Did Adam Woodbury make a mistake in choosing the Hawkeyes?

In hindsight, what should Woody have done?

• Stuck with Iowa. Damn the torpedos, Imma Hok4Lyfe

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Chosen UNC. Roy could have gotten him to at least sniff the NBA.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Forget basketball alltogether and spend his days hunting Hadrosaurs and Triceratops.

Votes: 56 60.9%

• Total voters

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Every Hawkeye fan worth his McJob will remind you that Adam Woodbury chose the Hoks over Roy Williams when he was in high school, shunning the Tarheels in favor of "the Duke of the Midwest."

As a highly ranked, home-state kid, Woody faced pretty large expectations as a result, and over the course of his career, developed a relationship with the Iowa fanbase that wavered between "meh" and "hate", with many feeling that he never lived up to his billing.

What I want to know is, looking back on his career, would Adam have been better off going with Roy? He would have had far less in the way of expectations, better coaching and development, and more exposure to pro scouts.

Would UNC have been a better option?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He would have never played or transferred out to a lower level school, both of which seem like better options than playing for Fran

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I sure Ole Roy breaths a sigh of relief every time he sees Woodbury play. As mentioned above at North Carolina Adam would have been drive our or been elected lifetime scout team captain.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Impossible to say, but I agree he would have been a nobody benchwarmer at UNC

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
If he went to UNC, he could have made the Dean's List.....so there's that.

Edit: Wow...that was brutally typed the first time...

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think Roy would of developed him into and NBA player. Fran couldn't do that.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Who knows with all the extra practice from not having to go to class at UNC, he might have turned in to a decent player.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think he was at about the right place, and the right level. I don't think he would have had much playing time at UNC. At Iowa, he was able to play consistently, and while it was never at a very high level, it was high enough to keep on the floor for them (though it can be argued that Olaseni should have had more minutes over him).

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
He would have never played or transferred out to a lower level school, both of which seem like better options than playing for Fran

Exactly my thoughts. He would have barely seen the floor and probably wanted to transfer out within 2 years. I'm sure Roy is glad he dodged the bullet with him choosing Iowa over UNC.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
While I voted hunting, I truly appreciate his time at Iowa, he was really entertaining.

Thanks for the laughs, Woody, I'm gonna miss you.:cry:

May your world be filled with eyes to poke and arms and shoulders to use for elevation.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think Roy would of developed him into and NBA player. Fran couldn't do that.

The only thing that could've gotten Woody to the NBA is Jimmy and a pair of these...

jimmy-shoe.png

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Yep, if he would have went to say UNI he would have played in a style more suited to his game and along with competition and expectations lowered he'd be viewed differently. That said Woody did get to start 4 years for a P5 team so he made the right choice even it was lack luster career.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Playing experience at Iowa clearly didn't make him better. Being coached at UNC could have possibly improved his skills a little bit, who knows.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron