[Eli Sanders Added] 2021 Class Breakdown

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
EARLY SIGNING DAY SUPERLATIVES

Most Likely to play early:
Ben Langston and Myles Purchase
Ben Langston is a JUCO. Myles Purchase would be in the rotation TODAY if he was on campus.

Most Likely to have fans yell "Put him in": Howard Brown.
We all know him from the viral videos.

Best Pro Prospect: Tyler Moore.
There's a couple (Maro, Verdon), but Moore is going to have scouts drooling.

Fastest: Myles Purchase.
Clocked at 21.5MPH. Dude is fast.

Most Likely to be a fan favorite: Beau Freyler
His game is so fluid and he is a big time play maker. He'll be the guy snatching picks and making big hits.

Most Polished: Jaylin Noel
Probably the most polished receiver prospect since Lazard.

Rawest Talent: Myles Mendeszoon
Great length, athleticism and plays hard. Just needs to learn to play LB.

Most likely to come out of nowhere: Tyler Onyedim.
The focus of the DL class is Howard Brown. Tyler is very comparable talent wise.

Future Cyclone Hall of Famer: Tyler Maro
He'll start early and play for years. He'll likely play through a RS Sr season to get a masters.

Player who doesn't get enough respect: Aidan Ralph
One of the only recruits Campbell evaluated in person.

Let me know if you would like me to add more
Good breakdown. Man this team could use a Jaylin Noel right now. He may be as a true frosh. I also want to see purchase get opportunities at kick return punt return and corner right away. Staff not trusting Tampa yet..

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020

Ben Langston is a JUCO. Myles Purchase would be in the rotation TODAY if he was on campus.

His game is so fluid and he is a big time play maker. He'll be the guy snatching picks and making big hits.

The focus of the DL class is Howard Brown. Tyler is very comparable talent wise.

He'll start early and play for years. He'll likely play through a RS Sr season to get a masters.

I agree with the "doesn't get enough respect", Aidan Ralph only has 1 scholarship and that is to Iowa State. Idk if he didn't go to many camps or the fact that he didn't get to play his senior season. His tape reminds me a lot of Mike Rose's. He is very quick for his size, I think he could be a very good outside linebacker.

• Agree
Reactions: frackincygy

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Any word on what happened with Winsome Frazier? He was committed going into signing day... but looks like he is no longer committed.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I agree with the "doesn't get enough respect", Aidan Ralph only has 1 scholarship and that is to Iowa State. Idk if he didn't go to many camps or the fact that he didn't get to play his senior season. His tape reminds me a lot of Mike Rose's. He is very quick for his size, I think he could be a very good outside linebacker.
Aidan will be one of those recruits who likely would have blown up in his senior season since the recruiting services would have to scout him from week to week. I think he's the most ready to go out of all the LBs in this class.

He has a huge wing span. Can't wait to see him grow.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Would this have been the class with the "recruit" who had the issue with taking a team sweatshirt while on his visit? What happened to that kid?

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
2 questions 4L.
1. Why is Purchase so lowly ranked by Rivals and 247? Size, speed, High School production, video and number of scholarship offers all seem to be much higher than a low 3 star.
2. Has there been any info on where we sit with Robert Army?

Reactions: Cyclones03

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Eli Sanders
Position: RB
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 190lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 96
Player Comparison: Kene Nwangwu (I try to find someone else, but he really is the best comp)
Significant Impact: RS FR. He will be third this year. Breece Hall will go pro after next year (he would dumb not to). He will be the backup to Jirehl. Jirehl is very similar to David; Campbell had always tried to find a RB who could come give David a break. No one was good enough then. Breece can do everything. Eli will offer a change of pace to Jirehl's game
Attributes: [Speedster] [20/20] [Downhill]
Areas of Improvement:
He needs two off-seasons with Andrews to really take the next step. He's a slim 190; if he can carry 205 - 210, he has a future in the NFL. He also needs to work on his physicality. He is adverse to running over tacklers. He will need to get familiar with trucking dudes.
Thoughts:
Was a backup his Junior year. Chandler was one of the best team's in the country his senior year. He was a big part of that.
An NFL player who goes to the Chandler game says he is the real deal and would have the big time schools all over him if not for COVID.
He runs a bit stiff and will need to work on his agility, but he makes up with it by being so d*mn quick off the snap and he has really good vision.
The plays to watch are the first play of his Junior Highlight and the fourth and fifth play of his senior highlight. Those best show his talents: his burst, his top speed and his vision.
I see him in the NFL. Will he be a Breece Hall level talent? Not many are. But I think if he is solid at catching and improves his toughness and strength, we are looking at another NFL RB for Campbell.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
INTRO

It was requested by members that I create a thread to breakdown the 2021 recruiting class and include my analysis and other information.

I will post all the information in this first post. I will add to it when there is a new commit or when I have more information to provide. I will notify of changes to the first post by making a post and including the information added/changed. Let me know if you disagree with any of my information.

I won't be given a traditional star rating. I'll instead include when we could see them get significant playing time and attributes about them (Let me know if you need clarification or if I need to add anything)

ATTRIBUTE LIST

[Speedster] - denotes a player that is very fast
[WHOOP!] - denotes a player with excellent agility and the ability to juke. Think Chris Berman
[Raw] - denotes a player lacking technique and/or physique but has high potential.
[Freak] - denote a player whose athleticism almost defies physics
[Motor] - denotes a player that never gives up on a play
[Leader] - denotes a player is a natural born leader
[Jack of all trades] - denotes a player can do everything at their position (Breece Hall)
[Ball Hawk] - denotes a player can snatch the ball. This applies for both offense and defense.
[Lockdown] - a defensive back who can take a receiver out of the play
[Technician] - denotes a player has elite technique for highschool
[20/20] - denotes a player has great vision
[Downhill] - denotes a offensive player who runs with ferocity
[Ram] - denotes a player is a hard hitter
[Stretch] - denotes a player is tall for his position
[Rover] - denotes a defensive play that can cover the entire field
[Playmaker] - denotes a player who can make spectacular plays. He'll often make you say "How did he do that?"

NCAA FOOTBALL 14 RATINGS

It would probably be safe to assume that most guys in their 20's that follow CF still play NCAA football 14. I still do... about everyday. The NCAA Football games use a rating system of 0-100 for every detail of the players ability as well as overall rating. Here is a video that explains Madden Rating (which are the same as NCAA Football):

I will be giving each player a Freshman rating and Potential Rating. The Freshman Rating is the rating that the player would have if they were put in the game today. The Potential Rating is what I think they could be rated once they are a senior. Note: Potential is not what I think they WILL be, it's what I think the ceiling of what they could be.

NCAA Football games would rate their freshman players according to the star ratings.
61 below = 2 star
62-69 = 3 star caliber
70-77 = 4 star caliber
78-81 = 5 star caliber

Potential
80+ = Role Player
85+ = Starter for P5
90+ = All-Conference
95+ = All-American
98+ = Heisman

Notes: the above ranges are what NCAA Football would use to rate their players. Obviously, teams like Akron may not have anyone above 80 and BAMA may have 50 players over 85. It's just a scale for reference of their ability.
I will not be rating all 3 stars between 62 and 69. Some may be above and some below. Again, it's just for reference.

PLAYERS

Quarterbacks

Running Backs

For Eli Sanders: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...21-class-breakdown.256034/page-4#post-7540494

Name: Deon Silas
Position: RB, Slot, KR/PR
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 170lb
Other Measurables: 11.0s 100 meter dash verified
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 68
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 91
Player Comparison: Jarvis West, Dalvin Cook
Significant Impact: Depending on how he is used, I could see him getting significant playing time his RS FR year after Johnnie leaves. Since he is a RB/Slot/Returner guy, I could see him used as a gadget guy. Think De'Anthony Thomas at Oregon his freshman year. He was the THIRD stringer and he was on Heisman lists the summer leading into his sophomore year. Deon is about the same size and has very good agility (DAT had HOF agility). If they don't use him in that respect, he will be the return man for 4 years and look for RB playing time his RS SO or RS JR year.
Attributes: [Speedster] [WHOOP!] [20/20] [Downhill]
Areas of Improvement: He's tiny. He will need some time in the weight room if he wants to be used as the feature back.
Thoughts: I love this guy; Campbell does, too. He is a human highlight reel. He was a top target for the Cyclones. Campbell will need to get him on the field and give him the ball.

Wide Receiver

Name: Tristan Michaud
Position: WR
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 200lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 88
Player Comparison: Brandon Marshall
Significant Impact: WR is CROWDED. I see RS JR season will be his opportunity to break out.
Attributes: [Raw] [Stretch]
Areas of Improvement: Speed and everything about his game
Thoughts: Whoever did the camera work for his highlight tape should be fired. It's really difficult to get a gage on this guy because some of the plays I can barely see. Anyway...
I think he is incredibly raw, but has the size and decent athleticism to be a P5 receiver.
He's from Canada also.

Name: Jaylin Noel
Position: WR
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 175lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Josh Lenz
Significant Impact: RS SO will fight to be a starter. Will get playing time RS FR
Attributes: [Speedster] [Leader] [Technician]
Areas of Improvement: 15 pounds of muscle and a bit more WOW factor.
Thoughts: It's pronounced "Nole" not "No El". I LOOOOVE this guy. His game is cleaner than a brand new Lexus. Very polished. He has great burst and long speed. Hard to find very many flaws in his game; his routes are crisp and his catching technique is textbook. Not necessarily a draw back, but he doesn't excel at one particular thing or have something that makes him stand out. He's not lightning fast, he's not big, he's not flashy. He will be a good player and I think he will be playing on Sundays.

Tight End

Name:
Tyler Moore
Position: TE
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 245 lbs
Other Measurables: 4.7s 40yd down from 5.2s
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 68
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 93
Player Comparison: George Kittle *hides*
Significant Impact: RS So. This is due to depth in the TE room. We have some studs in that room and unless we run 4 TE sets (please Campbell), I doubt we see him much until RS So year.
Attributes: [Stretch] [Freak] [Motor] [Speedster]
Areas of Improvement:
Blocking. He’s never been on the line with his hand in the dirt, so he needs to learn how to block.
Thoughts:
I wanted to wait on Tyler until I saw him Senior Year as a TE; He worked at MOVEWELL and he played WR as a Junior. I must say Wow! We found a gem in state that Hok didn’t want.
I worried about Tyler’s speed and his size when I saw his junior tape. He looked sluggish pretty underwhelming as a receiver. After his transformation in the offseason, he looks like an NFL TE. He’s the fastest and the biggest player on the field and is total mismatch against Iowa HS safeties. I really like him and he has a chance to be a part of a long line of ISU TE glory.

Offensive Line

Name:
Dodge Sauser
Position: OG
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 270lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 87
Player Comparison:
Significant Impact:
It is hard for a OLineman to find playing time early unless they come significantly better than other lineman on the roster. The realisitic expectation for Sauser to make a significant impact is his RS JR year. He needs a year or two in the weightroom and to refine his skills.
Attributes: [Leader] [Motor]
Areas of Improvement: He needs to eat and get in the weight room.
Thoughts: Dodge was something like 230 lbs as a Sophomore. ISU told him to gain weight, show he can still move and he'll get an offer. He got an offer and was our second commit of the class. He is also a HUGE leader for this class and is leading the charge on the recruiting trail.

Name: Jim Bonifas
Position: OT
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 255lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 85
Player Comparison:
Significant Impact:
RS JR
Attributes:
Areas of Improvement:
Jim will really benefit from a few offseasons with the program. He needs to eat and get in the weight room. He also needs to work on his toughness and physicality. With a name like "Jim Bonifas", he needs to want to punch people in the mouth every play.
Thoughts: I stink at rating OL recruits. You can only tell how effective a OL player is through watching extensive tape and how he performs against top competition. I didn't get to see that with Bonifas. However, his tape lacks the typical number of pancake blocks that most OL recruits have. That concerns me a bit. A D1 recruit should make easy work of most of his competition in Iowa. However, he does have the frame and the athleticism to add an extra 50 lbs of meat and still be effective as a tackle.

Dude...the work u did on this, RESPECT!

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
2 questions 4L.
1. Why is Purchase so lowly ranked by Rivals and 247? Size, speed, High School production, video and number of scholarship offers all seem to be much higher than a low 3 star.
I think Army is going to sign next month.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
2 questions 4L.
Purchase may get a bump in a few days. He deserves it. He is someone who needed the camps in the offseason to get noticed nationally. Good thing he didn't; He probably wouldn't be a Cyclone.

Army probably won't end up a Cyclone.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Any thoughts on guys with kick return potential? With Kene leaving and Brock moving to the #2 RB spot we may need two new returners on kickoffs. Kene had some big plays this year in the return game too. One vs. Baylor set up the TD to pull us within 7, one against OU helped us tie the game right away after OU took the lead in the 4th.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Purchase may get a bump in a few days. He deserves it. He is someone who needed the camps in the offseason to get noticed nationally. Good thing he didn't; He probably wouldn't be a Cyclone.

Army probably won't end up a Cyclone.
What’s the problem with army?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Any thoughts on guys with kick return potential? With Kene leaving and Brock moving to the #2 RB spot we may need two new returners on kickoffs. Kene had some big plays this year in the return game too. One vs. Baylor set up the TD to pull us within 7, one against OU helped us tie the game right away after OU took the lead in the 4th.
Myles Purchase and Deon Silas will be responsible for that. They are very talented return guys; both are more "pure" return dudes than Kene. Kene IMO was very good at choosing a lane and sprinting to get yards. Silas and Purchase are better at making their own lanes, though they aren't as fast as Kene.

Watch their highlight tapes. They have plenty of Ret TDs

Reactions: cymonw1980

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Safety

Name:
Beau Freyler
Position: SS
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 195 lb
Other Measurables: 4.4 40
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 69
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 92
Player Comparison: Harrison Smith
Significant Impact: RS FR. Safety is a spot that ISU is still trying to build the depth. Beau, Isheem Young and Craig MacDonald will be called upon early in their careers to make plays.
Attributes: [Ball Hawk] [Playmaker] [Stretch] [Rover]
Areas of Improvement:
Another guy with the athleticism and technique to play early. The ONLY knock on him I see is he doesn't lay the lumber. It's not a huge problem and won't keep him off the field if all other areas check out, but his presence isn't intimidating like a Mark Barron, Kam Chancellor or Taylor Mays.
Thoughts: I'll admit, I thought when Wisconsin offered that he would end up going there. He is EXACTLY what Wisconsin looks for in their safeties. Looked like a match made in Heaven.
Welp, it's a new era, boys. We are landing the dudes that other programs want. His speed and pursuit are what I love about this guy.
At the time of writing this, he is a low three star. THAT IS GOING TO CHANGE. He could be pushing 4 star come signing day. I'm really excited about this guy. You should be, too.

Name: Robert Army
Position: FS
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 190 lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 88
Player Comparison: Isheem Young
Significant Impact: RS So for depth reasons. Will be tough to gain starting reps
Attributes: [Rover]
Areas of Improvement:
Army will need to spend an offseason or two with Dave Andrews. He recorded a 5.00s 40 with a 4.6 shuttle and vert in the 20s. Although he was a sophomore, that's still not great numbers for D1 talent.
Thoughts: Army may not be a track&field star, but he could possibly end up being a football star. Think of Isheem Young here. He may be a step slower than Young, but he flies to the ball and hits HARD. It's tough to tell pure coverage skills on a highlight, because if they do well, they don't get thrown on. Army has what this staff is looking for in a safety.

Name: Malik Verdon
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 205 lb
Other Measurables:
Player Comparison: Jayron Kearse
Significant Impact: RS So. I see him getting some playing his four games his first year, getting a little play time and special teams his RSFR year and fully in the rotation his RS So year.
Attributes: [Rover][Ram][Stretch][Jack-of-All-Trades]
Areas of Improvement:
He needs to get up to 220lb; he is a thin 205lb and could be very deadly at 220. For him, there is no glaring weakness in his game, he just needs to polish everything.
Thoughts: Get use to Campbell & Co. recruiting super tall safeties like this. Wanna know who else has a 6'4" safety that is starting? Notre Dame, and that dude is incredible. Verdon played nearly every position on the football field that is not in the trenches. He can play up to the line like a linebacker and can cover like a DB. He is very athletic and he will carry a WOW! factor with him when he plays.
His position will be safety, but I will not be surprised if Heacock send him on blitzes on occasion. Landing him, the 4th safety in our class, makes me VERY excited for that position moving forward.

Name: Ben Langston
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 190 lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 71
NCAA Football 14 Potential:
Player Comparison: Tall Greg Eisworth
Significant Impact: RS So (will be a RS FR first year at ISU)
Attributes: [Rover][Ram][Stretch]
Areas of Improvement:
Tackling is the biggest area of concern for Langston. He's a hard hitter and doesn't often miss tackles; however, he has a tendency to make shoestring tackles. Yes, a tackle is a tackle, but he will need to the learn to wrap up to play in the Big 12.
Thoughts: Langston plays of one of the JUCO schools in the country. He's one of the Top JUCO safeties in the class. He has the length and physicality that the staff is looking for. Langston will have the chance to start early. I really like how he plays, very smooth and confident. I wonder how well his coverage skills are because I have seen much tape of him in coverage. He flies to the ball and will be a force in the run game. I foresee A LOT of people confusing him and Freyler since they are similar sizes and have similar play styles.

Cornerback

Name:
Myles Purchase
Position: CB
Height: 5’10"
Weight: 170 lb
Other Measurables: 21.5 MPH clocked speed
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 94
Player Comparison: Jabrill Peppers
Significant Impact: RS FR. I could see him playing next year. He’s that good, but he has guys ahead of him.
Attributes: [RAM] [Speedster] [FREAK] [Ball Hawk] [Lockdown] [Playmaker] [Rover]
Areas of Improvement:
Really... he just needs to clean up his technique a bit.
Thoughts: Believe me when I tell you, I have watched hundreds of highlight tapes for cornerback ISU recruits. I do not remember watching any recruit that is could cover, hit, create turnovers and score touchdowns like this guy can.
You may ask, “well, can’t it just be that he putsup great highlights but may get burned sometimes?” Yes, that’s always a possibility; however, I have watched some of his games this year.
He is an island; complete lockdown cornerback. The other CB on the team is committed to Wisconsin. Opposing QBs Target his receivers WAY MORE than they target Purchase’s. For good reason, too; they are well covered by Purchase. When they do get throw to, Purchase bats the ball or intercepts it. He is insanely good.
He will also be one of the fastest players on the team. He hits very hard.
He is a Punt Return machine. Multiple return touchdowns and averages 90 yards/game in punt return yards; that’s crazy high.
I highly recommend watching his highlights.
I love this pickup; may be my favorite.

I did not realize how good Purchase is. I remember glancing at his offer list and not really being that impressed. Then I watched his tape. He's stupid fast and I don't believe he is done growing height wise. I'm really excited about him and Freyler. Future is bright in Ames!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Purchase’s rivals page says he runs a 4.8 forty. That can’t be right.
My HS coach made us time our 40s after a practice. They were some bad times. My sons had them on the track and with track cleats, add in an old coach who was slow to start the watch and would cut times for kids he liked and he had one kid who probably ran a 5.8 running a 4.5. Film is better than using any HS time.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin