Defensive line recruits to add speed, size to Cyclones

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm very happy with the DL recruiting the past two years. 2-3 years from now, I'd love to see a starting DL made up of Irving, Aka, Pompey, and Cousin. It could be monstrous. and that's not even mentioning the other guys.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I'm very happy with the DL recruiting the past two years. 2-3 years from now, I'd love to see a starting DL made up of Irving, Aka, Pompey, and Cousin. It could be monstrous. and that's not even mentioning the other guys.
Bevins has a frame at 6'5" which gives him a frame and length that we have lacked at DE. Ferentz' attempt to get him to switch his commit, is telling. KF's success over the years has been building his raw offensive and defensive line recruits into NFL level talent. His number of NFL linemen on current NFL rosters speaks to this. Rhoads was on him early and Bevins has a lot of potential.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Bevins has a frame at 6'5" which gives him a frame and length that we have lacked at DE. Ferentz' attempt to get him to switch his commit, is telling. KF's success over the years has been building his raw offensive and defensive line recruits into NFL level talent. His number of NFL linemen on current NFL rosters speaks to this. Rhoads was on him early and Bevins has a lot of potential.

I'm not forgetting him. I'd be just as happy with him as a starter, as I would be with anyone else. and that is an accomplishment in itself. For the coaching staff to not only acquire talent, but depth as well, is a major step forward for ISU.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Good. Cause I have absolutely hated seeing the opposing QB standing still for 15 seconds before our secondary breaks down that last few years. The lack of pressure has really ****** me off.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Really? You haven't heard of a guy named Irving???

I was going to say, you may not even be naming the best four--especially if you consider that CPR compared Bevins to Jordan Carstens suggested to me that he may well end up the guy inside next to Pompey. :biggrin:

Ian, not a bad piece, but perhaps you should have reached out more, researched, instead of beginning with a simplistic, preconceived notion, and attempting to fit your facts to it. For example, it's not Mitch Meyers "bulk" that most thrills the Cyclone coaches, but his phenomenal athleticism. With a vertical jump in the mid-thirties, and a 40 in the low 4.6's, it is his sheer athleticism that they are looking forward to putting out there. That is just one example. Still, thanks very much!

Oh, btw--I have to think that it's kind of funny, all of the attention given to wrestlers in this class, and how great of football players they make. After all...David Irving was a basketball player.

Signed, a former hoopster. :wink:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I was going to say, you may not even be naming the best four--especially if you consider that CPR compared Bevins to Jordan Carstens suggested to me that he may well end up the guy inside next to Pompey. :biggrin:

Ian, not a bad piece, but perhaps you should have reached out more, researched, instead of beginning with a simplistic, preconceived notion, and attempting to fit your facts to it. For example, it's not Mitch Meyers "bulk" that most thrills the Cyclone coaches, but his phenomenal athleticism. With a vertical jump in the mid-thirties, and a 40 in the low 4.6's, it is his sheer athleticism that they are looking forward to putting out there. That is just one example. Still, thanks very much!

Oh, btw--I have to think that it's kind of funny, all of the attention given to wrestlers in this class, and how great of football players they make. After all...David Irving was a basketball player.

tumblr_lyl808eDwV1qzozj1.gif

What's Macaulay Culkin like in person?

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

The reason the attention is being paid to the wrestlers is simple. It's an individual sport and THREE members of the class are currently top-ranked in their perspective classes.

Haven't look, but I find it hard to believe that another recruiting class in America mimics that. It's a pretty unique deal. I'm the one who asked the question that led to Rhoads' quote on the wrestlers last Wednesday. I knew the background of his son's wrestling and coach gave the exact type of quote I was looking for.

And on David Irving, you are correct. But how often does ISU sign a guy of size on the defensive line? Not very.

I enjoyed Ian's piece.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What's Macaulay Culkin like in person?
I don't understand. Honestly.
Edit. Oh, I see. Sorry, I'm a little tired tonight.

Well, Janny, I know that me and the rest of the CF'ers must seem like "intellectuals" to you--but we like ya anyway! :yes:

The reason the attention is being paid to the wrestlers is simple. It's an individual sport and THREE members of the class are currently top-ranked in their perspective classes.

Haven't look, but I find it hard to believe that another recruiting class in America mimics that. It's a pretty unique deal. I'm the one who asked the question that led to Rhoads' quote on the wrestlers last Wednesday. I knew the background of his son's wrestling and coach gave the exact type of quote I was looking for.
Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a legitimate point, just, as a former basketball player who had a constant running friendly battle with wrestlers (which included my best friend, the team heavyweight), I had to defend "our" honor. Basketball players can make just as good football players as wrestlers do. :wink:

By the way, I was looking at the state rankings last week. Why is it that while lots of people talk about Bevins finishing second last year, and Seeley finishing first at heavyweight, no one ever never mentions that it must have been Seeley who beat Bevins in the final--since the two schools are in the same class?

And on David Irving, you are correct. But how often does ISU sign a guy of size on the defensive line? Not very.
I'd honestly guess that we haven't had a guy with anything close to his size and sheer athleticism on defense since since Matt Blair. That's been a while!

I enjoyed Ian's piece.
Didn't say that I didn't. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I said "thanks"! On the other hand, there is a difference between enjoying it, and recognizing that the slightest bit more effort could have made a substantial difference. After all, since this is online media, I kinda doubt that you put a limit on the number of words, as a print editor would have.

CW, perhaps I am mistaken, but it sounds like you're being a bit touchy. One reason I enjoy CF so much is the indepth analysis, the real meat, not the shallow "fluff" pieces that the print media nowadays is so accustomed to. Please pardon me if I have come not only to appreciate, but to expect a little bit higher level of performance from you and your guys.

Don't mean to sound like I'm on some high horse or something, so I'll wander along now...

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Well, Janny, I know that me and the rest of the CF'ers must seem like "intellectuals" to you--but we like ya anyway! :yes:

Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a legitimate point, just, as a former basketball player who had a constant running friendly battle with wrestlers (which included my best friend, the team heavyweight), I had to defend "our" honor. Basketball players can make just as good football players as wrestlers do. :wink:

By the way, I was looking at the state rankings last week. Why is it that while lots of people talk about Bevins finishing second last year, and Seeley finishing first at heavyweight, no one ever never mentions that it must have been Seeley who beat Bevins in the final--since the two schools are in the same class?

I'd honestly guess that we haven't had a guy with anything close to his size and sheer athleticism on defense since since Matt Blair. That's been a while!

Didn't say that I didn't. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I said "thanks"! On the other hand, there is a difference between enjoying it, and recognizing that the slightest bit more effort could have made a substantial difference. After all, since this is online media, I kinda doubt that you put a limit on the number of words, as a print editor would have.

CW, perhaps I am mistaken, but it sounds like you're being a bit touchy. One reason I enjoy CF so much is the indepth analysis, the real meat, not the shallow "fluff" pieces that the print media nowadays is so accustomed to. Please pardon me if I have come not only to appreciate, but to expect a little bit higher level of performance from you and your guys.

Don't mean to sound like I'm on some high horse or something, so I'll wander along now...

Yeah CW, Ians piece needed to tell me who was EVEN with who in this class. That would have really added some meat to it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I think that wrestling skills - and wrestlers - are generally a distinct advantage at some positions (generally the power positions e.g. OL, DL, LB and RB) while basketball skills - and basketball players - are generally an advantage at other positions (generally the "skill"* positions e.g. WR, CB, QB). In my opinion TE and S (and to some extent LB and RB) are the positions where there is the greatest mix of the skills from both disciplines.

For what it is worth, CW might have been a little sensitive because your initial criticism may have read a little more scathing than you appeared to intend it.

*I cringe everytime I use the term "skill positions" because it ignores the fact that there are just as many skills required for each position on the football field.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Well then you failed.

When are you going to start writing articles for CF?

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
"I'd honestly guess that we haven't had a guy with anything close to his size and sheer athleticism on defense since since Matt Blair. That's been a while!"

Uh, I'm guessing Reggie Heyward (spelling) may have something very big to say about that. ISU hasn't had any other defensive end with his size and ability.

Hopefully, Irving can develop and become something similar.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Uh, I'm guessing Reggie Heyward (spelling) may have something very big to say about that. ISU hasn't had any other defensive end with his size and ability.
I'd disagree. Reggie Hayward was a very good athlete, good enough to excel in the NFL. Both Blair and Irving are freakish athletes, especially for their size.

Part of the legend of Blair was that he could jump and put a quarter on the top of a backboard. Then jump and take it off.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

It looks to me like they're taking a different approach at DE. ISU has had effort guys like Neal and Lattimer. They've also had speed guys like Nelson, Maggitt and Scott. The problem is that none of these guys could get to the QB and the lighter/smaller ones got destroyed in the run game by huge OTs. Seems to me that they've decided to get bigger, taller guys who have a chance to stand up to OTs in the run game and have long enough arms to try to keep from getting eveloped while rushing the passer. Kinda like the iowa philosophy of not really caring if the guy can run a 4.7, just bullrush and play physical at DE. At DT/NG, it looks to me like they are getting a little more athletic.

DE
Maggitt - Solid all-around player, but still needs to bulk up and he has to be spelled at times. Will he be ready?
Nelson - Decent pass rusher, but not very tall.
Scott - Won't ever stand up an OT, but works to get around them. Good at getting into the backfield...not an every down player though.
Irving - Almost unlimited potential. Needs to get stronger in the weightroom.
Morrissey - A taller Neal. Should help right away.
Lemke - Great athleticism, but will need to add 25 lbs over the next few years to play.
Aka - I think that he'll play sooner rather than later, but will probably still need a RS year.

DT/NG
McDonough - Solid if not spectacular. He knocks OLs backward quite a bit. Doesn't have much for speed or agility with the added weight, but he usually gets the job done.
Laing - Very athletic, but he's not as good at getting off of blocks as you'd like. Hoping for a big SR year.
Simon - We saw so little of him this year that it's hard to know what to expect. If he keeps his grades up, we can hope for the light to come on and for him to contribute.
Woods - I really thought that he was playing better towards the end of the year. Should only improve.
Jensen - Surprisingly saw time this year and did OK. Should be a nice rotation guy.
Pompey - Like Irving, he has a great upside. I'm betting that the RS year helped him quite a bit and he's going to be in the rotation if not start this fall.
Kron - For some reason I think that he ends up inside, but maybe he plays a year or two at DE first? Just from HS and the Shrine Game, he has a nice motor.
Meyers - Staff loves his athleticism. Should play a lot down the line.
Bevins - I don't think that he'll play a down at DE. He's the next Jake McDonough in two years.
Cousins - A NG that will back up Pompey and rotate in after a RS year.

I couldn't be happier with how they've filled the pipeline on the DL. They may have to get a JUCO or two to help replace McDonough, Laing, Simon, Maggitt and Nelson, but after that, I think that they can focus solely on HS players.

Reactions: Aclone

Mel

Aug 19, 2010
Central Iowa
I spoke with Lemke the other night. This kid has gotten big over his first semester at ISU, still needs to add more weight to his frame. I know when he arrived on campus last June he was a skinny 210lb small town Iowa kid. Lemke stated he is almost 230lbs now. Still has a semester and a summer before the first snap in September to gain another 15 to 20lbs plus four more years to play.

Yancey's weight program is working for him. I asked Lemke if his speed has been affected by the gain in weight. If you know Devin then you know he just smiled and softly stated "Nope". Keep in mind folks this kid has a motor!! Anchored Iowa Falls-Alden's 4x100 meter track relay team to a champioship his junior year in highschool and to a runner-up spot his senior year.
Plus he was a wrestler!!:yes: His only loss came from Kane Seeley at the state tournament his senior year.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Some people wonder why we like wrestlers. What I have seen is that they just know how to use their hands and leverage and just seem to be really good tacklers. Once they get a hand on you you aren't going any further.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Some people wonder why we like wrestlers. What I have seen is that they just know how to use their hands and leverage and just seem to be really good tacklers. Once they get a hand on you you aren't going any further.

One thing I really like about ISU recruiting great wrestlers is that none of them have bad weight on them. They are all lean muscle and are basically clean slates for Yancy to work with. If they are fast enough, they only need to add ~25 lbs to max out their potential at LB. If they aren't as quick or have a bigger frame, they can add enough weight to contribute on the DL.