably be DT since speed is limited. Like Brown, he doesn't carry much bad weight, but he will need a lot polishing before he can get playing time.

Defensive End

Name:
Jayden Gray
Position: DE
Weight: 235 lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Corey Suttle
Significant Impact: RS JR, we have a lot of depth at DE and I think it will be a crowded room for years to come.
Attributes: [Raw][Motor]
One word: underrated
Areas of Improvement: For a high school prospect, he has a good motor, strength and quickness. His mechanics is the main area he will need to focus on for him to see the field. With how he plays now, he could definitely beat a few blocks a game based on shear effort and strength; however, 9 times out of 10, his unpolished will lose him the battle.
Thoughts: ISU poached a very good DE prospect after missing out on Bollers. He's comparable with the same size, strength and athleticism as Bollers. Gray has a good frame, but his motor is the best aspect of his game. This staff doesn't usually poach players committed to other schools unless they see them as excellent prospects; that should be an indicator of how good they believe Gray can be.

Name: Joey Petersen
Position: DE
Weight: 220 lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Zach Petersen
Significant Impact: RS So, we have a lot of depth at DE and I think it will be a crowded room for years to come. However, Joey Petersen has the strength and toughness to play his third year. You can expect him to be on special teams early.
Attributes: [Raw][Motor][Ram]
One word: Brother
Areas of Improvement: Joey is coming into ISU with a very similar style and projection as his brother. He needs to work on his pass rush ability; his technique, moves, quickness... everything. His brother is not an effective pass rusher and can't disengage from the blocker. That will be a problem.
Thoughts: Joey is the spitting image of his brother. When he committed, a lot of people asked if he was a PWO. He is not. I admit, I was a bit concerned by his Junior film. There was certainly flashes of ability, but there wasn't many jaw dropping plays and that always concerns me. However, I watched his last couple of games this year. His play dictates the effectiveness of the opponent's offense. In the State Championship against Harlan, he discombobulated the quarterback and was directly responsible for 3 picks and he definitely played a hand in the kid's other 4 picks. He bullied the tackles of the other team. He was just so much stronger and physical. It was fun to watch.
I think Joey will be very similar to his brother; a great frame with a motor, strength and toughness. He'll never be a finesse guy. I think his rating on the recruiting sites deserves to be increased.

Linebacker

Name:
Aidan Ralph
Position: MLB
Weight: 195 lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 89
Player Comparison: Kiko Alonso
Significant Impact: RS SO. Rose and Vance will need to leave before Ralph has a chance to make a significant impact. I'm unsure where Aric Horne will play and I bet Hunter Zenzen will play MLB. There will be a lot of guys to try for PT, but Ralph has the skill set to contribute; he'll need improve his speed and strength though.
Attributes: [Stretch] [Rover] [Raw]
One Word: WIngspan
Areas of Improvement: He needs to eat and get in the weight room. His playing weight will need to be about 220lb before he sees the field. Pass coverage.
Thoughts: I think he plays middle linebacker out of what I have seen from the LBs we have committed. I really like his ability to defend the run at the line of scrimmage no matter where it is. He has plenty to work on and plenty of time to do it. I like him and think he will be solid for the Cyclones. He's a guy I will need to see the senior tape to see just how good he can be.

Name: Carston Marshall
Position: OLB
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: KJ Wright
Significant Impact: RS SO. Carston Marshall is the prototypical ISU linebacker that we will see from now on: Long, athletic and the ability to play in space. His impact will come once the 2 deep starts to graduate. He is solid athletically, could play RSFR year; however, I think it might take him some time to learn the game.
Attributes: [Stretch] [Rover] [Raw]
One Word: Hybrid
Areas of Improvement: He needs to eat and get in the weight room. His playing weight will need to be about 220lb before he sees the field. He also needs to learn to not miss tackles.
Thoughts: I have watched a couple of his games. The way his team plays him is VERY strange. They use him on the strong side to set the edge and push the play back to the middle. It makes sense in theory, but it kinda confuses him sometimes. He will not be playing that way for ISU, that is the safeties job.
I know people rave about him, but I think I am going to be a bit reserved to wait and see for Marshall. I think he will be a good player for the clones; however, it may take some time for the game to click for him. I am excited to see him once it does.

Name: Myles Mendeszoon
Position: OLB
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Za'Darius Smith
Significant Impact: RS SO.
Attributes: [Stretch] [Rover] [Raw][Motor]
One Word: Motor
Areas of Improvement: He needs to eat and get in the weight room. His playing weight will need to be about 235lb before he sees the field. Needs to learn to play in pass coverage (was a DE in high school).
Thoughts: When Mendeszoon committed, a lot of fans were upset and thought he may be a waste of a scholarship (look up his commitment thread). Since then, he has grown on the recruiting nuts and with a strong senior season, Cyclone fans have gotten pretty excited about him.
Why are fans excited? He has a great motor and has very strong pursuit skills. Will he make the flashy plays? who knows, but he is going to make the right play most of the time. He's a sure tackler and has a GREAT frame for the linebackers we are trying to bring in to ISU. His rating is lowered due to not playing in coverage. I think ISU has 3 very solid, underrated linebackers in this class with great frames and pursuit ability.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Safety

Name:
Beau Freyler
Position: SS
Height: 6'2"
Other Measurables: 4.4 40
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 69
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 92
Player Comparison: Harrison Smith
Significant Impact: RS FR. Safety is a spot that ISU is still trying to build the depth. Beau, Isheem Young and Craig MacDonald will be called upon early in their careers to make plays.
Attributes: [Ball Hawk] [Playmaker] [Stretch] [Rover]
One Word:
Effiencient
Areas of Improvement: Another guy with the athleticism and technique to play early. The ONLY knock on him I see is he doesn't lay the lumber. It's not a huge problem and won't keep him off the field if all other areas check out, but his presence isn't intimidating like a Mark Barron, Kam Chancellor or Taylor Mays.
Thoughts: I'll admit, I thought when Wisconsin offered that he would end up going there. He is EXACTLY what Wisconsin looks for in their safeties. Looked like a match made in Heaven.
Welp, it's a new era, boys. We are landing the dudes that other programs want. His speed and pursuit are what I love about this guy.
At the time of writing this, he is a low three star. THAT IS GOING TO CHANGE. He could be pushing 4 star come signing day. I'm really excited about this guy. You should be, too.
Junior Year was his first year of High School football, He was super impressive.

Name: Malik Verdon
Position: SS
Weight: 205 lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Jayron Kearse
Significant Impact: RS So. I see him getting some playing his four games his first year, getting a little play time and special teams his RSFR year and fully in the rotation his RS So year.
Attributes: [Rover][Ram][Stretch][Jack-of-All-Trades]
One Word:
Potential
Areas of Improvement: He needs to get up to 220lb; he is a thin 205lb and could be very deadly at 220. For him, there is no glaring weakness in his game, he just needs to polish everything.
Thoughts: Get use to Campbell & Co. recruiting super tall safeties like this. Wanna know who else has a 6'4" safety that is starting? Notre Dame, and that dude is incredible. Verdon played nearly every position on the football field that is not in the trenches. He can play up to the line like a linebacker and can cover like a DB. He is very athletic and he will carry a WOW! factor with him when he plays.
His position will be safety, but I will not be surprised if Heacock send him on blitzes on occasion. Landing him, the 4th safety in our class, makes me VERY excited for that position moving forward.

Cornerback

Name:
Myles Purchase
Position: CB
Height: 5’10"
Weight: 170 lb
Other Measurables: 21.5 MPH clocked speed
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 94
Player Comparison: Jabrill Peppers
Significant Impact: RS FR. I could see him playing next year. He’s that good, but he has guys ahead of him.
Attributes: [RAM] [Speedster] [FREAK] [Ball Hawk] [Lockdown] [Playmaker] [Rover]
One Word:
Special
Areas of Improvement: Really... he just needs to clean up his technique a bit.
Thoughts: Believe me when I tell you, I have watched hundreds of highlight tapes for cornerback ISU recruits. I do not remember watching any recruit that is could cover, hit, create turnovers and score touchdowns like this guy can.
You may ask, “well, can’t it just be that he putsup great highlights but may get burned sometimes?” Yes, that’s always a possibility; however, I have watched some of his games this year.
He is an island; complete lockdown cornerback. The other CB on the team is committed to Wisconsin. Opposing QBs Target his receivers WAY MORE than they target Purchase’s. For good reason, too; they are well covered by Purchase. When they do get throw to, Purchase bats the ball or intercepts it. He is insanely good.
Highschool player of the year in Colorado
He will also be one of the fastest players on the team. He hits very hard.
He is a Punt Return machine. Multiple return touchdowns and averages 90 yards/game in punt return yards; that’s crazy high.
I highly recommend watching his highlights.
I love this pickup; may be my favorite.

Last edited:

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I was thinking about adding something like that. It's tough because I will have to watch entire games to get that "Situational Awareness". I'll think about it.

Gamer: defensive back that has enough situational awareness to cover a receiver on 3rd and 12 when the said receiver gets to the 12-yard-from-scrimmage point to make a play despite what over-coached defensive scheme has distracted him from doing otherwise.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
A couple of thoughts.

One, when a player tells you that they run a speed, or are a certain height, please don't accept that as a given unless it's document. Yes, I know that "the 10.8's" is what Deon Silas said that he ran. However, unless a time is verifiable--if he ran that time in a very early Florida track meet--it is generally not reliable for objective comparison. Sure, he might have been running in the 10.8's in practice...hand timed by his coaches.

Which is definitely not the standard used for comparison. For evaluation, you have to use documented times. I'd be curious to see if the times he claimed were in an official meet I haven't seen documented. And I'll definitely ey be interested to see what times he puts up his senior year. If anything, please mark that as a "claimed" time.

On a similar note, even our coaches don't rely on claimed heights until they can at least stand next to a player, let alone get them onto campus for a visit and actually do their own measurements. That's also why 247 and Rivals make measuring kids at their camps an important part of the process.

Two, I don't think Deon expects to ever be the featured back. A change of pace guy, line up in the slot, punt and kickoff returns, yes. He's there to provide some spice, present some personnel and matchup problems.

Three, I'd add as an attribute for Dodge Sauser as "very quick feet", something he and Bonifas seem to share.

Just my thoughts. And thanks for your efforts!

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
A couple of thoughts.

One, when a player tells you that they run a speed, or are a certain height, please don't accept that as a given unless it's document. Yes, I know that "the 10.8's" is what Deon Silas said that he ran. However, unless a time is verifiable--if he ran that time in a very early Florida track meet--it is generally not reliable for objective comparison. Sure, he might have been running in the 10.8's in practice...hand timed by his coaches.

Which is definitely not the standard used for comparison. For evaluation, you have to use documented times. I'd be curious to see if the times he claimed were in an official meet I haven't seen documented. And I'll definitely ey be interested to see what times he puts up his senior year. If anything, please mark that as a "claimed" time.

On a similar note, even our coaches don't rely on claimed heights until they can at least stand next to a player, let alone get them onto campus for a visit and actually do their own measurements. That's also why 247 and Rivals make measuring kids at their camps an important part of the process.

Two, I don't think Deon expects to ever be the featured back. A change of pace guy, line up in the slot, punt and kickoff returns, yes. He's there to provide some spice, present some personnel and matchup problems.

Three, I'd add as an attribute for Dodge Sauser as "very quick feet", something he and Bonifas seem to share.

Just my thoughts. And thanks for your efforts!
Says who?

Reactions: isutrevman

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I for one am still following this quite intently
Thank you!

