Defending Pollard: the wrong point of emphasis.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I don't recall this. Is there any kind of link you can provide? According to this, the first season replay was used in any form in college football was 2006, McCarney's last year and one in which we went 1-7 in conference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_replay_in_American_and_Canadian_football

Big 12 used for conference games that were televised starting in 2005.
2 calls that my foggy memory seems to remember from the KU game
1- TD pass to Blythe in endzone. Ref immediately signals TD. Stripes come together, decided to rule incomplete and upon review there was an angle that appeared Blythe had a foot in but it was not "indisputable"
2- KU ran a qb sneak at GL on 4th down, refs say he didn't get in. Come together in huddle and decide he did get in and there is no angle that would have refuted the call either way.
SOmeone please correct me if I am wrong. 10 seasons ago now so I could definitely be off.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Everyone is so quick to defend Pollard with the disclaimer "we aren't saying that the call cost us the game." Obviously Pollard's comments are an appeal to somehow change the culture of officiating in the Big 12, and I applaud him for it, despite the unintended consequence. I do think it is unfortunate that many outsiders will check out Pollards comments on ESPN or whatever, and will think he is whining, and that ISU has a bad underdog complex. But when you look at the actual reversal, it is clearly such an incredibly egregious error- absolutely no indisputable evidence to reverse the call on the field- that I think it puts conspiracy theories on the table. Is money changing hands? is there unethical pressure on officials from the big dogs in the league? Was the replay official an effing Cowboy fan? wtf?! Whatever the reason for the call, that's not the point of this post. I would like to criticize the defensive point of emphasis coming from many people who are defending Pollard with the above disclaimer. "nobody is saying the call cost us the game." I understand the point, but I think its the wrong point of emphasis. Everybody knows that momentum is a very significant dynamic in a game. Intangible, but significant. Rather than saying, "hey we're not saying we would have won. . . " i'd like to hear something like, "the call was incontrovertibly horrible, it changed the momentum in a major way, and therefore, it influenced the outcome of the game beyond what the scoreboard reflects. Without a doubt." Personally, I would be inclined to say that, if we get that stop at the end of the half, we have maybe a 30% chance of winning the game. But as it turned out, our chances were slim to none without a wave of momentum and confidence coming into the 2nd half.
Just because YOU have not seen any evidence to reverse the call on the field doesn't mean that the replay booth didn't have it. They don't show every camera angle and feed on tv for everything.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Just because YOU have not seen any evidence to reverse the call on the field doesn't mean that the replay booth didn't have it. They don't show every camera angle and feed on tv for everything.

In that case, the BIG12 could release those extra camera angles that the public has not seen yet. Controversy over. However they have not because there aren't any. The replay official gets the network feeds, there are no other cameras.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
There is no doubt ISU has been on the short end of calls from Big XII officials. It did cost them the Texas game last year. Having said that I see a different motivation for Pollard. I believe he is trying to protect both his and Rhoad's jobs by focusing attention away from the record.

I agree the Big XII officials are incompetent and in some cases biased but that isn't why ISU has lost to division II programs in each of the last two years and why ISU has an undersized defensive line with no apparent interest in recruiting that position.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is no doubt ISU has been on the short end of calls from Big XII officials. It did cost them the Texas game last year. Having said that I see a different motivation for Pollard. I believe he is trying to protect both his and Rhoad's jobs by focusing attention away from the record.

I agree the Big XII officials are incompetent and in some cases biased but that isn't why ISU has lost to division II programs in each of the last two years and why ISU has an undersized defensive line with no apparent interest in recruiting that position.

As has been covered before there is a lot of green between inability and lack of interest. There are a hell of a lot Div 1 teams that have to settle for growing players into and developing talent to fill the D-line gap rather than being able to find ready made power 5 conference D-line material to fill their entire D-line 2 deep. Couple that with having to let two of your best D-line players go because they were asshats, and you will feel the hurt at the position.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012

I guess you should tell that to the announcers who were flabbergasted at the call, as well as everyone else. This is not a point people discuss. if the angle was available for the replay officials it seems like that it would have been available to the camera crew and producers of the game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I guess you should tell that to the announcers who were flabbergasted at the call, as well as everyone else. This is not a point people discuss. if the angle was available for the replay officials it seems like that it would have been available to the camera crew and producers of the game.

Just because the footage comes from the production crew's cameras doesn't mean the production crew has access to the footage. How can you be so obtuse?

tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o1_500_zps75ee3d85.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron