Do we think the students move to the SEZ?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Name me 2 better seasons. TIA.

Cant and wont. Doesn't dismiss the disaster those two were. If you want to make your self feel better go to the Sage years. Even then its iffy at best. Those 2 years where our shot to win this conference if you can't see that then thats a you problem. eel

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Students are paying about $360/ticket with the mandatory fee + ticket prices. Averaged out over those sections, seems about right.
The only way I can figure you get that number/FB ticket is if you're including all the students that pay a fee that don't get tickets. However, that completely discounts all the people that donate without getting tickets as well.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
That mandatory fee pays for a lot more than the athletic department. Cyride, Lied, and that State gym renovation are a big chunk of those fees.

Athletics fee is $63/year per student; that doesn't count the CyRide, recreation, etc. fees.

The only way I can figure you get that number/FB ticket is if you're including all the students that pay a fee that don't get tickets. However, that completely discounts all the people that donate without getting tickets as well.

I am adding in all student athletics fees plus the student tickets. Students are viewed as one entity in this block that purchase 8,000 seats collectively using those two sources of income. So it breaks down to $360 of student money per student seat in Jack Trice.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Dave...let's not forget that at least for me...I believe the children are our future. We should teach them well and let them lead the way. We should show them all the beauty they posess inside...give them a sense of pride.

sexual-chocolate.jpg

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Athletics fee is $63/year per student; that doesn't count the CyRide, recreation, etc. fees.

I am adding in all student athletics fees plus the student tickets. Students are viewed as one entity in this block that purchase 8,000 seats collectively using those two sources of income. So it breaks down to $360 of student money per student seat in Jack Trice.

In that same vein, you would have to compare that to the amount donors give that don't buy tickets as well in order to do an apples to apples comparison.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Students are paying about $360/ticket with the mandatory fee + ticket prices. Averaged out over those sections, seems about right.

Not even close when you consider the donations. The cheaper seats are also the smallest sections.

I would guess section 28-29 and P-Q would bring in more as donor seats than the entire student section is currently worth.

MHBYXRVNRMNPJPY.20130226162638.jpg

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

OK, I thought that the AD took zero student fees. Are you sure about this? I'm guessing that this money goes to intramurals, rec fields, etc. I've seen nowhere where the athletic department is getting $63 per student.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

So that $63 / student only goes to football? Wouldn't that also have to be divided by the number of men's and women's basketball tickets purchased by students. Surely you don't think students are paying full price for those courtside seats.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
After looking at the seating chart, I never really realized how big the student section is.
I am guessing if they really were to put the students in the SEZ, the student section would span the entire lower bowl of the endzone plus sections 15-18. Talk about a wall of sound!!!

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How are you getting $360? If the athletics fee is indeed $63 a year, where does the extra come from? All sports package is $250 or just football tickets are $125

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I've always thought that the students would get moved to the new SEZ. But, it does pose some issues. First, do we REALLY want the student section next to the visitor's section? Or do they move the visitors? Also, would the current SEZ/hillside patrons be willing to up their pay for donor level seats? I wonder where or how they would place a lower price entry point.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I've always thought that the students would get moved to the new SEZ. But, it does pose some issues. First, do we REALLY want the student section next to the visitor's section? Or do they move the visitors? Also, would the current SEZ/hillside patrons be willing to up their pay for donor level seats? I wonder where or how they would place a lower price entry point.
I bet they move the visitor section to the exact opposite corner where the student section currently is.
And "if" they do an upper deck in the new SEZ, I would make those affordable for the current SEZ and hillside ticket holders. Make those seats like $150/season ticket. That would ensure the upper deck in the new SEZ is always full and I bet those tickets would sell fast too. I know I would hop on those pretty fast.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Would have to see how it all hashed out and whether they still sold north hillside tickets, but if they moved the students sections 32 and S would open up at a similar price point at $175 per ticket with no required donation.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I bet they move the visitor section to the exact opposite corner where the student section currently is.
And "if" they do an upper deck in the new SEZ, I would make those affordable for the current SEZ and hillside ticket holders. Make those seats like $150/season ticket. That would ensure the upper deck in the new SEZ is always full and I bet those tickets would sell fast too. I know I would hop on those pretty fast.

Good point, would make more sense to move the visitors to the north (screw them!) and open up section J and 16 at $175 and still have a view of the scoreboard (?).

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Move the visitors to the NE corner where the students are today. I'm not sure I'd want to have the team enter the field right next to the visitor section. Doesn't seem to help the atmosphere.

On second thought. Give the visitors 32, 31,S, and R. Then surround them with the student section.

Last edited:

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
How are you getting $360? If the athletics fee is indeed $63 a year, where does the extra come from? All sports package is $250 or just football tickets are $125
The other thing I can't find from ISU's site is an athletic fee. There's an Activity, Services, Building & Recreation Fee of 317.80 per semester. I can't find anything that breaks down tuition into an AD fee.

Unless we're talking about ticket fees from buying tickets that everyone goes through.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
I was thinking that they would wait to move the students until they were sure they could still fill the more expensive seats. But say they do that 5-10 years after the sez is built they would have to re seat a lot of people and I doubt that is something they really want to do twice.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Not every school screws over their students, like some of your are suggesting the AD should try. TCU and K-State are two good examples in the Big 12 where the AD gave them good seats around midfield.

Quick math = [$63.00 fee x 30,000 students] + [$125.00 tickets x 8,000 student ticket holders] = $2.89 million from the students, not even including basketball ticket costs.

The University of Arizona gives their students one entire sideline in the lower level behind the Wildcats bench for their student section. If an AD wants the students to be a big part of the stadium experience, it can be done.