I am definitely realizing some things as I break down this class. The first thing (and most important things) is not to worry about the star rating of guy when he commits. Obviously, the star rating is the easiest indicator of talent; it's why these sites are popular. However, 247sports (the one I trust) can't always give accurate ratings the first go around. There are so many recruits they have to rate, and they are going off who limited information about which school is recruiting who. Some of the guys they had never even heard of (like Carston Marshall). If a guy commits that they have never heard of, they watch his tape and quickly slap on a rating. They don't want any guys that are committed to a school to be unrated.

But, there is hope for the guys who initially got a two star rating. 247sports puts a priority on evaluating the recruits that are committed, especially to power 5 schools. They want those ratings to be as accurate as possible. Since Myles Mendeszoon was unrated (an unknown) when he committed, 247 probably watched his tape once and tried to find a little else about him and then quickly put a rating on him. Over the season, they will review his tape indepth and give him a more accurate rating.

So don't worry about the stars now.... especially since I am making this thread.

This class is a class for the future. A lot of these guys will need at least a year in the weight room and a year to learn football to be a contributor on the field. LUCKILY, we had very solid depth at every position, we can afford to take guys who need to be coached up. The future is bright.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
INTRO

It was requested by members that I create a thread to breakdown the 2021 recruiting class and include my analysis and other information.

I will post all the information in this first post. I will add to it when there is a new commit or when I have more information to provide. I will notify of changes to the first post by making a post and including the information added/changed. Let me know if you disagree with any of my information.

I won't be given a traditional star rating. I'll instead include when we could see them get significant playing time and attributes about them (Let me know if you need clarification or if I need to add anything)

ATTRIBUTE LIST

[Speedster] - denotes a player that is very fast
[WHOOP!] - denotes a player with excellent agility and the ability to juke. Think Chris Berman
[Raw] - denotes a player lacking technique and/or physique but has high potential.
[Freak] - denote a player whose athleticism almost defies physics
[Motor] - denotes a player that never gives up on a play
[Leader] - denotes a player is a natural born leader
[Jack of all trades] - denotes a player can do everything at their position (Breece Hall)
[Ball Hawk] - denotes a player can snatch the ball. This applies for both offense and defense.
[Lockdown] - a defensive back who can take a receiver out of the play
[Technician] - denotes a player has elite technique for highschool
[20/20] - denotes a player has great vision
[Downhill] - denotes a offensive player who runs with ferocity
[Ram] - denotes a player is a hard hitter
[Stretch] - denotes a player is tall for his position
[Rover] - denotes a defensive play that can cover the entire field
[Playmaker] - denotes a player who can make spectacular plays. He'll often make you say "How did he do that?"

NCAA FOOTBALL 14 RATINGS

It would probably be safe to assume that most guys in their 20's that follow CF still play NCAA football 14. I still do... about everyday. The NCAA Football games use a rating system of 0-100 for every detail of the players ability as well as overall rating. Here is a video that explains Madden Rating (which are the same as NCAA Football):

I will be giving each player a Freshman rating and Potential Rating. The Freshman Rating is the rating that the player would have if they were put in the game today. The Potential Rating is what I think they could be rated once they are a senior. Note: Potential is not what I think they WILL be, it's what I think the ceiling of what they could be.

NCAA Football games would rate their freshman players according to the star ratings.
61 below = 2 star
62-69 = 3 star caliber
70-77 = 4 star caliber
78-81 = 5 star caliber

Potential
80+ = Role Player
85+ = Starter for P5
90+ = All-Conference
95+ = All-American
98+ = Heisman

Notes: the above ranges are what NCAA Football would use to rate their players. Obviously, teams like Akron may not have anyone above 80 and BAMA may have 50 players over 85. It's just a scale for reference of their ability.
I will not be rating all 3 stars between 62 and 69. Some may be above and some below. Again, it's just for reference.

PLAYERS

Quarterbacks

Name: Charles Wright
Position: QB
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 194lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 97
Player Comparison: Brock Purdy
Significant Impact: Hopefully we will have to wait a bit to see him. I think he will be a good quarterback for us, but with Bouman and Dekkers, I would hope of those guys would step up before him (We all know Purdy would still be on the bench if Noland could play a lick). I'mma put RS JR year; however, who knows with QBs.
Attributes: [20/20] [Leader] [Playmaker]
Areas of Improvement: Arm Strength. Throwing off his back foot.
Thoughts: This staff (much like a lot of college staffs) tries to find a player that fits a mold for to match the scheme they run. There is a running for the "Mike Rose" mold and I'm guessing we will see a "Sean Shaw" mold start to become popular since we now recruit a lot of 6'6" receivers who pride themselves on route running and not straight line speed. Heck, Nick Saban basically built a factory that made clones before BAMA had a top 5 QB; BIG powerful running backs for a run heavy offense and a defense that has always had plug-and-play players.
From the pump fakes to the roll outs to the pin point accuracy, Wright is a Purdy Clone. That is why his NCAA Football potential is so high. He could be another Brock Purdy.
Don't get distracted by the High School record; his team is average and they play in one of the toughest conferences in Texas.

Running Backs

Name:
Deon Silas
Position: RB, Slot, KR/PR
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 170lb
Other Measurables: 11.0s 100 meter dash verified
Player Comparison: Jarvis West, Dalvin Cook
Significant Impact: Depending on how he is used, I could see him getting significant playing time his RS FR year after Johnnie leaves. Since he is a RB/Slot/Returner guy, I could see him used as a gadget guy. Think De'Anthony Thomas at Oregon his freshman year. He was the THIRD stringer and he was on Heisman lists the summer leading into his sophomore year. Deon is about the same size and has very good agility (DAT had HOF agility). If they don't use him in that respect, he will be the return man for 4 years and look for RB playing time his RS SO or RS JR year.
Attributes: [Speedster] [WHOOP!] [20/20] [Downhill]
Areas of Improvement: He's tiny. He will need some time in the weight room if he wants to be used as the feature back.
Thoughts: I love this guy; Campbell does, too. He is a human highlight reel. He was a top target for the Cyclones. Campbell will need to get him on the field and give him the ball.

Wide Receiver

Name: Tristan Michaud
Weight: 200lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Mixture of Sean Shaw and Hakeem Butler
Significant Impact: WR is CROWDED. I see RS JR season will be his opportunity to break out.
Attributes: [Raw] [Stretch]
Areas of Improvement: Arm Strength. Throwing off his back foot.
just an fyi on the receiver Tristan. You used the quarterbacks areas of weakness’s

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Thank you!

I am definitely realizing some things as I break down this class. The first thing (and most important things) is not to worry about the star rating of guy when he commits. Obviously, the star rating is the easiest indicator of talent; it's why these sites are popular. However, 247sports (the one I trust) can't always give accurate ratings the first go around. There are so many recruits they have to rate, and they are going off who limited information about which school is recruiting who. Some of the guys they had never even heard of (like Carston Marshall). If a guy commits that they have never heard of, they watch his tape and quickly slap on a rating. They don't want any guys that are committed to a school to be unrated.

But, there is hope for the guys who initially got a two star rating. 247sports puts a priority on evaluating the recruits that are committed, especially to power 5 schools. They want those ratings to be as accurate as possible. Since Myles Mendeszoon was unrated (an unknown) when he committed, 247 probably watched his tape once and tried to find a little else about him and then quickly put a rating on him. Over the season, they will review his tape indepth and give him a more accurate rating.

So don't worry about the stars now.... especially since I am making this thread.

This class is a class for the future. A lot of these guys will need at least a year in the weight room and a year to learn football to be a contributor on the field. LUCKILY, we had very solid depth at every position, we can afford to take guys who need to be coached up. The future is bright.

As always, great stuff! You really have a knack for this!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron