Dog ate a guitar pick...

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
My buddy's dog once ate a whole package of Bic razor blades, vet said to feed him cotton balls mushed up in peanut butter so they would wrap up the sharp parts in his gut. He passed those fine, after hearing that story I get much less worried when dogs eat things they shouldn't.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Any advice besides watching him? Think he'll pass it or will we need intervention? He's a 30 lb. French Bulldog.

he will be fine.. dogs eat crazy shiz.. my dog once ate 2 loafs of bread, plastic covers and 6 bananas skins and all... she was sick for a week.. sucked, but lived.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Our dogs did not even smell the trash at home or knock over the can inside for 6 years. The other day, there were chicken wing bones in the trash and they knocked it over and ate them while we were out for 20 minutes. I was worried as I've heard never to give a dog chicken bones. They have both been ok "potty" wise and haven't thrown up.

Our cats have eaten crazier things than our dogs. Christmas tinsel or bows for presents cannot enter our home or they will track them down and eat them all. (And then throw them up all over the house.)

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I got a couple of female beagle pups a few years ago...while they were still in their wild and crazy stage they got onto the table and ate a whole package of dramamine. It was a couple of hours before we found the empty wrappers and all that happened was they were sleepy as heck for about a week solid. Most peaceful week we had in a couple years around the house :yes:

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Solid stool this AM. Fed him a can of wet food to help excretion and he ate normally. Last night did some re-enactments of elimination scenarios with other guitar picks. This had some rough anatomy:eek:bject evaluations. I'm grabbing some gloves from the lab for doody duty.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I suggest preventing in the future, have him try finger picking or key boards.

He'll be fine! Dogs eat all kinds of stuff that most owners never know. Just monitor like CW noted.

Z

terryleebr

Apr 10, 2006
Had a lab eat pantyhose once. Gave (forced him to drink) a mixture of water and peroxide. Think I gave him too much because his stomach was still traveling the highway from his ahole to his throat long after we retrieved the hose.

whtsnake

May 31, 2011
Talked to my sister who is an ISU vet grad. As long as threre's no blood or discomfort your dog should have passed everything just fine. Just keep a close eye on him/her.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
He puked this AM. Decided to just take him to the vet. Girlfriend's good friend just lost a dog because it ate a wash cloth (warsh cloth if you're close to MO border). Better to be safe than sorry. I hope him eating it is not any indictment on my guitar abilities.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Keep us updated!

Love dogs and have been there and done that before. All will work out...may cost a few bucks though.

Z

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
My doberman/lab has eaten all kinds of things he wasn't supposed to...tuna cans, cell phones, my passport, a roll of paper towels...the one that got him in trouble was a pack of socks...he started projectile vomiting and had to stay at the vet for a week, but made it through ok. He cost $60 to adopt and in 4 years has racked up $2500 in vet bills....totally worth it though, he's my buddy. Hope your dog gets the guitar pick out ok, I think he'll be fine.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Our stupid dog is waging an ongoing jihad against balloons.

She is a wonderful dog, and typically very smart and well behaved, typical lab.

However, she loses her ever-loving mind when she sees a balloon. She barks, and jumps, and goes completely nuts whenever there is a balloon in the area. She will, as it turns out eat them if given the chance.

My wife's uncle gave them these colorful long balloons that you fill up and let fly like a rocket. I finally took it away because the dog was just way too out of control around the kids when they played with them...and she would eat them if given the chance.

It was always interesting seeing the multicolored dog **** out in the yard. Really classed the place up. :rolleyes:

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
We've got a Lab. 2nd day we had him, my daughter knocked over a bottle of Tylenol. He snarfed them up. They are toxic to dogs. (Heck, as many as he ate would be toxic to anyone). Called bro-in-law (DVM) who told me to make the dog vomit. No Ipecac, so he suggested salt. Took a nearly-full bottle of Morton's, poured it down his gullet, then pinched his mouth and nose shut until he swallowed.
I swear the dog puked twice his body weight. Nasty. Then I got to go through the puke and pick out the Tylenol to make sure we didn't have to repeat the process.
Neighbors probably thought that was the way I disciplined my dog. I didn't like my neighbors, so never felt the need to explain.
Good times.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Update: Friday morning he threw up in a couple different places so we decided to take him in. Vet took radiographs/X-rays and didn't see any bowel obstruction or obvious signs of a pick so just monitored him the rest of the day. Gave him some mineral oil and GI bland food and monitored passing. He passed the test. We picked him up that night. His bills surpassed the his price. But he's still his jovial self.

Hawkcigar

Oct 22, 2006
Update: Friday morning he threw up in a couple different places so we decided to take him in. Vet took radiographs/X-rays and didn't see any bowel obstruction or obvious signs of a pick so just monitored him the rest of the day. Gave him some mineral oil and GI bland food and monitored passing. He passed the test. We picked him up that night. His bills surpassed the his price. But he's still his jovial self.

Glad to hear everything turned out ok and your pooch is back to normal!

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs

Great to hear!

Z