Do we think the students move to the SEZ?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I'd still like to hear if any of this money actually goes to the AD. I don't know, but find it a little surprising given the ISU AD's statements of "self-sufficiency". When I was a student I always thought these fees were for intramurals and rec services.

According to this students pay $21 per semester and the GSB wants to cut that to $10 because they are protesting that the donor lots are not open to students tailgating.

Considering that position, I propose that all student football tickets go up by $25 each and they be given the existing visitors section and wrap around to the end zone. No way should they be given premium seats since they do not appreciate them anyway.

GSB to propose cut in student fees for athletic department - Iowa State Daily: News

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
According to this students pay $21 per semester and the GSB wants to cut that to $10 because they are protesting that the donor lots are not open to students tailgating.

Considering that position, I propose that all student football tickets go up by $25 each and they be given the existing visitors section and wrap around to the end zone. No way should they be given premium seats since they do not appreciate them anyway.

GSB to propose cut in student fees for athletic department - Iowa State Daily: News

Interesting, but that article is from 2003 when they had the controversy of moving the old student lot (which was on the pavement right next to the stadium) to the current grass lots. I would be surprised if things hadn't significantly changed since that article.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Interesting, but that article is from 2003 when they had the controversy of moving the old student lot (which was on the pavement right next to the stadium) to the current grass lots. I would be surprised if things hadn't significantly changed since that article.

Like the athletic department becoming self sufficient, for example.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Good point.
Assuming the students do move, then hopefully there is an upper deck with cheaper seats available. Also, I'm sure the donation sections will change as well. Meaning, there will be a lot more $100 donation level sections than before, or perhaps a few more sections on the ends that don't require a donation.

But, I do agree that all of those seats the students currently occupy won't immediately fill up with the exact mirror amounts of donors. There would need to be a shift in what sections are certain donor levels, etc.

The other thing to keep in mind is some donors like to feel like they're getting something for their money. It gets tricky when the cheaper seats are nearly as good as the higher donor seats. People stop seeing any value in donating. I think some of these stadiums actually put students in prime locations not to be generous but to limit the number of premium seats so they can charge more for the ones they do have and because they are significantly better than end zone seats.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

My bad.....thought it said "2013" at first glance......eyesight failing in my older age. Thanks.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The other thing to keep in mind is some donors like to feel like they're getting something for their money. It gets tricky when the cheaper seats are nearly as good as the higher donor seats. People stop seeing any value in donating. I think some of these stadiums actually put students in prime locations not to be generous but to limit the number of premium seats so they can charge more for the ones they do have and because they are significantly better than end zone seats.
Another good point.
I'm glad I'm not the AD making these decisions...

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'd still like to hear if any of this money actually goes to the AD. I don't know, but find it a little surprising given the ISU AD's statements of "self-sufficiency". When I was a student I always thought these fees were for intramurals and rec services.

None of those fees listed go to the AD. "Recreation" is for Rec Services, mainly the State Gym renovation.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
None of those fees listed go to the AD. "Recreation" is for Rec Services, mainly the State Gym renovation.

This is wrong. $63 per student goes to the AD as a mandatory fee.

The Daily did a story on this a couple weeks ago, with this graphic:

52818724d3c15.image.jpg

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
This is wrong. $63 per student goes to the AD as a mandatory fee.

The Daily did a story on this a couple weeks ago, with this graphic:

52818724d3c15.image.jpg

So, according to that, student fees are triple what is listed by ISU, and the cyride fee is more than the entire student services fee. Yea, that seems like a reliable image.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Help Support Us

Become a patron