Disability or other discrimination situations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Customer service at a lot of places is complete **** for anyone honestly, though I can see how it would be even more frustrating with physical limitations.
This is why I love our small town ACE stores. It didn't click until I heard their CEO speak at a conference but they learned early on they were not going to compete online or with price against those big box stores so they focused on being helpful to people doing DIY stuff. If I'm not in a great mood it bugs me when I'm barely in the door and getting asked if I need help but I've really come to appreciate the effort they put in so I only go somewhere else if they don't have it. If they're not around, there're would be a lot of times I'm screwed.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don’t have any medical issues you have and have had similar situations at Lowe’s. I can’t say this was or wasn’t discrimination in your situation, but what I can say, is some people just suck at their job.

Only truly terrible experience I’ve had in one of these places was at a Lowe’s. Weird

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Obviously can't say for sure, but it seems odd that someone that was otherwise a good employee would refuse to help someone because they had a disability. Not saying it's not possible, but it seems more likely that he just sucks all the time for everyone.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Hearing the employees age is disappointing too. It’s one thing for a high schooler to suck at customer service, it’s another thing entirely for a grown ass man to do that.
Huh difference of opinion but that’s the age I fully expected someone to behave like this.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
More in the sense I think they should know better by that point. But their age ultimately doesn’t matter in this context.
Sure they should know better but they are also in their 40’s-50’s working as a Lowe’s attendant. Guy probably isn’t too happy with his life and couldn’t give two ***** about his job or customer service

Reactions: Cyched

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is why I love our small town ACE stores. It didn't click until I heard their CEO speak at a conference but they learned early on they were not going to compete online or with price against those big box stores so they focused on being helpful to people doing DIY stuff. If I'm not in a great mood it bugs me when I'm barely in the door and getting asked if I need help but I've really come to appreciate the effort they put in so I only go somewhere else if they don't have it. If they're not around, there're would be a lot of times I'm screwed.
Yeah, I have a favorite local hardware store, and they give great advice on what you need and sometimes even how to do certain things.

Reactions: carvers4math

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Don’t be so sure it is disability related. Lowe’s associates won’t help me either. Good luck ever getting anything special ordered. Need paint mixed, that’s not their job and the paint person seems to always be on lunch break. Just go to Home Depot, their attitude towards customers is 100x better.

At least Menards has the decency to just not have any employees around the store rather than employees that ignore you. You know going in that you’re on your own.

And BTW. Download store apps. They are so much more useful than any employee to find something. Most of them know will tell you the location down to a 8 foot bay.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Not disabled but had a bad experience at Menards yesterday/Monday.

Went to flooring and was looking at a particular plank flooring. I needed 60 boxes for the job and they had 22 on the floor. Searched around the flooring area looking but found nobody. Did it again, Still nobody. Walked to an adjacent department and asked if she could help me or call somebody to flooring. She paged customer assistance to flooring. Waited about 8-10 minutes and nobody showed up. Got out my cell phone and called the store and punched the extension for flooring. I could hear the phone ring there at the desk where I was waiting. Somebody did answer remotely. He said he was in a manager's meeting and it would be 10 minutes before he would be back. I grumbled and went to look around for a while. Came back at least 10 minutes later. Still not there. Looked around - nobody. Called the number and extension again. He said he was on the way. Finally got there.

So they left a whole department unmanned for at least 30 minutes. Even a note on the department desk saying "Sorry, emergency, will be back at 11:00" would have been better than just nobody and no response.

The rest of the story. They didn't have enough for my job. Asked if they could order it. "No, but we can request they send extra in our next shipment. But we don't know when that will be or if they will actually send it or not."

So I Picked another style. Nope don't have enough of that either. We can sell you what we have and the store in a town 30 miles away has enough to cover your need combined with what we have. I asked if they could ship it to this store or to me direct - if I paid for it here. No, I have to go that store to pick it up and pay for it.

Finally found another option one that they had enough in stock.

I spent over $2000. I ended up sending a customer feedback to their home office today with my story. We'll see if they respond.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Ok, so I've been struggling with something and need to vent. For background, this is related to my Parkinson's and inability to walk without a cane or do a lot with my hands (carry things, fine motor skills, etc). I really try to be a calm, rational, and understanding person so am not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. But this is really bugging me.

I was at the Lowe’s on Jordan Creek in West Des Moines, IA on Saturday. I was looking for a plumbing part to go along with a garbage disposal I had in my cart and the only associate I could find was at the appliance desk (he was in late 40s or 50s). I politely asked him if he could help me find something because I couldn’t find it after spending probably 10 minutes trying. He said it’s down aisle 34. I asked if he could help because I already looked there. All this time, he was looking at my cane and could clearly see I was having issues walking due and pushing the cart. He said no, it’s in 34. Again I asked for his assistance, and again he refused to move - and there were no other customers around waiting for help.

I went to isle 34 and looked again for probably 10 minutes. I went to find him again and when he saw me coming, he immediately turned around and walked away. I hit the help button in plumbing and it rang over the PA for over 10 minutes without anybody coming before just turning itself off. He walked by a couple isles away and saw me waiting there. He kept casually walking away; again he wasn’t helping anybody.

I kept waiting and looking and had to finally yell at somebody a ways away to get somebody to help. It took them over 5 minutes to find the part and it wasn’t in aisle 34.

I feel this associate purposely discriminated against me for being handicap, despite me being polite and trying multiple times to find it myself. I have never in my life felt so dehumanized and belittled as I did. I have only had my disability for around a year and this is my first encounter where I feel it wasn't just a case of bad customer experience - and I really try to be understanding and accepting of those types of things as everybody has a bad day.

I was so worked up, my chest was hurting like I was going to have a heart attack (had one last year), my blood pressure went through the roof (had 3 strokes last year), and I was shaking so badly I almost got into an accident. All which then led to a panic attack. I am a very calm and rational person, but that is absolutely unacceptable and demonstrates the level of discrimination I perceived. When I (very visibly upset) told the cashier that I was treated very rudely by an associate, she didn't even acknowledge it or apologize for that experience, let alone attempt to escalate the matter.

I called the store right when I got home and demanded to speak to the manager (call me Karen if you want). She was dismissive and flippant to the point she was hanging up when I said, um... don't you want my name and number in case you have questions?

I then found the Executive Customer Experience email address and sent a complaint matching the above. I've gotten a few replies going back and forth, but it's basically "thanks for letting us know, now forget it" every time. That doesn't address 1- the discrimination I felt, 2 - give me any comfort that those involved are held accountable, and/or 3 - show a true interest in acknowledging and fixing what may be a systemic issue at either that store or culturally in the organization.

It's very clear that at no level in the organization is there genuine understanding of what basic, consistent, and unbiased customer service and experiences should be for everybody, regardless of race, gender, disability, or anything else.

From the clear discrimination by one or more associates, the flippant handling of the complaint from the store manager, to the canned responses, I honestly don't feel like Lowe's cares one iota about how it treats those with disabilities. It's even more egregious when those customers are doing everything they can to both be polite and respectful to associates, and go out of their way - despite their struggles - of resolving matters themselves.

What I need to determine is how to proceed. Do I forget the discrimination and the immediate and lasting pain it has caused? Do I start a social media trend for people to share their stories of discrimination by Lowe's associates (I'm guessing something like that would normally trending, but I've never Tweeted or thus have followers)? Do I file a formal ADA Civil Rights Complaint? I don't know the answer.
Are you in Iowa? If you're in one of the larger cities, Contact the city's Civil Rights Commission. If you're not in city, check with the Iowa Cvil Rights commission.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Same with local True Values. And I love that you can just buy one screw or something and not a whole package.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I guess I wouldn't think this was so much discrimination as much as it was just a lazy piece of **** employee. Of course, I can't wrap my mind around discriminating against someone with a physical disability, but this just sounds like the guy who's making like $20/hour, thinks he should be making $25 but will constantly approach things with the attitude of "That's not my job."

So I would have put it on that guy when contacting people higher up and let them know they have a guy they're wasting about $40K a year on.
One of those employees that spends 1.5-2x the effort to avoid work as actually just doing the work.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sure they should know better but they are also in their 40’s-50’s working as a Lowe’s attendant. Guy probably isn’t too happy with his life and couldn’t give two ***** about his job or customer service
Many of the Menards/home improvement night and weekend people that age I deal with do it as a second job either for extra money or just have time on their hands. Usually they are very helpful when you ask them something.

Reactions: MeanDean

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The ACE near me is super helpful but I wouldn't say they come to me right away which is actually something I appreciate. They'll notice if I'm looking and ask but won't press or follow me around.

Last edited:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
What I need to determine is how to proceed. Do I forget the discrimination and the immediate and lasting pain it has caused? Do I start a social media trend for people to share their stories of discrimination by Lowe's associates (I'm guessing something like that would normally trending, but I've never Tweeted or thus have followers)? Do I file a formal ADA Civil Rights Complaint? I don't know the answer.

I say you contact

1. Corporate
What is Lowe's corporate phone number for complaints

(800) 445-6937

2. The media

3. Your Iowa Congresspeople

4. Your U.S. Congress representatives (Grassley, Ernst, & Zach Nunn, most likely)

5. The Iowa Civil Rights Commission:

You can also file with the Iowa Civil Rights Commission online or by calling (800) 457-4416. Get help filing your complaint: If you are not able to write, you can file your complaint by phone or videophone. Use the ADA Information Line at (800) 514-0301 – voice or (800) 514-0383 – TTY to schedule an appointment.

Any or all of the above.

By doing so, you will help others to avoid being discriminated against.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
They're trained to not engage because of law suits. If you're worked up enough I'd talk too a lawyer and let them handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.