Do you know the fight song?

Do you know the fight song?

• Yes (don't know the words... don't know the words....)

Votes: 132 87.4%
  • No (i actually don't know the words)

Votes: 19 12.6%

• Total voters

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I saw this being debated in another thread. It seems most Clone fans I know (especially if they went to State, and 95% of Clone fans i know did) know the words to the fight song. Do YOU???

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
No idea, whatsoever. I think I even got a free shirt my freshman year with the fight song on the back..

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Official lyrics to Fights: check
Unofficial lyrics to Fights: check (5 more verses)
Bells of Iowa State: check
For I For S and Rise Sons: usually miss one line of each

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
thank God negative rep is gone ... so which one is the fight song? I thought it was the one that ended "hit it hard, every yard for ISU" ... but by the poll it seems you're implying its the one the students sometimes sing the "don't know the words" lyrics too ... which I think is a totally different tune.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
No idea, whatsoever. I think I even got a free shirt my freshman year with the fight song on the back..

I think the question was for Cyclone fans, not Hawk fans who just happened to attend classes at our fine institution. Thanks anyway.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I think the question was for Cyclone fans, not Hawk fans who just happened to attend classes at our fine institution. Thanks anyway.

I didn't just "attend classes," I hold a degree from that fine institution.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
thank God negative rep is gone ... so which one is the fight song? I thought it was the one that ended "hit it hard, every yard for ISU" ... but by the poll it seems you're implying its the one the students sometimes sing the "don't know the words" lyrics too ... which I think is a totally different tune.

I made the assumption that is the actual fight song (yes, the one that ends in "hit it hard, every yard for ISU"). The "Don't Know the Words" are made-up words for the song "Go Cyclones Go".

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I made the assumption that is the actual fight song (yes, the one that ends in "hit it hard, every yard for ISU"). The "Don't Know the Words" are made-up words for the song "Go Cyclones Go".

Oh, well in that case I know most of the fight song ... I always join in after the fisrt couple lines.

I have know idea what any of the "correct" go cyclones go song lyrics are ... I'm guessing the vulgarity isn't in the original.

at least everybody knows the made-up ones! That's points somewhere right?

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Oh, well in that case I know most of the fight song ... I always join in after the fisrt couple lines.

I have know idea what any of the "correct" go cyclones go song lyrics are ... I'm guessing the vulgarity isn't in the original.

at least everybody knows the made-up ones! That's points somewhere right?

The only real words to "Go Cyclones Go" are at the end when you hear:

BUUUUM

Go!

BUUUUM

Go!

BUUUUM

Go!

BUM

Go! Go! Go!

That's it.

Otherwise.. yes.. vulgarities aren't a part of the "real" words.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Wow. No, of course I meant the one that ends "hit it hard every yard for ISU". That's the official fight song. The "don't know the words" in parentheses was a joke, but I guess you missed that...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I didn't just "attend classes," I hold a degree from that fine institution.

Then you should cheer for their athletic teams, as opposed to their hated arch rivals. Hawk fans at ISU are the definition of tool. I'm not saying you have to go to a school to be a fan, but when you attend a BCS conference school, and cheer for their arch rivals, you are a tool (exception: you are a grad student, or have actually attended the school you cheer for in the past).

PS. I'm glad "tool" has not been bleeped yet...

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke3485

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I know the words to the I state fight song as well as about a dozen other college's songs too... and the tune to about 35 more (thanks ncaa football video games):huh:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Wow. No, of course I meant the one that ends "hit it hard every yard for ISU". That's the official fight song. The "don't know the words" in parentheses was a joke, but I guess you missed that...

it wasn't a very good joke.

but seriously I'm guessing less than half of ISU students know the fight song. Take out band members, athletes and greeks and the number would be really low.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
it wasn't a very good joke.

but seriously I'm guessing less than half of ISU students know the fight song. Take out band members, athletes and greeks and the number would be really low.

Most people who go to games know the fight song simply because they care enough to buy tickets and hear it all the time. The students who don't buy tickets probably don't, but I'd venture to say 75-80% if not more of students who attend sporting events know it.