Des Moines is richest city in the US

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Chalk that one up to cost of living. My sister's ex boyfriend always said that coming here was like visiting Mexico. He was an *******.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The prosperity of the Des Moines Metropolitan Area has been good even through tough recession times. Yeah it slowed down, but the changes that have gone on in the past 10 years have been great for the city!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Cost of living isnt everything. If say.. your basic expenses cost 30% of your income, that remainder goes a lot farther if youre from an area with higher base (unadjusted for cost of living) income than if you come from one with lower.

Ex: if one area generally makes 50k and has a 40k cost of living, that leaves them with a lot less than someone with 100k and an 80k cost of living, especially when youre buying stuff that has standardized pricing nationwide, even though your living costs are the same % of your budget.

Reactions: cyismydog

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Good for Des Moines, but it's still a small city in the midwest... thus it still sucks a big one

You need to spend more time on street corners telling people how much the Midwest sucks, 9/11 was an inside job, and punching people over their preference for college football uniforms.

Seriously, if you hate it that much than get the **** out. Glad to know I won't be sharing a community with you any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You need to spend more time on street corners telling people how much the Midwest sucks, 9/11 was an inside job, and punching people over their preference for college football uniforms.

Seriously, if you hate it that much than get the **** out. Glad to know I won't be sharing a community with you any time soon.

+1. Plenty of other places to go if you don't like it here.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Then why the **** are you in Ames?

It's his round about way of telling us how unreasonable he is.

Or he's one of those ****** bags that think they're better than the Midwest and spend all of their time telling everyone within ear shot about how much Iowa sucks and how they can't wait to get out.

AKA "the life of the party".

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
If you live in the midwest there are only 2 reasonable destinations, Minneapolis and Chicago. Outside of that, the midwest sucks the big one

I highly disagree with this. The Midwest has lots of great destinations, just depends what you are looking for.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
Nope, I'm just a realist. The midwest is terrible. I'm in Ames because I was born in Iowa and I wasn't lucky enough to have parents that would pay for out of state tuition. Iowa is Iowa, which sucks ***.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Nope, I'm just a realist. The midwest is terrible. I'm in Ames because I was born in Iowa and I wasn't lucky enough to have parents that would pay for out of state tuition. Iowa is Iowa, which sucks ***.

Student loans. Find 'em. You are far from a realist. I'd say closer to humongous ****** bag.

I have to ask, in your know-it-all-college-student brain, what's so terrible about the Midwest?

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids

There is already a crazy guy on the corner of Welch, I'll let him have his time.