Des Moines is richest city in the US

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Speaking of affordable housing, if you ever want a good laugh, grab a real estate magazine in California and see what 1 million will buy you and compare it to Des Moines, or really any where in the midwest.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Speaking of affordable housing, if you ever want a good laugh, grab a real estate magazine in California and see what 1 million will buy you and compare it to Des Moines, or really any where in the midwest.

There are reasons for the difference in prices. It's just a matter of if you value what you get outside of the brick and mortar in California.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
Honestly, I may be a bad person but this thread is pretty hilarious. A bunch of Midwesterners getting worked up because one person doesn't like the region. Well I'm seriously out now, going to get hammered on Welch.

This is comparable to telling a person God isn't real haha

Torn

Jun 6, 2010
There are reasons for the difference in prices. It's just a matter of if you value what you get outside of the brick and mortar in California.

I loved San Diego, lived there for 5 years. I miss many things about it but moved back to Iowa (I love it here) to be closer to friends and family and the things I enjoy. I do love Cali though, just not as much as Iowa. FTR, I spend much more time outdoors here.

Torn

Jun 6, 2010
Honestly, I may be a bad person but this thread is pretty hilarious. A bunch of Midwesterners getting worked up because one person doesn't like the region. Well I'm seriously out now, going to get hammered on Welch.

Are you sure you can spare the brain cells?

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Honestly, I may be a bad person but this thread is pretty hilarious. A bunch ofMidwesterners getting
worked up because one
person doesn't like the
region. Well I'm seriously out now, going to get hammered
on Welch.
This is comparable to telling
a person God isn't real
haha
wait is your egyptian friend going to be there?

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan

Yes there is. People in and from California, tend to be pretty stupid. Seriously. They are the proverbial frogs that are boiled alive because someone has turned the water up slowly so they don't notice.

California is a great place, but the cost of admittance is so far over any financial justification that only people who cannot do math choose to live there, and those ignorant of how many better places one can actually live stay there.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
If you live in the midwest there are only 2 reasonable destinations, Minneapolis and Chicago. Outside of that, the midwest sucks the big one
Minneapolis and Chicago are nice places to visit, living there not so much, especially Chicago unless you love crime and traffic. Give me the Des Moines area to live in and raise a family.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

There is some of that. But there's also a reason areas like california that had much higher values crashed much, much, harder than areas like iowa that hadnt seen the rate of accelerated growth that California did.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Minneapolis and Chicago are nice places to visit, living there not so much, especially Chicago unless you love crime and traffic. Give me the Des Moines area to live in and raise a family.

And it's not the felony kinds of crimes that make Chicago such a sucky place. It's the fact that sooner or later, everyone has to commit those little crimes just to get by, and the political situation forces people to become scummy, even if in just little ways. Doubt this? Try building something, or buying a house, or making an improvement to your house in Chicago.

If the people there ate nails, they'd poop screws, they are so crooked.

Reactions: Torn

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Nope, I'm just a realist. The midwest is terrible. I'm in Ames because I was born in Iowa and I wasn't lucky enough to have parents that would pay for out of state tuition. Iowa is Iowa, which sucks ***.

Hawkeye trolls are failing in this thread, no one has quoted Ricky Stanzi yet?!?

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
And it's not the felony kinds of crimes that make Chicago such a sucky place. It's the fact that sooner or later, everyone has to commit those little crimes just to get by, and the political situation forces people to become scummy, even if in just little ways. Doubt this? Try building something, or buying a house, or making an improvement to your house in Chicago.

If the people there ate nails, they'd poop screws, they are so crooked.
Phaedrus is back and back with a vengeance.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Yes there is. People in and from California, tend to be pretty stupid. Seriously. They are the proverbial frogs that are boiled alive because someone has turned the water up slowly so they don't notice.

California is a great place, but the cost of admittance is so far over any financial justification that only people who cannot do math choose to live there, and those ignorant of how many better places one can actually live stay there.

Your statement doesn't seem too far removed from those of the young fellow you are bagging on. Just a different location that you don't care for.

I have no problem with math comprehension. You have no idea of the value I place on being able to hop in the Ocean for a surf anytime I want, five minutes after I close my front door I'm in the water. Or seeing the smiles on my kids faces as they run around the whitewater or swim with the leopard sharks or hit the world-class zoo or SeaWorld anytime we want. There is tremendous value in any of those.

Different strokes my friend. No need to throw out insults because some people don't see the world the same way you do.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Wow, this is almost as bad as cycoOJfan89.

I will never, ever get the "You're stupid because I don't agree with your personal choices" crowd.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

I bet 10 bucks he has no friends and he is either going to go drink at a bar by himself or just stay in his room.