Do you take Cover?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
So I am curious do people take cover every time there is a tornado warning?
Or do you figure out where it is first and ignore if it doesn't effect you?

Since I have been pretty young there is not many times I have actually taken cover. I think it may be mostly because I have never actually seen a tornado in person.

cgwarrior33

Mar 27, 2006
Norwalk, Iowa
Yea, I am usually looking around for it as well. We had two come with in 3-4 miles of Forest City last night and I was out back with my neighbors having a beer and looking for it. Unfortunately for us, we didn't get to see either tornado so all we really did was get a lil wet.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
It depends on where the storm is honestly. If it's bearing down on us (like last night in Omaha) I'm in the basement. If it's on the other side of the county, I'll be upstairs watching the storm. I do track down my shoes, wallet, phone, etc.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
It is probably bad for me to say this, but in my entire life, I don't think I have ever taken shelter.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I was on my way back into Cedar Falls when the worst of it hit. I was on a bridge and it wasn't just raining, it was like I was driving through a waterfall. The winds were really picking up and my car started to move and the streetlights suddenly went out. I thought that was it, I figured there was a tornado near by and was about to get swept away. Luckily I made it home and ran straight downstairs.

Went out this morning and there are trees down all over the place.

livinthedream

Feb 4, 2008
Elk River Mn
I usually send the kids to the basement and I monitor the storms on the computer. After seeing the destruction done in Hugo Mn about 15 miles south of e a couple weeks ago, I am not sure even the basement is a safe place in the newer constructed homes. I used to watch from the front window but no longer....I will be sitting down there with them....

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm like others. I'm usually outside looking for the actual tornado when there's a warning. When I was still living in Ames, I would make sure I was near the house to if I did see it I could head to the basement.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I rarely take shelter. My freshman year at ISU, we had a bad storm roll through, and a cell came right over campus, but never touched the ground. Even with the radar saying it was headed straight for the east side of campus, I was still out with the rest of my floor trying to look for it. How stupid were we? :wink:

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
I tend to look around for the thing during the day, I grew up in central Iowa out in the country and I saw my fair share of tornados on the ground out in corn fields. If it is during the night and they say it is close I am hitting the basement, no questions asked. I don't want to see one heading straight for us between lighting strikes.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I go when MrsWx goes...

Considering the business you all are in, that's probably wisest....

Myself, during the day I look for it, but at night, I take my wife and kids to the basement and listen to the radio. Setting the example, and all that....

Now that we live in Germany, we don't have tornadoes, but our house has two foot thick stone walls on one side, and is dug into the side of a mountain on the other. We don't go anywhere, when storms come.

Oddly enough, when in Iraq, I'd also be watching the incoming fire during attacks on the FOB. The mortars and tracers were cool to watch.... And your chances of actually being hit were phenomenally small....

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
no, I usaully just watch the skies and if the wind really picks up or something doesn't look right I will. never seen a tornado but seen some skies that might have been the right condition for one

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
A week ago when the storms went through Attica, I came out of my apartment to go work out and the Pella tornado alarms where going off. I did see anything so I just carried on my way. Probably not the brightest idea, but I was completely aware that the alarm going off was Pella's tornado alarm. . .

I think we have taken shelter when I was young on a few occasions.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
No, I used to look for them, now I just ignore the warnings. I am a victim of the "boy who cried wolf" when it comes to these warnings.

jbing

Dec 27, 2007
Ankeny, IA
www.jeremybingaman.com
I go based on how freaked out John McLaughlin appears. If he's calm and cool like a few nights ago when rotation was near Ankeny, I didn't move a cheek from the couch. But if he starts freaking over the shiz hitting the fan, then you better believe I'm grabbin up the fam and valuables and hitting the basement.

However, I would much rather ride shotgun with a storm chaser! MrsWx4Cy - Hook a brotha up! :)

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
I used to have that attitiude that "it will never happen to me" when it comes to weather stuff so I wouldn't take cover and would just sit by the window or be outside. The "older" I have gotten I've realized that tornados can happen basically anywhere with very little notice so I've started to take more precautions.

However, I still can't get over the feelings of actually going to the basement. I guess I think I could get buried/crushed under there, which I think happens (?).