Dog ate a guitar pick...

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Any advice besides watching him? Think he'll pass it or will we need intervention? He's a 30 lb. French Bulldog.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
No joke, I watched a dog pass over six feet of carpet (with a little help), I think your dog will be fine.

No, I was not the guy that helped the dog.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Vets can also provide you with a lube you can feed your dog which may help him pass it easier if it was eaten whole.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My dog (10 lb dachsund/chihuahua/terrier mutt) ate the entire male end of the clamp on his collar. Roughly the same amount of plastic as a guitar pick. He did chew it up a bit though. Not sure if yours chewed or just swallowed it whole.

If that little bastard can pass it, I think your 30lb bulldog will do just fine.

RustyClone

Dec 16, 2008
Hockenheim
I had a lab that ate my TV remote. He spit the batteries out but pulverized the rest. I could see pieces and parts in the back yard for a few days.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Back in the 80's my dad and I used to collect baseball cards, back when the cards used to still come with gum in the packs. We were in the process of opening a box that had about 30 packs in it and we were putting the gum on the table. My dad and I left the table for a minute and when we came back our 15 lb mutt had eaten all the gum. How he didn't die still amazes me to this day.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Just talked to my wife, who is a vet. She said that you should monitor the dog closely for vomiting, diarrhea, etc. She agrees that dogs eat things they aren't supposed to all of the time but every once in a while, something like this can turn out bad.

May 8, 2010
My cousin's lab once ate about a baseball sized rock and still was able to get it out somehow, so I think a 30 lb dog eating a guitar pick will be just fine!

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Thanks CW. My googling revealed some sad stories including one involving something as simple as a bread tie tab thing.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Just talked to my wife, who is a vet. She said that you should monitor the dog closely for vomiting, diarrhea, etc. She agrees that dogs eat things they aren't supposed to all of the time but every once in a while, something like this can turn out bad.
Gotta love Chris! Helping out all Fanatics any way he can!

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Any advice besides watching him? Think he'll pass it or will we need intervention? He's a 30 lb. French Bulldog.

I agree with the others who said if he chewed it up some he should pass it ok. I would be a little concerned if he didn't chew it due to the sharp edges. As CW said monitor for vomiting or any other signs of illness. If so contact your veterinarian. It may be hepful to feed him some bread to give him something to pass along with it.

While most were right often they pass many things without complications we've seen some very serious complications by ingesting a lot of crazy objects.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
My 30 pound beagle thinks he is a goat and eats everything. I'm always amazed when it is time to clean up his poop in the backyard. I would think your dog will be ok.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron