Do you know the fight song?

Do you know the fight song?

• Yes (don't know the words... don't know the words....)

Votes: 132 87.4%
  • No (i actually don't know the words)

Votes: 19 12.6%

• Total voters

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I sat in the student section last year, against Kansas st, and I learned the some interesting fight songs lyrics.

You probally learned the interesting "Go Cyclones Go" lyrics... ;-)

Unless you sat with the Band...

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
This thread is going to give Jamie Pollard an idea.

New uniforms? Check.
New colors? Check.
New logo? Check.
New fight song? Hmmmm....

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
New fight song? Hmmmm....

There are usually a few loose screws that submit new fight song lyrics to the AD every year.

These people are annoyed at the word "sons" and the specific mention of football (hit that line; every yard). They want gender-neutral and sport-neutral words.

When K.J. Kindler was the gymnastics coach, she had her gymnasts change words when they "sang" the fight song before each meet -- plugged in "daughters" and made a couple of other tweaks. Irritating.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
it wasn't a very good joke.

but seriously I'm guessing less than half of ISU students know the fight song. Take out band members, athletes and greeks and the number would be really low.

It looks like you're the only who had a problem with it. I would bet most students who go to the games know it. It's also fairly possible that half the students aren't that big of sports fans at all. The point of the poll was that most big ISU fans seem to know the fight song. I know a lot of big Hawk fans who don't have a clue as to what Iowa's is...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I was a big sports fan, but I never had the money to get to a game, and spent most of my evenings teaching martial arts. I wish I'd made more, but I didn't know the words until last season. This would coincide with the buying of season tickets.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I remember when Deace still had his sports radio show. He had a contest to find his main reporter for his Cyclone website. These people were supposed to be big Clone fans. One of his tests for them was to sing the fight song. No one could do it. Not one. Talk about a train wreck live on the radio. Hilarious.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
It looks like you're the only who had a problem with it. I would bet most students who go to the games know it. It's also fairly possible that half the students aren't that big of sports fans at all. The point of the poll was that most big ISU fans seem to know the fight song. I know a lot of big Hawk fans who don't have a clue as to what Iowa's is...

yikes ... I don't have a problem with it or you. :wideeyed:

you wanted to know who didn't know and I told you. Go in a bar some time and have an Iowa fan sing their fight song then find an ISU fan to do the same thing. You'll run out of ISU fans who know the lyrics waaaay earlier. damn it!, now I have to shower in scalding water.

Reactions: Al_4_State

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
Then you should cheer for their athletic teams, as opposed to their hated arch rivals. Hawk fans at ISU are the definition of tool. I'm not saying you have to go to a school to be a fan, but when you attend a BCS conference school, and cheer for their arch rivals, you are a tool (exception: you are a grad student, or have actually attended the school you cheer for in the past).

PS. I'm glad "tool" has not been bleeped yet...

Believe it or not, I disagree with this. There are many people that go to a university for the university offerings, not just sports. Where you go doesn't and should dictate your sports allegences.

I think it's dumb when people associate an entire university to they're sports programs. There is more to life than sports. I have two doctors up here in Madison that went to Iowa. My life could be in their hands someday and I have problems with that.

What about the people that never went to college? Do they just not get to be fans of a BCS team?

To take it a step further, how does that work with professional sports? If you move to Colorado for a job, do you have instantly have to become a Broncos fan or are you allowed to stay true to how you were brought up? In Iowa, there are not professional sports so maybe you shouldn't get to be a fan of anyone period? Dumb isn't it?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
yikes ... I don't have a problem with it or you. :wideeyed:

you wanted to know who didn't know and I told you. Go in a bar some time and have an Iowa fan sing their fight song then find an ISU fan to do the same thing. You'll run out of ISU fans who know the lyrics waaaay earlier. damn it!, now I have to shower in scalding water.

Fair enough, sorry to jump down your throat. I do think it would be hard to find an Iowa fan who knows the lyrics though. Whenever I've been to a game at Kinnick, their fans just clap during it. Never seen anyone sing. At least not to the official one they play after TDs.

Reactions: clones_jer

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Believe it or not, I disagree with this. There are many people that go to a university for the university offerings, not just sports. Where you go doesn't and should dictate your sports allegences.

I think it's dumb when people associate an entire university to they're sports programs. There is more to life than sports. I have two doctors up here in Madison that went to Iowa. My life could be in their hands someday and I have problems with that.

What about the people that never went to college? Do they just not get to be fans of a BCS team?

To take it a step further, how does that work with professional sports? If you move to Colorado for a job, do you have instantly have to become a Broncos fan or are you allowed to stay true to how you were brought up? In Iowa, there are not professional sports so maybe you shouldn't get to be a fan of anyone period? Dumb isn't it?

If you had actually read the original post, you would have seen where I said you don't have to go to school to be a fan. My only problem is people who go to a school, don't cheer for their school, and instead openly and passionately root for their hated arch rival (DJK and SH are examples of this). I never said that you had to go to a school to be a fan of that school.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
If you had actually read the original post, you would have seen where I said you don't have to go to school to be a fan. My only problem is people who go to a school, don't cheer for their school, and instead openly and passionately root for their hated arch rival (DJK and SH are examples of this). I never said that you had to go to a school to be a fan of that school.

I read it but I didn't "actually" read it I guess.

I think I understand now. If you don't go to school, you can root for whoever you want. If you do go to school, you have to cheer for that school's athletic programs.

I will say I agree in situations with the examples you pointed out. Why would a few "rival" fans think they belong on a message board for they're rivals? Do they think they're going to change the mindset of a fan base? Silly. When you're blatant about it, it's pretty dumb.

Go Cyclones!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I read it but I didn't "actually" read it I guess.

I think I understand now. If you don't go to school, you can root for whoever you want. If you do go to school, you have to cheer for that school's athletic programs.

I will say I agree in situations with the examples you pointed out. Why would a few "rival" fans think they belong on a message board for they're rivals? Do they think they're going to change the mindset of a fan base? Silly. When you're blatant about it, it's pretty dumb.

Go Cyclones!

Pretty much. I suppose I would further say that if you go to a school in a smaller division (Wartburg, Central, etc) you obviously can cheer for whatever D1 team you want, without "betraying" your school loyalty.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
On a sidenote... I recently remembered that I had a professor that I know knows the fight song...

I know this because the first day we had him for lab he sang the Fight Song for us 2x... once while inhaling Argon gas, then while inhaling Helium gas... :biglaugh:

(Argon, being heavier than oxygen, lowers your voice)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron